Looking to buy a 2015 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy a 2015 Explorer Sport

rdlangston13

Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Hey guys, my wife and I are expecting our first child so we will have to trade in her 370Z and get something a little more family friendly. We are looking hard at the 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. Anyone have any opinions on this as a family vehicle as well as things I should be weary of?? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a black 2014 Sport which was a very good easy to own performance truck. People often unfairly rate it against higher grade vehicles. For what it is I find it very good. I am waiting for my 2016 Sport to come in hopefully by mid July.

I also am looking at a 2015 sport, however after crunching numbers it may be just out of my price range.

I like the XLT with appearance package for that sport look, but am not too thrilled with the leather/suede interior.

The Limited trim may be the way for me to go at this point.

The sport is so nice though.

Just a note to say that which ever model you are considering, it will have to be bought off the dealer's lot since orders for the 2015 closed about 2 months ago. The XLT 'Appearance Package' was deleted on the 2016 XLT.

Peter

yeah we don't plan on ordering one. What we are hoping is to find a ruby red one in a dealer inventory that we can scoop up at a good price due to the 2016s coming out. My only requirement is that is be a Sport and have the 401A package. My wife requires it to be Ruby Red.

What do ya'll think a fair price is on one considering the 2016s are hitting the lots?

We have had our 2015 Explorer Sport for about a month now. It is fully loaded with all the options and we are REALLY happy with it so far.

Just took it on our first road trip (only 200 mile round trip, but still) and the kids were really comfortable as were the wife and I.

I am very happy with all the tech even though I've seen some people complaining about Sync it all works well for me.

I have two complaints, both fuel related. First, I'm only getting about 15.5MPG. Granted I'm having fun with the big engine so that is partly my fault, but still. Second. I wish it had a larger fuel tank so I didn't have to fill up quite as often.

Overall, however, I'd highly recommend it. Looks great. Rides smooth. Lots of fun.

Michael

EDIT - If you have any specific questions just let me know.

Love my 14 sports. Looks great. Mine is loaded with bucket seats. MPG isnt great and i also with fuel tank was bigger. Power is great for a heavy teuck and the turbo noise (with intake) makes the MPGs worse :p

My truck does have the hard accel smell but it really doesn't bother me

Is it necessary to run 91 or 93 octane fuel in the sport?

Is it necessary to run 91 or 93 octane fuel in the sport?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
The answer to your question is NO.

Page 196 in the Owner's Guide;

2.0L/3.5L EcoBoost® engines:
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow.

I used 91 octane during the Winter and 87 now and there is no change in MPG. Can't really comment on improved performance since I don't 'push' my vehicle.

If your really interested in the 2015 model, I suggest that you check or download the PDF Owner's Guide to look through.
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals-search-results.html

Peter

Been using 93 lately

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
The answer to your question is NO.

Page 196 in the Owner's Guide;

2.0L/3.5L EcoBoost® engines:
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow.

I used 91 octane during the Winter and 87 now and there is no change in MPG. Can't really comment on improved performance since I don't 'push' my vehicle.

If your really interested in the 2015 model, I suggest that you check or download the PDF Owner's Guide to look through.
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals-search-results.html

Peter

Thanks for this! I just noticed that on the Ford website the hp and torque numbers were taken with 93 octane fuel so it had me wondering. Basically if I plan on towing, go with premium, other than that regular unleaded will work fine. Now to decide if I want to try and buy in July or August....

Thanks for this! I just noticed that on the Ford website the hp and torque numbers were taken with 93 octane fuel so it had me wondering. Basically if I plan on towing, go with premium, other than that regular unleaded will work fine. Now to decide if I want to try and buy in July or August....

If you plan on towing, just make sure that you get an Explorer with the factory installed tow package or you will only be able to tow half the rated tow capacity. There is threads on this forum that covers this.
Good Luck!

If you plan on towing, just make sure that you get an Explorer with the factory installed tow package or you will only be able to tow half the rated tow capacity. There is threads on this forum that covers this.
Good Luck!

Thanks but I think all the Sports come with the tow package? Also I would only tow with it rarely. I have a 2006 Ram Hemi that is my primary tow vehicle for our boat, the explorer would just be used to cover short distances in a pinch since our boat I think slightly exceeds the tow capacity. 3400# dry weight plus 1200# or so for a tandem axle trailer, then add in 40 gallons of fuel, batteries, ropes, anchors, jackets ect I think I am pushing 100-200 lbs over 5k.

I've had my 15 xsport since February. I've done probably 4 road trips and no one has complain about leg room or comfortability. Love this car. Plenty of speed. If you're worried about MPG you shouldn't get an suv.. Honestly aside from that I can't complain. Take a test drive and see for yourself. I also have a ruby red and just love the color. It really grew on me after a couple of days.

Not sure why they couldn't make the tank bigger..my only real issue. I mean i have a few small ones i am bringing up with dealer...but nothing major

Window Chatter watch for and **** to park issue..both easy fixes

Not quite...they (Sports) did have the light duty towing package with a maximum trailer weight of 2000 pounds. To get the maximum towing (5000 pounds), you must order the optional heavy duty towing package, even on the Sports. See: http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/15RV&TT_Ford_Explorer_Sep30.pdf
The question I was answering was "Thanks but I think all the Sports come with the tow package?" It does.When you go the Build & Price on the Ford website, they show the Sport includes a class III towing package as standard equipment.

The Class III Trailer Tow Package, required for towing with the Explorer, includes a Class III frame-mounted hitch, 4- and 7-pin trailer connectors, and engine oil cooler. Enables towing up to 5,000 pounds, when properly equipped.

The 'extras' the owner has to buy will complete the 5000 lb package.

Peter

Go for it! We just bought a 2015 Explorer Sport 2 weeks ago. The 2015 looks way better than the 2016. Make sure you get the 2nd row bucket seats, they recline and are much more comfortable that then bench seat. Also get the adaptive cruise control. I've only used it a few times but I already can't imagine not having it. You should be able to get a great deal right now because the dealers are trying to get rid of the 2015's to make room for the 2016's. Expect to get at least $6k off MSRP including the rebates.

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The question I was answering was "Thanks but I think all the Sports come with the tow package?" It does.When you go the Build & Price on the Ford website, they show the Sport includes a class III towing package as standard equipment.

The Class III Trailer Tow Package, required for towing with the Explorer, includes a Class III frame-mounted hitch, 4- and 7-pin trailer connectors, and engine oil cooler. Enables towing up to 5,000 pounds, when properly equipped.

The 'extras' the owner has to buy will complete the 5000 lb package.

Peter

Soo....how much can I tow with my Sport and the standard towing Class 3 package (52T)? Ford's brochure says, from the way I read it, only 2000 lbs unless I purchased the "optional heavy duty Tow Package and weight-distributing hitch", then I can tow the maximum for an Explorer, 5000 lbs. Do I have the optional heavy duty Tow Package? It's not on the window sticker under options. I think Ford needs to make it clearer or I'm just a dummy :D .

Back to the OP and to keep thread on topic, I have a Ruby Red Sport and it is gorgeous. Never thought I'd buy a "maroon" red vehicle again after a poor experience in the early 80's with one. In the sunlight it is absolutely beautiful.

Back