Looking to buy a explorer, question for owners! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy a explorer, question for owners!

Hey all, Got two kids now and looking to upsize from our Toyota Corolla.

My wife and I have looked at a lot of third row SUV's and got our hearts set on the Explorer. I was searching around all the dealers to call around and find the best deal when I came across the Carbon Monoxide/Sulfur smell problem on google, I see a few old posts about it and the TSB's not completely fixing the issue but they are all old posts. I am wondering did Ford finally fix this issue?

It's not really a big deal but my wife goes on long trips and I don't want my kids breathing carbon monoxide the whole time!

I hope you guys can talk me into buying one still, they are awesome SUV's!

The smell usually only comes after a WOT or high RPM run. Other than that, you don't really notice it or it's not there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 2 cents...

during summer:

Black ext and int = a good looking car with a hotter than hell cabin all day long.

(headliner & sunroof glass are too hot to touch from inside):eek:

.......I'm 6' and I can barely see the part of the road that is lit up by the driving lights. I'd bet a 5½"er wouldn't be able to see if the driving lights are on or not.
They are fog lights, not driving lights. You don't want to have bright lights in a foggy situation. I doubt I used mine more than 2 or 3 times during the 3 years I had the Explorer.

Peter

They are fog lights, not driving lights. You don't want to have bright lights in a foggy situation. I doubt I used mine more than 2 or 3 times during the 3 years I had the Explorer.

Peter

Regardless, they are feeble and near useless. The auxiliary lights on the 3rd and 4th generation Exs were worthy and useful in a lot of situations. I drive my Explorers a lot in the dark and usually in rural areas full of pothole-scared roads and nocturnal wildlife. The 5th generation Explorer is a hateful step down from the prior versions when driving at night in non-urban areas. It is so bad that I regret buying the vehicle without looking very seriously at alternatives.

HID was an option (*if you bought new*) and for a couple hundred bucks you can have HID on yours and makes a world of difference!

HID was an option (*if you bought new*) and for a couple hundred bucks you can have HID on yours and makes a world of difference!

The Limited was way, way more than a couple of hundred extra dollars. Besides, why should adequate headlights be an upgrade?

Look guys, I have loved my previous Explorers. I dislike my current one. I have 10 months and 20,000 miles on it. I've got a list as long as my arm for the reasons why I don't like it. This is not a troll or a knee jerk reaction. These are substantive complaints from a Ford Fan (I've bought 4 Explorers, 2 Escapes and a Windstar). I have had almost no complaints with the previous 6 Fords. But, I have real issues with the current one.

The Limited was way, way more than a couple of hundred extra dollars. Besides, why should adequate headlights be an upgrade?

Look guys, I have loved my previous Explorers. I dislike my current one. I have 10 months and 20,000 miles on it. I've got a list as long as my arm for the reasons why I don't like it. This is not a troll or a knee jerk reaction. These are substantive complaints from a Ford Fan (I've bought 4 Explorers, 2 Escapes and a Windstar). I have had almost no complaints with the previous 6 Fords. But, I have real issues with the current one.

I don't hate mine, but I'm not very impressed with this version either. I've had mine for 11 months and luckily it's only a leased vehicle which will go back at lease end. I was way more of a fan of the older truck based Explorer than I am of this wimp-mobile. I scratch my head at people spending over $50K on these vehicles. Mine is an XLT and stickered right around 30K which is about what it is worth.

Build quality just isn't there. I compare materials, fit and finish to my Nissan Murano and the Explorer is lacking in all departments. The door handles are flimsy and that's my latest issue. Creaking and moaning in the driver's door panel when I put up the window. That and all the other squeaks and rattles make me glad I have Sirius Radio so I can drown out the noises.

Shop around...

I leased my 2013 Explorer a few years ago as I am in the same situation as you. Growing family and need more space.

I would really shop around and test drive every SUV you can. I thought the Explorer was a good fit for kids but is not.

The 3rd row is way too hard to get in and out of for kids. My 8 and 9 year old aren't even strong enough to get the seat to flip forward so I have to do it for them. We have just given up and all 3 kids cram in the middle row.

Our has various quality issues. I haven't brought it in because I don't really care, its a lease and I've already decided it's getting turned back in. Not enough quality to spend my hard earned $$ on.

Besides the exhaust smell which is really bad, mine has stuttering windows, stuff in the paint in various spots, squeaky brakes when coming to a stop, the wipers don't work on high, it hard shifts when cold and it has a exhaust leak somewhere that sounds like a tapping noise while accelerating... oh, and it just turned 20K miles...

Just way too many issues for me to have confidence in it long term or recommend it to another family.

I leased my 2013 Explorer a few years ago as I am in the same situation as you. Growing family and need more space.........
Our has various quality issues. I haven't brought it in because I don't really care, its a lease and I've already decided it's getting turned back in. Not enough quality to spend my hard earned $$ on.
I'm not sure what your lease agreement says but mine states this under VEHICLE MAINTENANCE, OPERATING COSTS AND VEHICLE REPAIRS:
At your own expense. You will keep the Vehicle in good order and see that all needed repairs are made.

Some of the models have power folding 2nd row seats that the kids could easily operate.

Peter

I'm not sure what your lease agreement says but mine states this under VEHICLE MAINTENANCE, OPERATING COSTS AND VEHICLE REPAIRS:
At your own expense. You will keep the Vehicle in good order and see that all needed repairs are made.

Some of the models have power folding 2nd row seats that the kids could easily operate.

Peter

I think you misinterpreted my post Peterk9. I do take care of all the scheduled maintenance myself. I was simply stating that I'm not going to waste my time taking it in (120 miles round trip) for all of the quality issues. Ford can fix them when I turn it in. I have been tempted to take it in for the ticking noise as it can get really annoying on long trips. However, I just don't have the time to be without a vehicle. If a check engine light comes on or something I'll have it hauled in.

I guess I'm in the mindset that I'll treat the truck with as much care as the quality team at ford gives it during assembly... almost zero. I change the oil when the maintenance minder goes off, that's about it.

Am I bitter Ford let a truck off the line with obvious issues or has yet to fix the exhaust smell issue, heck yes, it was 2013 when this truck was slapped together, not 1982. :)

Oh and I forgot another thing, my rear bumper is separating from the truck along the top seam on both sides, there is about a 1/4' gap on both sides.

IMO the Explorer is a great concept that I believe is executed poorly. I love the IDEA of the Explorer but not the actual hard product. I just want the OP to explore other options before falling in love with the truck.

Back