Looking to buy an Explorer TODAY! Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy an Explorer TODAY! Help!

KC10Chief

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer V8
In a couple of hours, I'm going to go look at a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT. It has 61,000 miles, the 4.0L engine, 4x4 and looks to be in real good shape from the pictures I'm seen. The dealer is asking $9,950 for it. Keep in mind, I live in Alaska and vehicles are a little more expensive here than in the lower 48. Still, is there anything I should be aware of or look out for such as known issues with this year model? Below is a link to the ad. Thanks for your quick replies!
Matt in Anchorage

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/ctd/1243978673.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a few things that i would check that is the rear springs, make sure that they are not broken in anyway. Next is one thing that i have noticed is that they say that is has a tow package but it may not, it has to have the 2" receiver with the trans cooler and 3.73 gears to have the tow package. Other then that i think that is a good deal so if those things check out go for it.

thats nice keep us updated if you buy it or not and if you do buy it you will find out a lot of help we are are very friendly and we like to help each other out too.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice! I'm about to head out to go look at it. We'll see. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and just wanted to see if these things had any common issues that I could look for. I'll check out the tow package thing. My current truck is a 2WD 98 Chevy Silverado. Nothing really wrong with it. I just don't like it. It sucks driving in the snow here too. They'll probably bend me over on the trade up here since it's only 2WD. HA! 4x4 is a big deal up here.

That really looks like an XLS to me... But I could be wrong. You're right- vehicles up there are more expensive!

Thats definatly an xls.

Well, I went and checked out that Explorer and was pretty disappointed. It wasn't as nice as the pictures made it look of course. Also, there was some body damage on the back hatch. It had a crack right through the wiper attachment. Something rattled and clunked around in there like crazy while driving down the road. On the way home, I passed the big Ford dealer in town. Somebody just traded in an Explorer that was exactly what I was looking for. They made me a deal on my Silverado and I drove the Explorer home. It's a 2002 Eddie Bauer Edition. It has the 4.6L in it, 4X4, heated leather seats, moon roof, tow package, third row seating, block heater, new tires, and 50,000 miles. It drives super nice and I'm very pleased with it so far. It's a huge improvement over my Silverado. My wife has a brand new Pontiac G6. I think she likes my Explorer more. HA! Here's some pics.

IMGP2296.jpg

IMGP2295.jpg

IMGP2297.jpg

IMGP2300.jpg

IMGP2301.jpg

IMGP2302.jpg

IMGP2298.jpg

IMGP2297.jpg

DOH! I didn't notice the dent in the front bumper until looking at the pics. HA! Oh well. In Alaska, it's only a matter of time before it gets more dents in it. :D

Nice 02, make sure the SES lamp is not blown.

nice truck, definatly nicer than the original one you were going to look at.

DOH! I didn't notice the dent in the front bumper until looking at the pics. HA! Oh well. In Alaska, it's only a matter of time before it gets more dents in it. :D

Your wife probably did the with the G6 out of jealousy.

Welcome to the forum!!

Much nicer truck! Love that color combo...

deffinately got a way better one, that dents no biggy tho. Any plans for mods on that bad boy?

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't all EB Explorers come with side steps? Its the first thing I noticed when looking at the pics...I myself have never seen one with out the factory side steps. Just curious :)

^ I noticed the same thing, maybe the old owner removed them.

^ I was wondering that too! ^

nice eddie it looks bad ass u plan on doing mods to it or what

Red's the best!

Absolutely great looking X! Mine's brown and I wish it was red.

Just an idea - those factory running boards/side steps (or whatever they're called) seem to save the bottoms of the doors and rocker panels from any stones kicked up by the front tires. If you don't mind giving up an inch or so of ground clearance, they will save a lot of stone chips down there.

And you will have fun in the snow this winter! My 4.6 XLT with mud/snow tires will keep right up with my neighbor's 3/4 ton Ford and Chevy 4X4 pickups on the messy winter roads here!

Thanks for all of the replies! This is a great site! As for mods, I doubt I'll do much. I wouldn't mind having a different head unit, but it might mess up my steering wheel controls for the radio. Anybody know anything about this?

I'm fine with no running boards. There's a lot of roads in Alaska that I might need more clearance on. I like fishing. We'll see. I guess the previous owner removed them.

My step dad is a foreman for BP out in western Oklahoma. He manages a lot of oil and gas drilling sites. His company vehicle was an 05 Explorer for a while. He loved it. He has to drive down dirty, muddy, rocky roads and trails all the time. He said his Explorer was great. A few months ago, they took his Explorer and gave him a Tahoe. He says the Tahoe sucks and that he's been stuck several times in situations that the Explorer wouldn't have been. I'm not sure what the difference is, but that's what he says. My dad is retired from GM. I've always been a GM guy. We own a new Pontiac now. I'm pretty disappointed with GM lately though. I'm sure you've all seen the news. Plus, they pretty much crapped all over my dad. I used to have a F-250 with the 7.3L Diesel. That truck was awesome. I'm pretty much a Ford convert now. I didn't even look at Chevy's when shopping for a vehicle this time.

What are some popular mods for these things? I'm not into rims or anything like that. I'm happy with the current appearance. Just curious what you guys are doing to yours.

I've been reading through these threads about issues with Explorers. I haven't noticed any of them with mine. I see a lot about wheel bearings and howling rear ends and things like that. Good things to look out for.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, the 4.6L is the way to go!

I got one too and i love it!
They got good speed for a small v8

(although i wouldn't buy the 4.6L in an f-150, i think they are absolute dog slow, since it's alot heavier.)

Put some BFG Mud Terrains on that sucker, it will feel as sturdy as a tank when compared to the stock tires which make the SUV feel kinda wobbly and tilty when taking turns.
Those M/T's are excellent for snow too, since you have Independant Suspension.

Back