Looking to buy an explorer... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy an explorer...

The 4.0 has 4 timing chains, located in the front and back.. Avoid this motor at all costs.

The 4.6L V8 only has two timing chains in the front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I paid $1600 for my '02 from the original owner with 98,000 miles and a thick stack of receipts of work done. I spent another $600 getting things done (both front hubs, right rear window regulator and motor, replaced stereo) and have put another 4,000 miles on it. It drives tight and smooth with no strange noises or oddities. I am getting ready to give it to my 72 year old step father as a gift, it will never be driven more than 10 miles one way again.

I'd look for a truck that has proof of timing components changed.

Not sure if your looking to travel but I'll be selling my wife's 04 Explorer soon I think (if i don't keep it for myself). Just upgraded her to an expedition. It's an 04 XLT 4.0 4x4 with 06 tail gate swap, 2" rancho lift and 265/75r16 duratracs(even the spare). Has an 07 ranger engine (has latest update to timing guides) with about 90k on it now. Truck has 165k on it now. We have driven the truck from Virginia to Vermont probably 10 times visiting family. It has either moog or timkin wheel bearings all the way around, rear end was rebuilt completely around 130k. I even recently pulled the dash to fix the 3 broken blend doors that all these trucks commonly have. It's only bad spot on the whole truck is some oxidation on the front of the hood. No rust at all underneath. I don't know what kbb is but I do know this truck is in better shape than most out there and I wouldn't take any less than $4500. Send me a pm if interested.

1502200345647.jpg

1502200454535.jpg

It's only bad spot on the whole truck is some oxidation on the front of the hood.
I think these hoods are aluminum, so no rust possible (but common problem with paint on front edge, due in part to use of steel catch not playing well with aluminum hood).

Suburban in tow/haul:
Suburban is a different class of vehicle, comparable with Expedition, not Explorer. Agree that would be a lot to tow with an 'Ex (especially the 2v 4.6 vs. the 3v 4.6 that came along after 2006). And pretty sure Ford's tow guide does not recommend towing that load w/o functioning trailer brakes.

Boomin': Did you swap in later model year rear light assemblies (gen 4), or were those oem in '04? Good looking truck.

I don't have one, but that model 4.6l might have the infamous "two-piece" spark plugs that often break in half when you go to remove them. PITA. Eric O. at South Main Auto has a video on replacing them. He's pretty fearless, and you can just tell from the look on his face and his body language how much he hates doing that job. You need a special tool, and even then.... Ford corrected the problem with head re-design and new plugs on the 4.6 3v v8's built after 11/30/07. Mechanics apparently charge hundreds of dollars to do this job on the 2-piece plugs. (Nb: not an issue on the 4.0's,which use normal plugs.)

So if you're serious about this car, (a) check to see plugs when last replaced; (b) change the plugs every 50k (if that, instead of 100k), especially if you DIY; and (c) use nickel-based anti-seize as recommended by Ford--though there's no consensus how effective this is.

Go look up Ford explorer on car complaints . com #1 worst car 2002 Ford Explorer, #2 worst car is 2003 Explorer
This is not quite accurate. #2 is the 2003 Honda Accord; #3 is a Sonata. http://www.carcomplaints.com/worst_vehicles/ .

More importantly, it's not clear whether this site's methodology corrects for numbers of cars sold. Given that Honda accords and civics (and even the vaunted Toyota Camry) are in the top twenty worst list, my guess is not. In other words, high-volume models will generate disproportionate complaints b/c, well, there are more of sold. (Admittedly, the site says it also factors in cost of repair and average mileage of repair--but not volume.) I'm from Detroit, and as proud as I am of GM, I have to say I'm a little surprised they're not on the list anywhere.

The '02 Ex sold 434k units: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer#Sales. The #2 "worst car," an '03 Accord, sold almost 400k units that year. Those are high volumes.

And while we all agree that the 4.0's timing chains are a concern (went bad on mine at 179k), I noticed that they did not even make the top five list of complaints for that year (no.7), and that there were literally 10x more complaints about the transmissions than about the engines.

Still, interesting data. They say that of the 39 timing chain failure complaints, the average mileage was 96k and change, and cost an average of $3,200 to repair. Good info.

I just like driving my '02 Ex, which feels great. My transmission has not burped in 185k miles and the rear hatch didn't crack, so I got that goin' for me . . ..

Boomin': Did you swap in later model year rear light assemblies (gen 4), or were those oem in '04? Good looking truck.

Yes they are 4th gen tails along with the painted to match 4th gen hatch. The old 04 one had the crack in the top peice and I wanted a permanent fix. I posted a thread somewhere about the swap, the wiring was the only differences.

This is not quite accurate. #2 is the 2003 Honda Accord; #3 is a Sonata. http://www.carcomplaints.com/worst_vehicles/ .

More importantly, it's not clear whether this site's methodology corrects for numbers of cars sold. Given that Honda accords and civics (and even the vaunted Toyota Camry) are in the top twenty worst list, my guess is not. In other words, high-volume models will generate disproportionate complaints b/c, well, there are more of sold. (Admittedly, the site says it also factors in cost of repair and average mileage of repair--but not volume.) I'm from Detroit, and as proud as I am of GM, I have to say I'm a little surprised they're not on the list anywhere.

The '02 Ex sold 434k units: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer#Sales. The #2 "worst car," an '03 Accord, sold almost 400k units that year. Those are high volumes.

And while we all agree that the 4.0's timing chains are a concern (went bad on mine at 179k), I noticed that they did not even make the top five list of complaints for that year (no.7), and that there were literally 10x more complaints about the transmissions than about the engines.

Still, interesting data. They say that of the 39 timing chain failure complaints, the average mileage was 96k and change, and cost an average of $3,200 to repair. Good info.

I just like driving my '02 Ex, which feels great. My transmission has not burped in 185k miles and the rear hatch didn't crack, so I got that goin' for me . . ..

When I bought my explorer in summer of 2014 #1 was 2002 Explorer and #2 was 2003 Explorer

Also, the reason I compared it to the Suburban is because Ford is trying to compete with the 1500 class via the ratings. So it is perfectly fair to compare two separate vehicles that are both rated to handle 7,000lbs of towing. One is 1500 and the other sub 1500. Yet rated the same. Do they perform the same? NO WAY IN HELL. I would be way out of line if the Explorers were rated for 5,000lbs and our Suburban was rated for 9,600Lbs (4X2 with the 6.0) but they aren't. I'm directly comparing 7,000lb rating to 7,000lb rating. Just in case anyone gets their hopes up about towing with these small suvs.

When I bought my explorer in summer of 2014 #1 was 2002 Explorer and #2 was 2003 Explorer

Also, the reason I compared it to the Suburban is because Ford is trying to compete with the 1500 class via the ratings. So it is perfectly fair to compare two separate vehicles that are both rated to handle 7,000lbs of towing. One is 1500 and the other sub 1500. Yet rated the same. Do they perform the same? NO WAY IN HELL. I would be way out of line if the Explorers were rated for 5,000lbs and our Suburban was rated for 9,600Lbs (4X2 with the 6.0) but they aren't. I'm directly comparing 7,000lb rating to 7,000lb rating. Just in case anyone gets their hopes up about towing with these small suvs.
Fair enough.

the 4.0 v6 engine is junk, what I mean by junk is that there's a big chance you could get timing chain/guide issues early. That's why they are very cheap, it costs a lot to fix them too (remove engine)

i'd look for a 4.6 v8 with documented oil changes (or from private party) not really comfortable buying from a small used car lot (buy here pay here lots) they usually get their stuff from dealership auctions because the dealership don't want to sell them on their lots for some reason.

Agreed

Back