• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy Gen 3

mikeinri

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer, 94 XLT (RIP)
Hi guys,

My 94 XLT is becoming unreliable. At 276,000 miles, it doesn't owe me anything! :)

So, I'm looking to upgrade. I found some 02 Explorers at a local dealership.

I test drove one, I heard a noise coming from the front left tire, something rubbing (bearings?). I also heard what sounded like tapping noises coming from the top of the engine (4.0). The salesman tried to tell me that was normal, what do you guys think? They were trying to get close to $13,000 for it, with 71,000 miles (XLT, has 3rd row seat, rear climate control, has CarFax). This seems high to me.

They are getting another one for me to look at next week (it's at a different location). This is also an 02 XLT, 68,000 miles, power moonroof, 3rd row seats, they want $14,000 (has CarFax).

I may be able to find some 04s in the same price range, but maybe not at a Ford dealer, so I'm not sure how good the warrantee service would be.

Any comments?

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They're definitely very proud of that '02. I paid $11,400 for my '04 Eddie Bauer with approximately the same mileage.

I'd avoid an '02 if at all possible anyways...They had more problems typically than the later models.

Explorers are the most plentiful SUV on the market...You can find a better deal if you look. Check www.autotrader.com or www.getauto.com and search for a nice one in your area.

I'd also try and avoid large franchised stores like CarMax, etc. and focus on smaller, independent dealerships. If you get an extended warranty, it's irrelevant where the vehicle is purchased, as you can get warranty work done anywhere.

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of...

About this 02 rear end problem. Is there a way to know if it's been corrected when looking at a particular truck? Does it happen early in the truck's life, or later?

Are there any significant changes between 03 and 04?

Mike

AS E.B. said stay away from the 02 models besides the rear end they are known to have issues with the solenoid packs in the tranny, mine did right before it was totaled in Janurary. I think people even recommend staying away from the 03s. If you have to go with one that old atleast get the best warranty you can afford. I got my 05 XLT 4x4 for $12,600 in August with 68,000 and went for the 3/36 bumper to bumper extended warranty so depending where you are they are definitely proud of the 2002 you looked at. Here in Houston it is hard to find a 2004 or 2005 under $15,000, I looked at a 2002 XLT with 58,000 on it this weekend for my nephew and they only wanted $9995 for it at a Ford dealer. As far as I know there is not a universal way to tell if the rear end has been fixed and I don't think there is a certain time in the truck's life that the noise happens.

Here's an update...

I got away from the 02s, and the same dealer has a 2004 that I can get for $14,000. Has 56,000 miles, and they are putting new tires on it. Come with a 60-day warantee from the dealer.

The only other problem I've found (will also be fixed) is that it has a rough idle, at least when cold. My computer access is currently limited, so if any of you have quick suggestions about this, I'd appreciate it!

Are there any common issues with 2004s?

Mike

Hey guys, here's the update, let me know what you think...

I signed papers for the 2004 XLT. Has 56,000 miles. Price (in New England) was $14,000. Brand new tires, supposedly also brand new brakes. They couldn't replicate the rough idle in the shop, and when it was running last night (cold), it seemed OK, but the motor seems to vibrate more than my 94 ever did.

Now the sticky part, the extended warranty. They wanted to sell me a bumper-to-bumper warranty for $2400 for 36,000 miles. I hammered them and agreed to $2400 for 48,000 miles (which is about 2-3 years of driving for me). This warranty is supposed to include a rental car if needed, I believe the deductible is $100 per claim (I don't have all the docs in front of me).

Does the warranty sound like it's priced right? I think I got a great deal on the truck, I have no idea what warrantees are supposed to cost. Personally, I would have skipped it completely (I got to 277,000 miles on my 94 and only had to be towed 3 times in 8 years, and no major repairs ever in that time), but reading on this forum makes it sound really necessary.

Mike

I put a extended warranty on my 04 4.6 4x4 for $1900 for 4 yr/48,000 miles.

Its by Phoenix American out of Miami
Ive had it since April/May timeframe and its had over $2k worth of fixes covered already.

Front wheel bearing $250
AC/Heat Blend door $750
Column shifter cable $400
Transmisstion front pump seal $750

Wynn's Extended Care is one of the best warranty companies out there. WarranTech is good too.

Your warranty is probably the very highest of the price tiers that I've found. A Wynn's warranty that will cover the vehicle to 100,000 (odometer) miles or 6 years which ever comes first costs about $2000. It will not cover a rental car, but there's $0 deductible.

Thanks guys,

Sounds like it's priced a bit high, but not terribly high. I did get a good price on the truck, so maybe this was their way of getting some of that back...

I don't have the fine print in front of me, but it is a Ford warranty (they're supposed to use Ford parts), covers rental cars, and will take me to 104,000 miles.

As much as I'd love to see it pay for itself, I'd obviously much rather have the truck work perfectly fine so I can avoid needing to bring it in at all...

Mike

I always joke with customers about extended warranties. I tell them (and it's proven itself so many times) that if you get an extended warranty, chances are, you'll never need to use it. It's only when you don't get one that you'll wish you had.

That's no joke, that's Murphy's Law!!!

Anyway, I drove the truck home tonight (still haven't seen it in daylight). I checked the paperwork, and it's a GM 3rd party warranty, not a Ford one. I bought the truck at a Ford dealer.

The only thing that concerns me is, the guy showed me a Ford pamphlet (I have a copy) that shows lots of stuff being covered, including "seals and gaskets" but on the paperwork for the GM warranty, that is an option that wasn't selected.

I hope I don't have to battle to get this fixed. No offense to anyone here, but I already don't trust car salesmen, this isn't helping any...

Mike

Back