Looking to buy *in the future* but have questions on Explorers vs Rangers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy *in the future* but have questions on Explorers vs Rangers

RhainyC

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Ranger XLT 4WD
Well, not only are you folks all really awesome, but, I am becoming more enamoured with the actual Explorer(1991-1994 most likely) as a vehicle...of course Shady's being such an awesome lil' truck has a lot to do with that too...so now, my questions.

I do know that I will want 4WD, at least the 4.0L more than likely and a manual trans...so what are the other important things to look into with Explorers? I am partial to doing a 2 door, but a 4 door would be ok...I think...

Did Ford make more/less of the 2drs? What are the most common size motors, and are there any *Special* editions that might be nice? I really like the XLT trim on my Ranger, but am kinda clueless with the other available trims and models...

Are there any inherant problems in '91-'94 Explorers? I know about the coolant issues with the 4.0L already and which trans are best, at least for the Ranger...is it the same for the Ex?

I have been watching different threads on things, but since you all are owners...I would like some folks *two bits* about why they like a particular aspect of their own Ex...

*shuts up and wanders off to wait and see who, if anyone answers, and what wisdom they will share with a newly bitten Ex lover...* :p:

Hmmm, that sounded a bit...well...never mind... :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, there were many less 2 door explorer's. The 5spd only comes on the 2 doors, and only with the 4.0. 2 door Explorer's only had the 4.0

Charlie, so that means I want a 2Dr Ex with a 4.0L and a 5Spd...cool, that narrows it down a bit, at least...I really like my 4.0L and the 5spd I have is the Mazda, which I am guessing, is the same in the Ex's?

Yep, pretty much. The Mazda Navajo only came in 2dr, while the Mercury Mountaineer only came in 4dr.
What you have in the ranger (engine and transmission) is the same as the explorer.

I know you mentioned 1st gen but in the 2nd gen, manual transmissions were available for the 4dr bodies.

The user briwayjones has such a vehicle -- although very rare :(

attachment.php

but in the 2nd gen, manual transmissions were available for the 4dr bodies.

Wha-wha-what????

I have never heard or seen of this, but that's pretty cool!

The 5spd only comes on the 2 doors, and only with the 4.0.

Actually the 5 speed was available on 4 doors for 1st gen's also (I had to look a while to find mine 4 door, 4x4, manual tranny). but the second part is correct. 1st gen's either have a 4.0 V6 or 5.0 V8, but you couldn't get the 5.0 with a manual tranny {curses}

Well, one of my main reasons for looking at '91-94 is basically that Shady is a '91, AND I like the lines on those years better than the older, and some of the newer ones. Also, cost is also going to be a factor...I am no rich old lady to go out and spend a bundle on a new(er) vehicle.

I am hoping to find a decent Ex within a reasonable distance, for about $2k when the time comes, I think I should be able to get financing, unless my tax return or company bonus is big enough to cover that expense...but then again, as I said, I am basically in the Research stage at the moment...

I appreciate all the input though...and regardless, I _Have_ to have s manual trans...just a pet buggaboo of mine...maybe when I get old(er) an auto will be ok...but I ain't there yet! :p:

and regardless, I _Have_ to have s manual trans...just a pet buggaboo of mine...maybe when I get old(er) an auto will be ok...but I ain't there yet! :p:
The manual is definitely the way to go for a daily driver -- transmission reliability and cheaper replacement/rebuilds are its biggest pro.

Actually the 5 speed was available on 4 doors for 1st gen's also (I had to look a while to find mine 4 door, 4x4, manual tranny). but the second part is correct. 1st gen's either have a 4.0 V6 or 5.0 V8, but you couldn't get the 5.0 with a manual tranny {curses}

1st gens didnt come with 5.0L's...the only avaliable engine in the first gen explorer (91-94) was the 4.0L. =/

and it was only the ohv, no sohc

I have a 93 Explorer XLT 4 door and it's a 5 speed.

As far as trim levels for the 1st there was the XL XLT Limited and Eddie Bauer trim

Limited and Eddie Bauer were the top level trims which included things like leather interior and running boards

XLT was a mid level value package trim and is most commom among Explorers

XL was the base model trim

Cyber, thanks for that, it is a bit baffling with all the trims...and being new to Fords as main vehicle...well it was getting a bit challenging.

So it seems an XLT is what I want, as I honestly don't care for leather seats...too bloody sticky and hot in the warm months! :p:

That's what I thought about leather seats, but it turns out they are as comfy as cloth - they do seem colder in Winter, but only for a second or two (but it's not really cold here, so...)

You will find that in the 1st Gen trucks, the 2 Door Sport with a 5 speed will definitely give the best performance. Better acceleration, better gas mileage. Of all the Explorers made, that is my choice for an Explorer. Right now, my current X is a '94 2 door auto, but that's because I go wheeling, and it's easier to wheel it with an auto than with a stick without going into major changes. My original Explorer was a '92 Sport with the 5 speed, and I'd love to have it back.

I'd suggest looking into a '93 or '94 instead of a '91 or '92. Slightly more power and they have full ABS not just Rear ABS. They also worked out most of the bugs by the time they got to '93.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, there were many less 2 door explorer's. The 5spd only comes on the 2 doors, and only with the 4.0. 2 door Explorer's only had the 4.0

I have a 1st gen 4 door with a 5 speed sitting in the garage. The only engine that ever came in the explorer sport or otherwise is the 4.0.

Back