Looking to convert 2000 Ranger Trailhead from T-bar to Coilover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to convert 2000 Ranger Trailhead from T-bar to Coilover

Rangstang

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Ranger
Looking to lower my Ranger by 6-8" as I'm tired of the lifted look. Only reason I'm even considering this conversion is that I put an Explorer 5.0L in my truck in 2010 with a Mustang T5 behind it. Otherwise, I'd just buy a coil spring truck and lower it.

On other sites, I've seen a couple of pics where guys lowered their T-bar Rangers making custom mounts, but is there a reason I can't use the shock mounts that are available and gusset the upper mounts? In the pics I've seen, the lower mount was moved out closer to the ball joint. Does the angle need to be changed due to the lowering changing the lower control arm to frame angle?

Any input and help is greatly appreciated.

Link to V8 swap:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3875202/2000-ford-ranger-regular-cab-short-bed/
IMG_1102_zps728e17e8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Welcome here...:D

..I'm moving your thread to our "lowered" section so you can get some help with this..;)

Thanks, new is obvious when I didn't post it in the right place.;)

I saw a few guys discussing this on another post back in 2007, but no answer or decisions were made. No one has any input?

It's a 2wd with 4wd suspension. Trailhead was the predecessor to the Edge.

Converting to coil overs won't be hard but I'm not any help with the angles. How much lift does it have?
Also a side note, to drop the rear and keep leafs. Swap in an explorer axle. They're set up for SUA and have stronger 31 spline shafts. Oh and disk brakes :)

Converting to coil overs won't be hard but I'm not any help with the angles. How much lift does it have?

Thanks for the response. As for lift, it's mere a factory setup. You've got me what it is over stock Explorer height, for example. I'm just wondering if I can run the RCD brackets to lower or if they are only good for lifting...

I'm not looking to be dragging the ground by any means. My plan is just to lower it to a point where I've got 1-1.5" above the tread on a 17x8" Mustang wheel running 245/45R17 (stock 94-04 GT size).

Ah ok, I thought you meant it had aftermarket lift. I don't think RCD brackets are made any more but any machine shop should be able to duplicate them. Since the brackets sit on top of the a arm it's really better for lifting, but a small drop shouldn't be a problem.
A 245/45r17 is pretty small don't ya think?
Honestly though, I don't see you getting 6" of drop with coil overs. Least not without having any thing close to a decent ride or handling. 2 or 3" is pushing it IMHO

Back