Looking to gather hindsight for 4th gens @ 100,000 miles: | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to gather hindsight for 4th gens @ 100,000 miles:

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Ford Mustang GT
Very soon, I will be test driving and looking to negotiate the purchase of a 4th-gen., loaded 2007 Explorer LTD with just a hair over 92,000 miles. The common exhaust manifold issues (leaking manifold to broken stud issue) has already been taken care of on this example, and it seems to be in good cosmetic order.

Since there are undoubtedly folks on this forum who have owned these vehicles at nearly 100,000 miles (or even purchased them used at that point in their service life), what do you wish you had known before buying?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you are talking about the exhaust manifolds, I assume it has the v8 ?
Ask about spark plugs, or ask them to change it, and show you the old ones. Otherwise, mine has 246 k miles and runs just fine, get ready for wheel bearings front and rear, my radiator started leaking at 150k, stabilizer bar links tend to break at 100k. All these things can be done by you if you know how to turn few wrenches.
But the sparkplus - you wnat the dealer to do it for you, and don't believe when they say it was just done. If it were, then you should be able to turn the plugs loose without any issues.

My '07 limited has 150k on the clock now, and has been pretty reliable since I bought it with ±115k. I changed spark plugs and upper control arm/ball joints since then, and a fuel filter that was very clogged.

A few cosmetic things it has needed:

new dashboard bulbs- cost $10 for LED's and an hour to install.

new rear wiper motor- cost $75 and 30 minute install.

new blower motor resistor module- cost $75 and 30 minute install, could've been 5 but I didn't know the trick to remove the old one.

the light behind my stereo doesn't work, but it doesn't bother me enough to want to mess with it.

Other than minor cosmetic repairs it's been sweet, my confidence in it is about as good as any.

Also worth noting- Uhaul will not rent you a trailer if you own this year of Explorer. Something about being concerned about rollovers.

Was not aware of U-Haul's restrictions! Lol. Wow!

Yes, it is the 4.6L 3V V-8, with a shade over 92,000 miles. The manifold has been replaced, and I believe the front bearings, too (~ 6 mos. ago), but I don't think the rear bearings have been touched. Will listen for noise in the test drive tonight. Spark plug replacement is a must from me. I can do it, but negotiating it into the price may save headache and $$$ down the road.

U-Haul thing is so stupid. They implemented it in 2000 when the 2nd gen had the issues with the Firestone tires. 3 generations later and they never lifted it or updated it to exclude 2002 and up models.

I bought my 2008 at 257k km (about 160k miles) and she just rolled to 320k km (just under 199k miles) today. The exhaust manifold has the tick from the leak, I've replaced both front hubs (front passenger twice, the second time was replaced as a warranty issue on the hub) and the rear driver side hub. Front end got new sway links and bushings last year at the same time. I'm lucky and got a late-model 2008 (which is when they changed the engine slightly to try and fix the issue of spark plugs seizing in the block) but will be replacing the plugs on my own very shortly, and changing the serpentine belt. She's got no issues besides the tick, and no leaks or sweats underneath. Mine is a Limited, and she drives like a dream, especially considering I haven't done too much to it, and this high mileage.

I bought our '06 in 2009 with about 65,000 miles. It now has about 120,000. Previous owner had done the plugs early at 60,000 miles (he was in the know) as well as all of the fluids. I just change the trans fluid again, as it's done moderate towing duty all it's life. I may do the plugs again soon, too. It has the 1-piece design now, but still don't want to take chanced (thoughts anyone?). We've had the cold tick from the exhaust manifold(s) pretty much since we bought it. It's a tad embarrassing, but every time I think about having my mechanic fix it, I just don't want to spend the money. It's been a great vehicle for us. Fits 7 people when needed, 7000 lbs tow rating handles our 5200 lbs camper very well, and it still fits in our garage. There are very few vehicles that can do those 3 things, and any other will likely cost a fortune (Mercedes, Lexus, etc).

With regard to stability:
2 months ago, I somehow got distracted on the way home from Chicago with the family (no camper), looked up and saw nothing but brake lights. Emergency lane change to the left, under hard braking, and just missed the guy in front of me. Fortunately, there was nobody in the left-most lane. Hard right correction got me moving straight again, but was still skidding left and bounced the drivers side off the center concrete divider. Just got it back from repairs. Point being, it was a very violent, tire-screeching few seconds, and if anything was going to flip a vehicle with high center of gravity, this would have done it. My wife actually thought the truck was going to flip. My idiot fault for the 1-car accident, although I give myself some credit for missing the guy in front of me. But I credit the well-tuned stability control system for likely saving 5 or more lives.

I'm on board with the spark plugs and radiator. I've yet to reach 100k, (just over 97k), and did my plugs twice. The first was a nightmare and 6 broke. The second time was a breeze. That said, they were like 2-3 years old so I just wanted to stay in front of things and don't mind the 45 minutes or money to avoid that initial stuff again.

As for the radiator, I have the V8 too and it leaked like crazy. In addition, the cooling fan would sometimes run with the engine and sound like a UPS truck going down the street. So while I was addressing the radiator, I also did the hoses, serpentine belt, fan clutch, and thermostat. For me having done it the first time by myself, it was a full weekend project.

And as we speak, I'm in need of a new hub but not sure how much of a DIY that is without a press. One other thought not unique to Explorers: any chance you can get your hands on a Bluetooth OBDII scanner and download the Torque Pro app? You'll find all kinds of fun "gray" codes that might help you ward off future headaches or even just haggle down a bit. In your case, I suspect it'll pay for itself and you'll have a great little toy on your hands moving forward!

I bought mine 2nd gen st, which is pretty much the exact same platform, with around 140k kms If I remember correctly. I wish I would have done more looking into the V6 before the purchase as it is too small anemic and failure prone for this platform, but I did have the same engine in the Ranger I traded on it and it was a decent truck. Wheel bearings, rad, 2 thermostat housings, pulling the engine at 190kkms to replace the timing set, as well as the broken exhaust manifold studs (yes on a V6 too) among other various failures along the way. Just rolled over to 250k kms and I think I finally got most of the kinks out.

U-Haul thing is so stupid. They implemented it in 2000 when the 2nd gen had the issues with the Firestone tires. 3 generations later and they never lifted it or updated it to exclude 2002 and up models.

This is how stupid it really is, I went to rent a trailer and was denied because I have an Explorer 2010, but if you had a 2010 Mountaineer ( same vehicle different name) they would rent one to me.. Totally stupid.

Well with the factory hitch the load rating is in the owners manual and max ratings on the hitch receiver as well. Its factory configuration. If they see that how can the say its not capable when its in black and white from Ford.

PS Have your manual ready with the page marked.

U-Haul can do whatever they want.
They do not have to rent you a trailer.

They do not have to sell you a beer if they don't want to in the bar - they are independent owners and can refuse the service at their discretion, no explanation needed.

Same with U-haul.

Sounds like you'd want verified confirmation over the phone before going down when you need it.

Turkey's !!

As far as I know, "Explorer" is the only vehicle on their black list. It all stems from the Firestone fiasco in 2000.

Back