• Register Today It's free!

Looking to get a replacement

stonerhino

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer v6 XLT
Guys, while I like my 04 exploder, I'm getting pretty bent out of shape fixing it. When I bought this used, I drove 10mi/day tops. Now I commute to work and its killing it putting 50mi/day on it.

So I have the 4L v6 4x4. It now has 195k Mi on it and I still owe $4k on it.
Although the engine has a lot of power to it, the rear timing chain tensioners are now run out (again). The original timing chain set lasted 80k. I've been getting only 15-20k on each consecutive timing chain set. I'm over it at $2k a repair and now the shops will only swap engines with this many miles.

I have sunk $1600 into the suspension to get rid of the shake on the interstate. Replaced tires because of bad ball joints chewing them to bits. Now with nothing left to replace but the rims and the tires themselves, rotors and calipers because they're pulsing on stops.

I had an 89 5.0 mustang. I miss it so, but the current situation is starting to be the same tune. Pour money into it. Pray the part wasnt junk. Do it again in a year or two.

I dont have long from the sounds of things. Family's already pissed off at me for spending this kind of money on a problem "they think is in my head" and "its a four wheel drive vehicle, its supposed to do that". However, it is they who currently own my debt.

Do I let it die or trade it in while it has some semblance of value?

I think you may be further ahead selling it privately and getting another vehicle from scratch. I doubt you would really get anything for it from a dealer. Any value they give you for it would likely be $$ deducted from any negotiating room on another vehicle, new or used. In my opinion, in this case I think you'd actually be further ahead with no trade.

Peter

12yr old vehicle brother...time to move on.

Back