• Register Today It's free!

Looking to lift my 94.

Hyde_Jeckyll

Reaction score
City, State
Crown King, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Ford Explorer
I cannot find a lift kit that will allow for the twin I beam front end. Who has a kit for the twin I beam style exploder? Any links will be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah buddy now you are talking my language!! Nothing like a lifted Gen I
try searching 94 ranger

Skyjacker has about 20 options for you

James Duff makes very good stuff

Play with the big boys out in the desert:

Autofab makes a long travel dana 44 conversion kit

Just know that the explorer rear leafs go under the axle, ranger rear leafs go over the axle, so while the front lift parts for a 91-97 4.0 Ranger will work on your explorer you will need to do something different in the rear to match the front

Rear lift options for gen I explorer:
shackle (1-2")
add a leaf (yuck)
spring over (5")

How high do you want the truck? What will you use it for? What is your budget?
As you can see with that front end the sky is the limit

try searching 94 ranger

Just know that the explorer rear leafs go under the axle, ranger rear leafs go over the axle, so while the front lift parts for a 91-97 4.0 Ranger will work on your explorer you will need to do something different in the rear to match the front

shackle (1-2")
add a leaf (yuck)
spring over (5")

Thanks man I appreciate that. I will look into it. I’m not sure about the budget, but I want a 2-3” lift I will be using it for a lot a bit of everything. I live in the mountains nothing but dirt. 4x4 conditions everyday, it’s 30 miles of dirt road. I’ll be using it to haul firewood and work mainly.

try searching 94 ranger

shackle (1-2")
add a leaf (yuck)
spring over (5")

try searching 94 ranger

shackle (1-2")
add a leaf (yuck)
spring over (5")

me too! I live completely off grid at the end of a logging road built in the 80's that is falling apart daily, I love it! 2 miles of chaos, base of a mountain on a river in the forest and wetlands.
We actually use snow tracks to commute in the winter. 4x4 everyday, live where you camp.
30 miles? FRIGGIN SWEET! Mine is 2 miles and its enough to keep most people out!
We build our trucks up instead of fixing the road :)

You can start with a Skyjacker 1.5" lift kit, new front coils and shocks, put a shackle in the back and see how you like it.
Then later step up to the 4-5" lifts with extended radius arms
Extended arms are the only way to really improve your ride and handling, also get a bit more travel from the front beams

All what he said. With that much offroading everyday, don't skimp on shocks. Everyone's budget is different, but look at the quality of the components and see the feedback on forums like this.

For example, when you look at the higher end kits or systems with Skyjacker as mentioned already, you're already talking getting into the base Camburg kits, $ wise. And you can always do a base camburg or threatmotorsports type front end, basic, normally 4" lift with cut and turned beams and then run a simple warrior shackle (or camburg or threat's) 3" shackle in rear with quality shocks all around, to get things started. Just an idea.

Lots and lots of options left for these old trucks....thankfully!

Had good results on my '93 Ex with this Skyjacker kit:
132EXK-H – 1.5-2 in. Suspension Lift Kit with Hydro Shocks

I don't do any hard core off roading, but spend time on Forest Service roads and similar.

Ended up adding the steering stabilizer kit. Some folks don't think they do any good, but after rebalancing the wheels like 5 times and still getting vibration at higher speeds I decided to give a steering stabilizer a try. It helped quite a bit.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice guys I have to do a two inch on my ol lady’s 91, and I think I will go with the 4 inch on mine.

Thanks for the advice guys I have to do a two inch on my ol lady’s 91, and I think I will go with the 4 inch on mine.

If budget is tight and or you want to keep it simple for now, a kit that worked really well for me back on my first, first gen explorer was:

Rough Country 4" lift system, which includes rear springs (RockyMountainSuspension if a good source, or other vendors you like)
&
Separately buy Tuff Country's 4" drop brackets and throw away the ones that come in the RoughCountry lift, haha. (SuspensionConnection sells it cheapest, as they own TuffCountry)

Then, as those shocks that come with the kit weaken, upgrade to like a silver and black Bilstein or the equivalent and really enjoy.

I cannot find a lift kit that will allow for the twin I beam front end. Who has a kit for the twin I beam style exploder? Any links will be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum! Doing a suspension lift on ttb is quite complicated and doing a body lift is not addressing your suspension travel. If you are going to lift your explorer, DO NOT DO A CHEAP 1.5 INCH SPACER LEVALING KIT. The ttb suspension changes the camber of the tire through its travel im sure you have noticed the tires drooping when you lift it. You need ttb brackets radius brackets etc. Im looking into a james duff 3 inch lift kit for rangers ex, and bronco 2s. They all share the same front suspension. The rear is easy as stock it rides 1.5 inches over the front. But if yours are 30 years old like my 1st gen there sacked out. Old man emu makes a 1.5 inch leaf but its pricey at 160 per leaf. Im getting hd springs at 1445 lbs per spring and using a drop shackle which forces the spring under the axle lifting it. Doing a 4 inch kit with your brackets is what I recommend. Also if anybody has any input on if you need pitman arm extender or brake hose extension or sway bay extensions please lmk.

Back