Looking to Purchase a '94 Explorer. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Looking to Purchase a '94 Explorer.

95BlackGA

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
Possibly '94
I found a low mileage '94 Explorer. I'm needing a 4x4, and this one struck my eyes. It has less than 87,000 miles, and is in GREAT condition. I have yet to test drive it, but will be going by there tomorrow. Is there anything I need to look for? What type of maintenance should I expect to perform when it does hit the 100k mark? It's priced at $3980, with a 6 month warranty. Does this seem like a fair price? Thanks for all the help, and I hope I can become an Explorer enthusiast.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
those things last forever, but 4 grand seems a bit over priced. i got my 97 sport with 50k miles for less, granted it has a lil rust, but still. If you can get him down to 3 then i would consider it if its excellent like you said

<

95BlackGA

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
Possibly '94
those things last forever, but 4 grand seems a bit over priced. i got my 97 sport with 50k miles for less, granted it has a lil rust, but still. If you can get him down to 3 then i would consider it if its excellent like you said

The only reason it's that price is because it's a dealer. The suggested retail is 3250, and I have a 6 month warranty. I could probably talk them down a few hundred or so.

<

68amc

Reaction score
City, State
Ocean City Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 E.B
Make sure it has only 87k on it as the odometer is only 5 digit, and yeah 4k is steep. I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

<

XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Wausau, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport SOHC 4X4
The price does sound a little steep. But check to make sure the transmission shifts smooth since that is a weak part of these trucks. Also try out the 4wd to make sure that works fine as well.

<

95BlackGA

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
Possibly '94
This one has a 7 digit (6 for actual miles, and then 1 for tenth miles.)

Odometer.jpg

<

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
I found a low mileage '94 Explorer. I'm needing a 4x4, and this one struck my eyes. It has less than 87,000 miles, and is in GREAT condition. I have yet to test drive it, but will be going by there tomorrow. Is there anything I need to look for? What type of maintenance should I expect to perform when it does hit the 100k mark? It's priced at $3980, with a 6 month warranty. Does this seem like a fair price? Thanks for all the help, and I hope I can become an Explorer enthusiast.

That is some low miles, but it is way overpriced!! I doubt you could sell it for over $2500 tomorrow! Check out craigslist, and you will see the prices. Look for individual sellers, those are the prices that matters. I have a '94 for sale for under a grand. It has more miles on it but it is in great running condition. I have seen many, many newer EX's for sale for half that price. Seriously, keep shopping. Explorers are up for sale everywhere, since gasoline $$ is on everyones minds.

Here is an example:http://springfield.craigslist.org/ctd/1012519067.html

and another:http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/1008424702.html

I just found the Ex your looking at!! haha! I know where its at! Too funny!

<

95BlackGA

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
Possibly '94
That is some low miles, but it is way overpriced!! I doubt you could sell it for over $2500 tomorrow! Check out craigslist, and you will see the prices. Look for individual sellers, those are the prices that matters. I have a '94 for sale for under a grand. It has more miles on it but it is in great running condition. I have seen many, many newer EX's for sale for half that price. Seriously, keep shopping. Explorers are up for sale everywhere, since gasoline $$ is on everyones minds.

Here is an example:http://springfield.craigslist.org/ctd/1012519067.html

and another:http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/1008424702.html

Thanks for the links! I'd be very interested in the 1999 if it where 4-door, I just don't like the Sport. As for the '98 I'm not driving all the way down to West Plains to pick on up. Especially not a V8 model. :p It will be a daily driver, throughout Springfield, so I don't think a V8 would be price friendly in the long run.

<

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
I was not expecting you to buy these, it was meerly an example of what prices they are going for. Just an EXAMPLE!
And FYI...a v-8 is better on gas than the v-6! Curious why your against the v-8?

<