Looks like a 2wd pickup... OME installed, torsion bar help... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looks like a 2wd pickup... OME installed, torsion bar help...

NoBoundaries

ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Ellicott City, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
It looks like a 2wd pickup!

Alrighty,

I slapped on (I wish it was that easy) my Old Man Emu springs and shocks over the weekend. I got some great lift out of the rear end, but the front is low.

I twisted the torsion bars as far as they were willing to go and the only conclusion I could come to was the fact that my bars must be weak.

I looked under the SPR on the driver's side door and it said, "B F." Knowing that the B bars were one of the strongest, I was a bit confused on why I didn't get enough lift. The only conclusion I could come to was that the second letter was my torsion bar rating, "F."

This right. I've searched all the info, but couldn't find anything on a "B F" SPR. It was mentioned, but no answers. I'd hate to buy new B rated bars only to come up with the same conclusion after putting them on.

So, if I have to put in new bars, how much of a PITA job will I expect. Would I be better off throwing it into a mechanics hands and having them do it?

Thanks for the help. I'll be riding Redneck-style until I get this corrected.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am in the same possition as you are, redneck style! I am going to swap out to the B torsion bars. It isn't hard, you just need a puller. (like a wheel puller, two jaw)

I had it done at a shop because I'm still a little confused on how those t-bars are attached at the rear, but when I got them installed with the bolts at the "stock" position, I already had more lift than when the bolts were cranked at max before. I have about 2.25-2.5" of lift right now, and my 32" tires clear with no rubbing at all, even at full compression.

I think you can go even stiffer than "B" because that sounds like what you have now. Search for the ratings because there is a code 1 and 2 as well. I think what's happened in your case is the bars have "sagged" and twist more easily than new ones.

Jason,
How much did the bars themselves cost?

Re: It looks like a 2wd pickup!

Originally posted by NoBoundaries
Alrighty,

I slapped on (I wish it was that easy) my Old Man Emu springs and shocks over the weekend. I got some great lift out of the rear end, but the front is low.

I twisted the torsion bars as far as they were willing to go and the only conclusion I could come to was the fact that my bars must be weak.

I looked under the PSR on the driver's side door and it said, "B F." Knowing that the B bars were one of the strongest, I was a bit confused on why I didn't get enough lift. The only conclusion I could come to was that the second letter was my torsion bar rating, "F."

This right. I've searched all the info, but couldn't find anything on a "B F" SPR. It was mentioned, but no answers. I'd hate to buy new B rated bars only to come up with the same conclusion after putting them on.

Tim,
The "F" rating is for the rear springs. When I had my OME's, I was alittle low in the front, but you would have to look really close to notice it. The torsion bars will settle some but you should be able to get pretty close to level. You don't have the Warrior shackles on do you?
I had to put the stock shackles back on.

I'm using stock shackles and it is very noticeable that the front is too low. Did you have to twist your torsion bars all the way for it to go level. I’ve got my driver’s side twisted all the way and the passenger side is backed off a little to keep the front level. I have the normal, slight sag on the driver’s side from the gas tank.

I figured the F rating was for the rear. It just surprised me that the front could be B and that I am not getting enough lift. The front looks just about stock height right now, I was only able to get about a ¼ inch increase (if even that much) after everything settled.

Well, I'm just going to guess that I in fact have the B rated and 6 years of drving around on them have caused enough wear that they no longer have any stiffness. So I'll look into getting some new B rated bars. Thanks for the help everyone!

~Tim

Back