Looks like I'll need a new Starter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looks like I'll need a new Starter

SlntSam

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Recently, there have been times where I've turned the key and I get one click and then nothing. On these occasions I get underneath and tap the starter with my maglite and it works like new for about a week or two. I think the problem has worsened to where the starter is almost gone.

How easy is it to replace myself? Just a couple of bolts and the wires to the batt right? Anything I should watch out for?

Anyone know a place in Toronto to get cheap rebuilt starters?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

disconnect the battery first!

two 17 mm (if this is an automatic OHV 4.0L) bolts and the starter is free. then a 13mm nut on the large wire and a crimp connector on the small one and your done.

If it just clicks it is VERY likely that the wires are at fault, or the battery.
Have your alternator and battery tested before you rebuild your starter....

Oh and be prepared to use a wrench, some of these starters make it impossible to get a socket over the bolt head....

it's not a click click click. It's just one click and I'm not even sure if the click is coming from the starter. I thought about corrosion on the wires to the starter but then thought if I can start the sucker by tapping on the starter then it's probably the solenoid no?

POSSIBLY, But you can check the voltage at teh starter first, I was getting 11.5 volts and it was not enough to get more than a click. Replaced the starter with a new Ford unit because I love to throw $$$ at my truck, and blamo, same problem. Then I checked to find out I was getting 11.5 V, turned out I needed a new wires from the solenoid on the fender to the starter (for the 3rd time, read 275K miles and aftermarket headers ketp melting my wires) But hey at least I got a new starter right? OInly to rip it all out 6 months later in favor of the 5.0L thats going in now....

Hmm...I will check that out first. I'm the opposite and don't want to spend that much cash on it and if it's an electrical problem that I can remedy maybe that will save me cash.

Thanks.

That is exactly what my starter was doing before I replaced it. I would turn the key and hear one click from the starter relay on the passenger fender. I would then tap the starter with a hammer and it would fire right up. Initially I thought it was the wires so I removed and cleaned all the connections. This didn't work. I installed a new starter and have had Zero problems....

Back