Looks like I'm buying a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looks like I'm buying a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0

Todd82TA

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 4x2
So, I've been looking for something under $12,000 and I was kind of interested in the Ford Exploder. I wanted to get a 2-door, but then learned that the last year they sold them was 2003?!

I actually really wanted a 4x4, but I couldn't find one anywhere that wasn't at the very least totally ragged out.

So, I found a 2002, with the burnt red color (Toreador or whatever), w/ 36k miles on it. I'll be trading in my 2006 Pontiac Solstice this weekend and getting a check back. They're giving me $12,750 for the Solstice, and I bought the car for $7,259.

I think I've got a pretty decent car here, although to be honest I haven't actually looked at it yet. The car's interior is immaculate, no wear or tear ANYWHERE. It really does (at least from the pictures) show that it's been taken care of.

Anyway, I make the trade this weekend, and I think I'm pretty happy.

This will be my daily driver. My wife still has her Jeep Patriot, and I have my Crown Victoria for highway trips and whatever.

I DO still want 4x4, but I figure that one of these days I could easily add it. I'll just buy a high mileage 4x4, and swap everything over (I've rebuilt engines, and restored cars so it shouldn't be THAT difficult, it not only time consuming).

Anyway, just have a few questions:

1 - I know that I should expect anywhere from 17 to 21 fuel economy. Has anyone here actually done better than 21 miles to the gallon on the highway with the 4.0 SOHC motor?

2 - Are there any inherent problems with the 4.0 SOHC, or is it pretty rigid? I know I asked this before and it seemed like everyone liked the motor. Can I at least expect it to be AS reliable as the 4.6 SOHC is in my 2002 Crown Victoria?

3 - What kind of acceleration can I expect, does it at least get out of it's own way? I'm hoping that it at least runs a 16 second flat quarter mile... hope that's not too much to expect. The few that I test drove were all 4x4s and they seemed decent, but I figured the extra weight slows it down.

4 - Are there ANY performance parts for the car? Any ECM reflashes? I realize it's an Explorer. I'm not looking to turn it into a pony car, but I usually like to install shorty headers (ceramic coated) since it improves fuel economy, around-town driving, and reduces underhood temperatures which in turn also improve the reliability of all the other parts.

Anything else I should know about these cars in terms of mechanical failures or something that always brakes? IE: like VW windows fall into the door, or Fieros catch fire, or whatever???

Thanks!!!

Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our Sport do "move out of thier own way" The 01-03 Sports came with either 3.73 or 4.10 gears. As for mileage and power I would read a thread by Aldive called "my quest for 30 mpg" He posts about all the different mods he has used to get to over 30 mpg on the highway and boost his hp along ther way.

Our Sport do "move out of thier own way" The 01-03 Sports came with either 3.73 or 4.10 gears. As for mileage and power I would read a thread by Aldive called "my quest for 30 mpg" He posts about all the different mods he has used to get to over 30 mpg on the highway and boost his hp along ther way.

Damn, that's some quick gearing...

What would signify a 4.10? Is there an RPO or a tag on the differential that would let me know?

Thanks!

Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

there is a tag on the diff. There is also a sticker on the inside of the drivers door, that gives the axle code. The axle code will tell you limited slip or open and the gearing. (assuming that no one has changed it over the years)

i love my 01 sport plenty of power for me im jealous i wanted that orange color for the longest time best of luck with your new ex

I wanted to get a 2-door, but then learned that the last year they sold them was 2003?!

So, I found a 2002, with the burnt red color (Toreador or whatever), w/ 36k miles on it.

Anyway, just have a few questions:

1 - I know that I should expect anywhere from 17 to 21 fuel economy. Has anyone here actually done better than 21 miles to the gallon on the highway with the 4.0 SOHC motor?

2 - Are there any inherent problems with the 4.0 SOHC, or is it pretty rigid? I know I asked this before and it seemed like everyone liked the motor. Can I at least expect it to be AS reliable as the 4.6 SOHC is in my 2002 Crown Victoria?

Thanks!!!
Todd,

Welcome to the forum Todd!

I also wanted a midsize 2 door SUV to replace my Grand Cherokee. There weren't many models to pick from. It took me a couple of months to find the Sport I was looking for (SOHC V6, 5R55E trans, 2 wheel drive, a color I liked and body in fairly good condition). I looked at two of the reddish orange ones (bright amber metallic paint code BN or BG) but both were overpriced. I ended up driving over 100 miles to buy a 2000 Toreador red (paint code FL) one from a tow truck driver who had it because the tow charge was never paid. It had a broken windshield, bald tires and was so dirty it was hard to tell the color. I'm in the process of fixing it up and am thoroughly enjoying it.

I got 23 miles per gallon on my baseline test run (100 highway miles round trip) driving the posted speed limits on cruise control.

I've read on this forum that one inherent problem with the SOHC V6 is the useful life of the timing chain guides and tensioners. Unfortunately, the engine has to be pulled to change the right bank camshaft guide and tensioner. I have 150,000 miles on my vehicle and expect to have to rebuild the engine and transmission in the next year or two.

Welcome to the forum Todd!

I also wanted a midsize 2 door SUV to replace my Grand Cherokee. There weren't many models to pick from. It took me a couple of months to find the Sport I was looking for (SOHC V6, 5R55E trans, 2 wheel drive, a color I liked and body in fairly good condition). I looked at two of the reddish orange ones (bright amber metallic paint code BN or BG) but both were overpriced. I ended up driving over 100 miles to buy a 2000 Toreador red (paint code FL) one from a tow truck driver who had it because the tow charge was never paid. It had a broken windshield, bald tires and was so dirty it was hard to tell the color. I'm in the process of fixing it up and am thoroughly enjoying it.

I got 23 miles per gallon on my baseline test run (100 highway miles round trip) driving the posted speed limits on cruise control.

Yeah, that is the SAME thing I had to deal with. I had about $7,000 in equity in my Solstice, and I HAD another car, so it wasn't do or die that it had to be everything, but I needed it to fit my needs, and be fun to drive.

I JUST bought it yesterday and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I had to drive 200+ miles to pick it up. I drove from Fort Lauderdale to Tampa. They bought my Solstice, and I bought my 2002 2dr Sport w/ 35k miles on it. It's pretty well loaded too, so I'm really happy. I ended up paying $7,500 for it. I realize that's pretty high, but the car is immaculate, and the mileage is so low that I'm basically getting a new car.

I think I'm going to buy the Ford extended warranty on it, it's abotu $1,200 bucks which is really expensive, but I know that the Ford warranty should cover most of the timing chain stuff.

Do you guys think that's worth it? $1,200 miles for another 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I do most of my own work, I rebuild engines in my project cars, I've got all the tools, OBD-2 scanner, blah blah... but I figured this will save me some effort if I need anything. Plus it'll give me a piece of mind in case there's some catestrophic problem with the transmission... (I hate automatics).

4192974_4.jpg

Back