looks like im the proud owner of a '97 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looks like im the proud owner of a '97 xlt

magneti

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer v8
had a 2005 dodge 1500 just up and die on me. never again will i own a dodge. first and last.

anyhow, needed something quick for work and came across the explorer. has 130k miles yet surprisingly drives better than the dodge or any toyota (4runners/tacoma) i owned before.

turns out it was a rich womans vehicle who then handed it down to her daughter whom i bought it from. one owner and had all the receipts from work done in the glove box. its a v8 5.0.

i see they changed the oil every 3,000 miles from the day they drove it off the lot til now. i changed the oil last weekend and it was impossible to see the oil on the stick as it was as clean as could be. i suppose i should learn a lesson from more frequent oil changes and constant maintenance that they did.

after checking the records further, i noticed it had most of the miles accrued in the first 6 years. over 110 then with only 20 over the last 5 or so. the last couple of years it only had about a thousand i believe. so i guess im worried about leaks and such but so far so good.

first tank of gas i checked the mileage and got 16 in the city. not bad for a 13 yr old ford.

the tires are stock and had 4k miles, the tranny and engine are original.

work done that i can verify is all minor--radiator hoses, thermostats, belts, brakes, O2, plugs. nothing major which worries me since it all could come crashing down.

its all electric along with the driver door keypad and everything works. this probably surprises me the most. inside is super clean. i must admit, ive only owned one ford before but went from simply getting a work truck/suv to enjoying this one more than i expected.

ok enough rambling. just enjoying the forum and have become an explorer enthusiast it seems.

oh and i was going to change the plugs and wires but saw they only have about 10k miles on them but that was done a few years ago so im undecided. from looking at their placement it looks like it could be a ***** of a job with many busted knuckles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I came acroos the same thing a few months ago. One owner and babied. Not a speck of rust. How much did you buy it for?

I came acroos the same thing a few months ago. One owner and babied. Not a speck of rust. How much did you buy it for?

2500 which i suppose is about average. it drives likes its brand new. the paint is pretty good as well--dark blue. she wanted 3k but being she printed her own money i didnt have to try too hard. the only reason it fell in my lap is she lived in the middle of nowhere and in a gated community so no one could see it during the day.

Is it a 2wd or AWD?

Is it a 2wd or AWD?

its a 2wd. i was just looking over the stuff added since they still had the original sticker in the glove compartment. surprised the automatic transmission said no charge.

I picked mine up for 500. The owner gave it to his son and he didn't want it because the cel was on and he couldn't get it off so he never put it on the road. He was a young kid and it wasn't "cool" enough for him.

This is the first vehicle I've had in a long time I actually like. I got offered 3500 for it yesterday but I couldn't take it. I'd never find another one this year, this clean.

Mines the AWD.

I picked mine up for 500. The owner gave it to his son and he didn't want it because the cel was on and he couldn't get it off so he never put it on the road. He was a young kid and it wasn't "cool" enough for him.

This is the first vehicle I've had in a long time I actually like. I got offered 3500 for it yesterday but I couldn't take it. I'd never find another one this year, this clean.

Mines the AWD.

id like to have to AWD. i mostly worry about the tranny going out since im sure it was used to pull a boat on occasion and its about that time.

but i have an obd scanner which shows no codes and it shifts smooth as can be.

ill just be optimistic til otherwise needed.

Nice buy. '97 XLT is a good choice. :D

Where are the pics?

Nice buy. '97 XLT is a good choice. :D

Where are the pics?

i need to get on that I suppose. i think i have a couple i took on my blackberry but it was pretty dark.

Ive been reading about the message center in these things. I assumed i didnt have one--but i do have the compass/clock thing in the overhead console.

Is that where the computer taps into for the message center? ie, is that where the trip odometer and the readout would be?

jremington, you got one sweet deal for 500 bucks. made any changes to it yet? i saw you were thinking about some headers in one of your first posts.

Mines the AWD.

If only I was that lucky, I'd put 500 for a clean AWD any day.

If only I was that lucky, I'd put 500 for a clean AWD any day.

I'd buy two right now, but around here all you'll find for $500 is rolled or vehicles with no engines or transmissions

after looking over the classifieds here and around the country, im amazed at how cheaply a very nice ride can be had. especially the ones here that are in excellent shape along with sweet mods worth the price of the vehicle alone.

I may end up getting a newer model and keep this one as a project. its definitely a buyer's market.

i need to get on that I suppose. i think i have a couple i took on my blackberry but it was pretty dark.

Ive been reading about the message center in these things. I assumed i didnt have one--but i do have the compass/clock thing in the overhead console.

Is that where the computer taps into for the message center? ie, is that where the trip odometer and the readout would be?

jremington, you got one sweet deal for 500 bucks. made any changes to it yet? i saw you were thinking about some headers in one of your first posts.

I bought a set of AR aluminum rims and put a new set of tires on, a MAC cold air intake and a catback exhaust so far. If I were more mechanically inclined I'd have the TMH but I'm still debating on that one. I think for now I'm just going to fix the pass side cracked ex manifold, get the hid headlights and aftermarket tail lights..

There was an ad on Craigs list for a 97 xlt 5.0 today. I called on it and the guy said it was in good condition and would take 500. He said the tranny was gone. He also said it was in "good" condition. I thought it might be good to get for spare parts. This was the rottenest vehicle I have ever seen. It stunk and was rotted everywhere. I sent him a email telling him I'd give him a hundred bucks for the drive and propshaft and the TC, and he could put the rest on the scales but he hasn't gotten back to me.

its a 2wd. i was just looking over the stuff added since they still had the original sticker in the glove compartment. surprised the automatic transmission said no charge.

An auto was the only transmission available for 5.0 equipped Explorers & Mountaineers.

Don't worry too much about the tranny. The 4r70w is darn near bullet proof. I have 225k on my '97 Mountaineer and it has never been touched.

oh and i was going to change the plugs and wires but saw they only have about 10k miles on them but that was done a few years ago so im undecided. from looking at their placement it looks like it could be a ***** of a job with many busted knuckles.

Its actually alot easier than it looks to replace the spark plugs. The flimsy rubber "fabric" hanging on plastic clips inside the front wheel well comes out. Just jack it up, take the tire off, pull the plastic clips out. The spark plugs will be staring you in the face.

Congratulations, sounds like you got yourself a sweet deal.

I was just given a 2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC with 171,000 miles on it for FREE! I put tires and front hub/bearings on it that's it. Have huge file of all oil changes and other maintenance. Paint is shiny and it runs great! Kinda gives me faith that there are still nice people in the world. LOL

Dave

tick tick tick... is that a time bomb? no its another sohc timing chain

Back