Loose brake caliper question...

Ranger379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
hey guys, iv been smelling brakes when driving, not all the time just every now and then, coming from the right rear brake. i thought maybe they are sticking. it has been pullling a little bit to the right, not real bad tho. well i got the wheel off right now everything looks ok but the whole caliper is loose. u can move it by hand, only moves a tiny little bit. i know this cant be normal haha. how to you tighten it? sorry for the dumb question but i dont see any bolts, they two that have the rubber things around them wont budge...... thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The caliper actually floats on slide pins.
How much movement do you feel? They shouldn't be loose per say, but you might be able to wiggle them ever so slightly. That would also indicate that they are not dragging. Check all 4 brakes, if one is indeed dragging, the rotor will be scored.
The caliper bolts are on the pins that it floats on.

they just barely wiggle. nothing serious. i didnt think they should move at all. rotors look fine. what else would cause the brake smell? ill go check the rest of them as soon as the weather gets better.... thanks

Barely wiggle sounds normal, remember, they float on slide pins.

Back