loose lower intake manifold bolts the culprit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

loose lower intake manifold bolts the culprit?

Creager

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
On this board and at the ranger station technical archives i have read that loose lower intake manifold bolts will cause excessive pinging, oil consumption, and low gas milage?

The last time i changed my oil i only got back 3 out of the 5 quarts i put in there. i have noticed a small oil leak but i havent gotten around to actually discovering the culprit

For the past two fill-ups ive gotten ~180 miles per tank (gas gauge doesnt work) i ran out of gas the second time in two weeks tonight... usually my truck gets 250 miles per tank

Well i took a little trip to the montains and back last weekend (i changed my oil before i left) and i didnt loose any oil there and back, so its possible i went cheap on my last oil change... but i wouldnt of purpously done that...

anyway, the gas milage and the oil loss is making me stear towards tighting down possible loose lower intake manifold bolts. does that sound like the culprit to you guys?

could be.. have you also done a tuneup lately?

If it makes you feel any better about tightening the intake manifold, I do it occasionally just for preventive maintenance. Even if it isn't the specific problem, it won't hurt to tighten those bolts to make sure they are tight.

could be.. have you also done a tuneup lately?

hrmm could be.

replaced plugs and wires in november

flushed cooling in november too

new belt in december

replaced PCV valuve back in september 04..

i guess ill give it a try, ill stop by advanced and pick up some new gaskets.

If it makes you feel any better about tightening the intake manifold, I do it occasionally just for preventive maintenance. Even if it isn't the specific problem, it won't hurt to tighten those bolts to make sure they are tight.

I am under the impression that is the case... ive read about it here and there and i know since i've owned it ive never tried it, and im pretty sure the 2 guys before me never did it. so it might be my problem... i dunno i guess ill just dig deep and go for it.

Back