loose steering

jbouchard

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Greetings,

We have a 98 Sport. This past weekend I lubed the lower ball joints and have felt considerable difference in the steering. Before the lube, the steering was tight-in other words, when we moved the steering wheel the wheels on the car moved. Well, I say that because now when we turn the wheel it is as if there is more play, or a greater degree of being able to turn the wheel before the car actually turns. The steering wheel moves back and forth much easier, like the power steering kicked in-but I think its more than that, like the wheel is looser and not as responsive.

Any thoughts? Could it be that the lower ball joints are bad and when I greased them it became apparent?

(p.s. its been very difficult to keep the car alligned...Ive taken it back numerous times but steering still seems to go one way or the other, but rarely truly straight. Im not sure if this could all be related. Ive replaced the upper ball joints about 2 months ago.)

Thanks for the input.
Judson

Sounds like the lowers are shot.
Put a crow bar between the control arm and the hub, pry up and see if there is any play.

Thank you. I will try that.

Back