• Register Today It's free!

loose steering?

Brian41

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
My 2015 sport has never felt like it "sporty" steering, which I'm being realistic and comparing to other SUV's.
I am now getting concerned because the steering at times feels "loose" and sloppy. I have stood outside the car and moved the steering wheels and there appears to be NO issue or play when I do that.

I can't really describe the issue well, other than the steering wheel seems uncoordinated and just to easy too move. I don't feel confident in driving the car anymore, it is getting that bad.

I have Michelin premier LTX tires, that are properly balanced and inflated to a cold pressure of 35psi. My alignment feels perfect and the car tracks perfectly straight. I am out of warranty and considering taking it into the dealer, but if its like any of my other dealer trips with the many issues with this car, that will likely result with me paying them to say they can't duplicate, so I'm checking on here to see if anyone knows anything I should look at.

I know the tie end rods and ball joints should probably be checked. Me mentioning the things, does not mean I know what I'm looking for, just that I've had those parts go bad on other cars.

I'll say this: on my brand new PIU the steering is certainly not as firm as I expected. I remember my 1996 2dr Explorer Sport having much more precise and accurate steering, but then I myself was probably a lot more precise and accurate back then.

Maybe it’s the epas versus hydraulic steering that makes it feel like that. Also, I feel like the steering wheel gets loose or has play overtime as the car ages. Not sure if that’s normal

Back