Loosened Jackshaft bolt w/o Cam locked! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loosened Jackshaft bolt w/o Cam locked!

I believe I understand. The rotational position of the jackshaft has no relevance on the functioning of the engine. It only keeps the timing of the left and right cams(through the front and back chain and sprockets)?

I ask because I put the crank back at TDC, aligned the cams with the ford tool kit. Put her back in the truck and she started up right away. But it runs rough and there sounds like there is a ticking noise coming from the drivers side head. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ticking noise

I believe I understand. The rotational position of the jackshaft has no relevance on the functioning of the engine. It only keeps the timing of the left and right cams(through the front and back chain and sprockets)?

Correct.

I ask because I put the crank back at TDC, aligned the cams with the ford tool kit. Put her back in the truck and she started up right away. But it runs rough and there sounds like there is a ticking noise coming from the drivers side head. Any ideas?

The lash adjusters are hydraulic similar to hydraulic valve lifters. When the engine is taken apart or sits for a long period the oil drains from the lash adjusters causing excessive clearance and "ticking". I had a similar symptom after replacing my timing chain related components. The lash adjusters should pressurize after running the engine for about thirty minutes at mid range engine speed.

Running rough could be a symptom of a vacuum hose not connected or broken.

With high miles the lash adjusters also may simply be worn out. My Explorer has 190,000 miles and after the timing chains and tensioners, guides etc were all replaced the engine was SO quiet that I can now hear the noise of the pulleys and the faint click-click-clicking of the lash adjusters occaisionally.

They are relatively easy to replace once you have the tool, but an interim fix might be simply adding some marvel mystery oil or Lucas (my preference)... Either of these might add just enough viscosity to pump up the lash adjusters and quiet things a bit.

Either way, I don't feel a slight lash adjuster clicking is anything critical.

oil pressure?

Another possibility is low oil pressure. I was disgusted when I learned that Ford cheaped out with an oil pressure switch driving an analog indicator instead of installing an oil pressure sending unit. To me knowing the relative to normal oil pressure is almost as important as knowing the relative to normal engine coolant temperature. That's why I added a sending unit that I can switch to drive one of my A pillar pod mounted indicators.

Well, I went out today and pulled the valve cover to check timing. tried to cheat and advance the syncing (don't ask). It didn't get rid of the ticking, I let her run on and off for a while, the noise was not coming from the lash adjuster. For some reason I decided to pull out the new tensioner and put the old one back in, and the noise was gone??? Soooo I think the problem is fixed, I ran her for a good 45 min. she still runs a bit rough. Tomorrow I'm going to finish putting in the cooling system and take out for a ride.

I will let you know what happened. I hope I don't run in to any problems.
Thanks in advance.

I'm curious

Well, I went out today and pulled the valve cover to check timing. tried to cheat and advance the syncing (don't ask). . .

I envy 3rd generation owners who can remove a valve cover in just a short period of time due to the one intake manifold. On my 2nd generation it takes me a couple hours to get down to a valve cover.

I'm curious about how you "advance the syncing". Are you loosening the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt and changing the camshaft timing relative to the crankshaft? I've heard that many Mustang SOHC V6 owners advance their camshaft timing about 5 degrees more than stock. I haven't tried it because my Sport weighs considerably more than a Mustang and I don't want to sacrifice low engine speed torque for a high engine speed horsepower increase.

Quick update. Redid timing, runs great. And for advancing the timing 2000Steetrod, you where bang on, that is what I did. I didn't take her for a drive so I can't say if I lost any power or performance. I just ended up putting in the old tensioner, I guess it really does not pay to shop Chinese? Thanks again.

Back