Los Coyotes Run - SanDiego County Aug. 99 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Los Coyotes Run - SanDiego County Aug. 99

I checked with the Warner Springs Resort today and as I thought they are a private club. Unless you know someone that is a member no luck. Otherwise no I do not know of any other places out there. So for now the camping thing or motor home is the thing. Pete if your wife gets to the point where she needs some place to cool off, the motor home that I am renting is air condition, & she is more then welcome to stay in it during the day & that goes for anyone else who might need it. Got to keep the women happy!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paul - Thanks for the update. Actually the Crew Chief will do fine; she's the outdoorsy type, just a little new to this off-roading thing, doesn't care to be bounced around a great deal, and one or two trails are enough for her, for the day. Give her a book and a shade tree and she's good to go for the duration. I do have an 18-month old who might take you up on the motor home invite for her afternoon nap, though - thanks for the offer. My concern was that the place is right next to El Centro - have you ever been to El Centro/Brawley/Salton in August? I have! It's a very pleasant, balmy 110°.

Pete, ya I been through that area traveling on Interstate 10 to Tucson, In fact I will be going through there this Friday morning on my way to PHX. & Tucson AZ. for the week-end.
The Indians say it usually is around 95 deg. But there is lots of shade trees. Today they are having Thunderstorms which I said would be possible in August.

Paul/Rick/et al. -Do we want to keep this an all-Explorer run? A friend of mine (experienced off-roader) with a new Ch#vy S-10 with the off-road pkg wants to know if he is allowed also. If not - no sweat, we'll make a separate trip, another time.

It looks like the Crew Chief and door gunners can't make the trip due to a scheduling conflict (church camp). So, Paul, looks like I won't need the motor home for the little one's nap, after all. Thanks again for offering. I'll still do the dutch oven thing for Sat dinner, but no guarantees... Mama runs it a lot better than I do...

Let me know about my friend so I can give him enough time for planning if Ch#vi&s aren't allowed Dead Link Removed. Thanks! - Pete

Pete, ya your friend is welcome to come. Could you have him sign up on the form. Thanks.

Can someone tell me what the policy is regarding dogs at Los Coyotes? We are interested in going but can't leave the dog home alone.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim, your dog's are allowed. They only request that they do not run loose or become pesky to other campers. Anyother questions?
Please feel free to ask. Thanks.

This is just a quick note to everyone going on the run on Aug.13-15. All thoses that are meeting at Denny's Rest. off of Interstate 15 at Rancho Calif. turn off please let me know before Aug.13. All thoses that are coming up from the south and are meeting Kevin Kocher at his meeting point please let Kevin know at his e-mail address or phone no.
This will give us a head count so we will know how many are meeting at each point. It will also let us know if we need to wait for anyone who might be late arriving. Thanks for your help.

Kevin will be waiting at the corner of highway S-2 & 79 (there is a big dirt turnout there) between 9:00-9:30am on Friday.
His e-mail address is Kevin.Kocher@cai.com.
His direct phone no. is 858-625-6872.

My e-mail address is paulmbredehoft@mindspring.com.
My office phone no. is 714-997-4896.
My cellular no. is 714-231-7335.

Or you can leave a reponse on this web page.
Thanks.

Well, I just wanted to post a quick follow-up to the run. We had a total of 8 Explorers, and I can say for one that I met an awful lot of great people on this trip. No one rolled (myself included ;-) ), had to be towed, or broke anything we couldn't fix. I will be doing a write-up (with pictures) for Rick to post as soon as I can get enough shots together to write a story about it. If you were part of the festivities, pls add your comments. I'm sure everyone would be interested in your opinions of it. Thanks again to all who showed up, and I just want to say that in lieu of the terrible news about Jack, I know he was with us that weekend in spirit, and I'll be dedicating this trip to him. We love you Jack, and you will be missed by all of us.

Were back from our awesome Explorer Run!!!!!

Kevin Kocher is going to do a write up on this trip soon, but I just wanted to say a few words of my own. First I want to say what a great bunch of Explorer people I met this pass week-end. Out of 12 trucks that signed up we had 8 trucks show up. When Kevin & I first did the pre-run back in May the trails were pretty good. But to our surprise, with all the rain they had here in June & July, the trails had really changed in a awesome way. Only on one trail did Pete & Wendy take the option not to do(they had the only stock Explorers). But I want to give them a lot of credit for trying all of the other trails with great off-road spirit.

My truck suffer some more body damage, but that comes with the course in doing the hard stuff. We only had one brake down, that on Jay's two door sport. Jay was able to fix it there at camp & was on the trail again Saturday morning. Kevin can give more details on his repair work. We had great weather, & gourmet potluck & great off-road video's for the evening viewing.

Once again a big thank you to Kevin Kocher for his support in organizing this run, and also to Wendy Crawford, Darien & JoAnn Gagnon, Kevin's friend Mat, Wil Thoms (& family) Mark Greene, Jerry Driver, Pete Chandler, & Jay & Jennifer Schimek. You people made this a great Explorer Run!!!!!

I want to add my $0.02 also. This was a great run. My truck is stock except for 30x9.50 tires, and I think the others would agree with me that we found out just exactly what a stock Explorer can do. Wendy and I went over some gnarly obstacles that I had some serious second thoughts about,a t least at first. One of the trails was a creek bed more than it was a road. I did get some slight damage on the bottom body flange, to add to that I received going over the Mojave Road. So now I have matching dents. Also got high-centered a couple times on the forward leaf spring mount.

Thanks to Paul and Kev for organizing this run (and patience with beginners), to Paul for the nitrogen and appetizers and to Darien for some great spotting. Met a lot of great folks. Looking forward to next time!

Yeah, I was there ! And it was GREAT ! Met a lot of great people, found out a lot of useful information on Explorer mods. The awesome trails, the expert spotting and Matt's runn'in 'round tak'in pic's, directing
and videoing made for a real enjoyable time, I think for all ! This IS the way group 4-wheeling should be ! I had a wonderful time, thanks to you all ! I'll be back ! !
Those that were there, keep in touch.
Those that want to know more, just ask ! !

I just want to pass along a note from Wil Thoms that he e-mail to me about last week-end trip.

We sure had a great trip! Thanks for every thing, one of our best trips! I would like to get on your mail list for future runs, so long as it's within the limits of my truck.
I'll be looking forward to seeing pics on the website.

It was a pleasure meeting you, and all the others on the run.
Wil.

Thanks to Paul & Kevin for setting up this run. Although my truck would not go into 4x4, so I was stuck to just two wheel drive, had a change to SEE some great trails and meet with and enjoy some good people.
Thanks again Paul & Kevin looking forward to the next trip out,(4by shift motor is working ).

jerry (thunderhorse)

Thanks Paul and Kevin, the trip was great. Like Pete I had a little rearrangement of metal on the underbody to add to what was already there. It was such a nice trip. The people were great, the potluck was wonderful, the driving was sometimes very challanging for my truck but hope to go out again soon. Pete, Wil and Mark I will be e-mailing you some pictures!! Had so great shots. If anyone had some shots of my explorer I would like to see them. Thanks again for a wonderful trip

Hey guys, I would LOVE to see a write-up with pics of this run. Is something in the works?

Hey, Bill (aka RangerX) you missed a great run. How's your truck? Yes, there is a write up being done right now by Kevin and also pictures of the run will be posted as soon as Kevin gets the material to Rick and Rick as the time to get it posted. So keep looking for it. Possibly by this week sometime? Stay in touch man!

Das right baybee. I've been busy scanning, duping videos, and e-mailing pics. Got it all sent off yesterday to Rick. I'm about halfway through the write-up. I'll be done by this week-end at the latest. Hopefully sooner!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back