• Register Today It's free!

losing power on hills

chad93ex

Reaction score
City, State
Pasco, WA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer xlt
Hey all I need some wisdom! My 93 has never been a power house since I got it but it is getting steadily worse! On any sort of hill or incline it loses speed and I'm talking going from 75 down to 40 on like a half mile hill! Well it even did it to me on an off ramp this morning. Running in overdrive it never downshifts it just steadily decreases speed and power. If I push on the gas it does nothing at all rpms don't pick up nothing. I do notice it shakes a bit when it does this and hear some pinging like maybe valves. It only seems to do this when going up hill or under load for lack of better terms. Well starting this morning actually it started running rough at stops and taking off like it is all loaded up or missing. I did also notice it sounded like an exhaust leak this morning when I got out of it at work as well. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could start with something very easy, take a few minutes to inspect your kickdown cable leading from your gas pedal down to the transmission. Make sure the tubing with the cable inside isn't rusted away allowing the cable to pop out, and check if it's full or slack/out of adjustment. This could cause your trans not to downshift, which with like only 150hp NEW in 1993, you desperately need.

But it sounds like it could be something more since it does it from a stop and stuff now too. How does your trans fluid look? Dirty?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-set-the-kickdown-cable.249965/&ved=2ahUKEwjUipKV5oDaAhVIyVMKHeLvBPkQFjABegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw2jMeg-o0dpyQRo_wOfZyeA

You could start with something very easy, take a few minutes to inspect your kickdown cable leading from your gas pedal down to the transmission. Make sure the tubing with the cable inside isn't rusted away allowing the cable to pop out, and check if it's full or slack/out of adjustment. This could cause your trans not to downshift, which with like only 150hp NEW in 1993, you desperately need.

But it sounds like it could be something more since it does it from a stop and stuff now too. How does your trans fluid look? Dirty?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-set-the-kickdown-cable.249965/&ved=2ahUKEwjUipKV5oDaAhVIyVMKHeLvBPkQFjABegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw2jMeg-o0dpyQRo_wOfZyeA
I will give it a whirl! I was curious if the cat was plugged up something but could be a combo of things

Downshift cable needs adjustment. .

Im going to hijack this thread sorry...... I have the pinging problem only going up hills on the freeway, it' not loud Just pinging??? I use 87 octane.... Is there a pinging sensor on these 1st gens. Any help please....

Thanks

Im going to hijack this thread sorry...... I have the pinging problem only going up hills on the freeway, it' not loud Just pinging??? I use 87 octane.... Is there a pinging sensor on these 1st gens. Any help please....

Thanks
No sensor. .take it out and red line it a couple times,it will clean the carbon out...

There is a octane bar you can pull that pulls timing or run 90+ gas or tr6 plugs..

Ps...Best to start own thread

So adjusted cable based of the link above I pushed the button pulled cable out of fire wall released button and pushed down pedal. On way to work this morning I getting on highway flat surface it did not want to accelerate at all and almost felt like a dead spot and loss of power at 40-45 then picked up to 60. I floor boarded it and it kicked down it accelerated a bit I let off check engine light came on for about 10 seconds. It still is very sluggish and not wanting to accelerate what so ever. I have developed a hole in the muffler itself but that shouldn't effect acceleration a lot just sound dumb and annoying!

First thing I would do on old high mile vehicle, is a cylinder compression check. But like others keep saying, buy or borrow a fuel pressure gauge. Most likely going to be failing fuel pump, clogged filter, or bad fuel pressure regulator. Course could also be bad injector.... or bad plug. Running on four or five cylinders...

If you cant remember last time fuel filter replaced, probably should just do that on general principles. Its not particularly difficult, but Ford did make it unpleasant for the doityourselfer, gas will be spilled. Probably on you....

If the fuel filter has not been changed in a while, gas will be spilled. Most likely blood will be spilled, and unholy words will be uttered. Several trips will be made to various auto parts stores for odd unclipping tools for the fuel lines. This is a job done best on a good night's sleep and not a little bit of courage.

Just to offer bit hope, think Ford used more than one kind clip over the years. Mine had the simple little plastic U-shape clips. One I just pulled off with my fingers, the other needed bit persuasion with a small flat bladed screw driver. New clips should come with the filter. The real nasty is that Ford made little box in the frame and the filter is held BACKside of this box with a rusty hose clamp. Darn little room for fingers or whatever. Awkward angles and all that. I managed, but I think if one had huge problems, perhaps that box could be unbolted from frame, though most likely the bolts would just break.

I'm not sure when fuel filters were changed as I was just given the vehicle a couple of months ago but I will change them and see what happens. Thanks guys. Would clogged up cause this?

I'm not sure when fuel filters were changed as I was just given the vehicle a couple of months ago but I will change them and see what happens. Thanks guys. Would clogged up cause this?

Yes it could. There is only one fuel filter (well there is a sock filter in the tank) on the driver's side frame rail. I have always had good luck with using both the metal fuel line tools AND the plastic fuel line tools together. Usually if I use one tool, stop and cuss at it, and use the other tool...usually between the two one of them ends up removing the fuel line. Wear eye protection.

There should be a metal bracket around the fuel filter. You will need to loosen it (or remove it) and I think it's two 13mm bolts if I recall correctly.

Back