Loss of compression #4 cylinder, need some advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loss of compression #4 cylinder, need some advice

MatchGrade7.62

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT V8
Just to give you all some background info I'll tell the story that lead to this dead cylinder in my explorer. It's a 97 XLT with the 302 v8 and all wheel drive.

My radiator started leaking coolant early last month, suspiciously a couple days after getting some recall work done by the ford dealership. I didn't think it was anything major, and I had to get to somewhere 30 miles away I thought it would be alright if I kept filling up the radiator. Long story short the engine overheated, radiator and thermostat got replaced and after leaving the shop I noticed some power loss and rough idle. Check engine light came on, I scanned and found misfire code, then checked the spark plugs, wires, packs, and injectors, all fine.

So I brought the truck to the dealer and they determined there was a loss of compression in the #4 cylinder. They recommended I replace the engine, which I am trying to avoid the hassle of finding a junkyard v8 and swapping it in. So my guess is that its either a burned exhaust valve, valve seal, piston ring, piston itself, or something in the valvetrain like rocker arm pushrod etc which would be a lot easier to replace than the others. So how shoud I proceed? What would it cost to have a private mechanic open up the engine find out whats wrong and replace it? And would that be more expensive than just finding a low mileage 302 and having a shop put it in?

The other question is how much time would be required and tools for me to take apart the engine myself and fix the cylinder? I've done some work on engines before but never taken apart the whole block or done an overhaul.

I'm trying to sell the explorer for 2500 or 3000 then buy a newer ex or a ranger so Im just trying to get it in condition to get sold.

The first thing to do is pull the valve cover and see what is going on. If you find the problem there, it should be an easy fix. If nothing apparent in the valve train, then it is tear down time. It may be better to sell the vehicle for what you can get than to repair/ change engines then trying to sell it.

Back