Loss of power, fixed with MAF disconnected | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loss of power, fixed with MAF disconnected

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
So I've done some searching and I'm not sure what direction to head now. The Explorer I purchased has run like crap since I've had it. I wasn't able to drive it before I swapped the transmission but I'm guessing road manners are similar to what I'm experiencing now.

I am still running with the auto ECU. It hardly has any power and severe pinging under load. Fuel pressure all checks out ok as of today. Tune up items have all been replaced. THe sticking point is it will running perfectly fine with now MAF disconnected. I'm not sure what direction to head at this point.

Only codes pulled KOEO were for the 3/4 solenoid and converter solenoid. Any help would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try cleaning the MAF?

Yes, that was one of the first things I did.

Swap in a known good one? None of the wiring is rubbed through in the harness?

Check for leaks in the intake tube and attached hoses. They break often from the heat. If it was taking in more air than the MAF could account for, it would run like crap. Then when you disconnect it, the ECU says, "System off line. Revert to open loop." It then runs your engine with a preset fuel and spark maps (usually rich) so you can limp home and fix the MAF.

Any of that make since?

I dont have much experience with a 1st gen, but on my 97 when i swapped to manual it did exactly what you described until i killed the manual and swapped back to an auto. Once i put the auto back in it ran fine again

Swap in a known good one? None of the wiring is rubbed through in the harness?

That's my plan now.

Check for leaks in the intake tube and attached hoses. They break often from the heat. If it was taking in more air than the MAF could account for, it would run like crap. Then when you disconnect it, the ECU says, "System off line. Revert to open loop." It then runs your engine with a preset fuel and spark maps (usually rich) so you can limp home and fix the MAF.

Any of that make since?

I've gone over for vacuum leaks. I will try again. I'll see if I can get the saab flipped around so I can hook up the boost gauge to measure vacuum.

I dont have much experience with a 1st gen, but on my 97 when i swapped to manual it did exactly what you described until i killed the manual and swapped back to an auto. Once i put the auto back in it ran fine again

And I would think that as well but it ran awful before I put the manual in. The first gen uses a vacuum controlled auto so there is very little input from the computer about it. I'm still on the hunt for a manual ECU though.

I'm not talking about vacuum leaks, those would be after the TB. I'm talking about air leaks in the intake tube, before the TB.

The tube is in good shape, both clamps are sealing tight and the oil line is firmly attached.

I'm happy to report that a replacement MAF has fixed the problem. Now if only my fifth gear issue was that easy!

Cool... What's wrong with the transmission?

Back