• Register Today It's free!

Loss of power

Itscodyf

Reaction score
City, State
Ashland
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 Explorer Sport
We have an 18 model sport, yesterday I noticed it doesn’t seem to have much power when you step on the pedal as it use to.

No dash lights or anything, and when starting it I hear a click/clunk from under the hood, that I haven’t noticed before.

Any insight or what to check?

Just did oil change today, levels are good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Cody. :wave:
Hard to tell where the sound is coming from. Maybe you could isolate the area if you opened the hood and had someone else start it up or use the remote start. Perhaps the starter? Do you get gas at the same station or brand all the time or different ones? Octane level?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Cody. :wave:
Hard to tell where the sound is coming from. Maybe you could isolate the area if you opened the hood and had someone else start it up or use the remote start. Perhaps the starter? Do you get gas at the same station or brand all the time or different ones? Octane level?

Peter
Thank you,

I will try to have someone else smart it, I tried with remote start but couldn’t with hood open.

I do get gas at various stations, running 87 as well.

Seems noise is gone. I have noticed this evening. I can’t get it past 85mph or 5500RPM

If you want to remote start with the hood open, you have to press and hold down the hood ajar switch.

I wonder if you are having issues with your wastegate on one of your turbos. Do you still have the scoop that's under the passenger side under the valence?

I test drove 1 Taurus SHO and 2 Explorer sports that had an issue with the turbo wastegate on the rear being fully open and not allowing either turbo to build boost. It wasn't throwing a code but it was causing such a loss of power that the SHO I drove took over 10 seconds to get from 50MPH-60MPH if I floored it completely. No exaggeration on the last statement either.

Thank you,

I will try to have someone else smart it, I tried with remote start but couldn’t with hood open.

I do get gas at various stations, running 87 as well.
Forgot about the hood switch. I use the same brand 91 octane all the time. However, the extra cost isn't offset by any small performance gains.

Peter

If you want to remote start with the hood open, you have to press and hold down the hood ajar switch.

I wonder if you are having issues with your wastegate on one of your turbos. Do you still have the scoop that's under the passenger side under the valence?

I test drove 1 Taurus SHO and 2 Explorer sports that had an issue with the turbo wastegate on the rear being fully open and not allowing either turbo to build boost. It wasn't throwing a code but it was causing such a loss of power that the SHO I drove took over 10 seconds to get from 50MPH-60MPH if I floored it completely. No exaggeration on the last statement either.
I’ve attached a picture of the valance, I’m not familiar with the scoop

I didn’t think about pushing the button to remote start.
However the noise is gone, haven’t noticed anymore over the last 2 days.

I filled up with 93, and about 3/4 tank gone with it and it seems a tad more response when full throttle.
Still struggles on the slightest hill, good out around 80 and gets stuck and won’t shift gears if I don’t let off pedal at 5800rmp.

3C261758-971E-4D3C-9B5B-EF0A93F721E2.jpeg

It would seem that you are missing the air intake deflector that helps to cool the PTU.

Peter

I’ve attached a picture of the valance, I’m not familiar with the scoop

I didn’t think about pushing the button to remote start.
However the noise is gone, haven’t noticed anymore over the last 2 days.

I filled up with 93, and about 3/4 tank gone with it and it seems a tad more response when full throttle.
Still struggles on the slightest hill, good out around 80 and gets stuck and won’t shift gears if I don’t let off pedal at 5800rmp.

View attachment 343219
Yeah you are definitely missing the scoop that goes under there to redirect some airflow to the rear turbo and PTU. Not saying this is causing any of the issues but you may have turbo issues on the rear. If you own or purchase an OBDII reader, you should be able to see what kind of boost your turbos are building, if any. This may help point you in the right direction on what needs to be done.

BB5Z-9910494-A is the part number for the scoop on the 16-19 MYs.

Yep, looking at those links. It’s definitely something I’m missing.

I do have a higher end scan tool. Let me see if I can figure out how to determine the boost

The last photo is showing max wastegate on acceleration in Park.

DC09F7CD-64EC-4896-9077-480297FADF7C.jpeg 741D4B81-AD80-43E5-8D12-777DF2888F73.jpeg 70679F41-FC64-406B-86A9-24FE2E64CE5F.jpeg

Attachments

• DC09F7CD-64EC-4896-9077-480297FADF7C.jpeg
    DC09F7CD-64EC-4896-9077-480297FADF7C.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 741D4B81-AD80-43E5-8D12-777DF2888F73.jpeg
    741D4B81-AD80-43E5-8D12-777DF2888F73.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 82

So your wastegate is maxed out? If so, that's probably why it isn't building any boost.

Can you drive your vehicle while that scanner is plugged in?

So your wastegate is maxed out? If so, that's probably why it isn't building any boost.

Can you drive your vehicle while that scanner is plugged in?
At idle it’s only around 0.03%

Yes I can drive while it’s connected.

Not sure how helpful this is. It seems waste gate maxes out pretty quickly.

Just to add to this.

The last few days I’ve noticed on cold start ups, for the first 5 mins or so on heavy acceleration we get a lot of white smoke.

Have you checked your coolant levels recently?

I'm starting to think you have a turbo failing on you, especially since your mentioned white smoke under hard acceleration and you are missing your duct to cool the rear turbo and PTO. The wastegate maxing out very easily/quickly might be another indicator.

Is there anyway you can monitor your boost levels of your turbos?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm starting to think you have a turbo failing on you, especially since your mentioned white smoke under hard acceleration and you are missing your duct to cool the rear turbo and PTO. The wastegate maxing out very easily/quickly might be another indicator.

Is there anyway you can monitor your boost levels of your turbos?
That’s my thoughts as well, I’d imagine I can with my scan tool, just trying to figure out how to on it. I reached out to autel hopefully they will get back to me soon, so I can try to check the boost levels.

Back