Lost emergency key from remote fob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lost emergency key from remote fob

RSNovi

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Limited 4WD
Hello,

I grabbed my wife's remote key fob and noticed the emergency key was missing and she is unable to find it. Do you know if you can buy just the emergency key or do you need to buy the entire fob?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, sounds like you're in a pickle!

Hey step 1, RELAX!

Step two grab the second Key Fob, go to a key master and have him duplicate it for you.

I'm sure you can find blanks for that type of emergency replacement.

I'm sure you'll save hundreds of dollars....who says Boston Lager can't make you think quick on your feet??

The hey in the keyfob is only to lock out the glove compartment from the valet not to start the car your car only has push start feature !!!

One of mine mysteriously disappeared. I went to the parts department at the local Ford dealer and they cut me a new one for about $15.

Hello,

I grabbed my wife's remote key fob and noticed the emergency key was missing and she is unable to find it. Do you know if you can buy just the emergency key or do you need to buy the entire fob?
Are you referring to the removable mechanical key blade that slides out of the key fob? If so, it is used to open the driver's door and glove box. I will be interesting to see if this key can be cut by a hardware store or locksmith.

Yes, it is the key blade that is hidden in the fob on a limited.

gstuartw, does that $15 cover the blade with the chrome piece that snaps in the fob?

...I will be interesting to see if this key can be cut by a hardware store or locksmith.
peterk9,
I found that it can’t be cut by a hardware store or a locksmith.

...gstuartw, does that $15 cover the blade with the chrome piece that snaps in the fob?
RSNovi,
I looked into it and was told it does have the snap in piece included. You can also refer to it with the Explorer’s piece number 164-R8041 when you go to the dealer. Let me know if you need any additional help with that. :)

Cory

peterk9,
I found that it can’t be cut by a hardware store or a locksmith.

RSNovi,
I looked into it and was told it does have the snap in piece included. You can also refer to it with the Explorer’s piece number 164-R8041 when you go to the dealer. Let me know if you need any additional help with that. :)

Cory

Thanks Cori. I will give the dealer a call.

Chris

Yes, it is the key blade that is hidden in the fob on a limited.

gstuartw, does that $15 cover the blade with the chrome piece that snaps in the fob?

Sorry for the delay, yes the replacement is just like what you have in your other key/remote. Blade with plastic head and metal lock.

Chris,
That’s what I do. ;) Any ideas for what happened to the original key? :)

Cory

I am not sure what happened. I just looked down one day and it was gone. It must have fallen out by handling it. In and out of pockets or my wife's purse.

Chris

I am not sure what happened. I just looked down one day and it was gone. It must have fallen out by handling it. In and out of pockets or my wife's purse.

Chris
Chris,
Darn! Check all the pockets! Even if you can’t find it, you have the Labor Day weekend to look forward to. ;)

Cory

Last edited:

Back