• Register Today It's free!

Lost FOB / Key

roamingphantom

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 EX Limited, 302A
So in a week i've managed to loose the backup key to my 2013 EX Limited with powered liftgate. Actually i think my GF lost it and is blaming me..:D

Should i go to the dealer for replacements or just get one from ebay and have him program it. I called him and he said it would be around $60 to reprogram 2 for me.

Advice?

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So in a week i've managed to loose the backup key to my 2013 EX Limited with powered liftgate. Actually i think my GF lost it and is blaming me..:D

Should i go to the dealer for replacements or just get one from ebay and have him program it. I called him and he said it would be around $60 to reprogram 2 for me.

Advice?
I guess it would depend on the price difference between an Internet or dealer buy. Does the $60 also include cutting the key blade?

Peter

I guess it would depend on the price difference between an Internet or dealer buy. Does the $60 also include cutting the key blade?

Peter

hi Peter,
Yes it does..kinda makes it a deal actually. Should i just pick any with the same style and buttons or is there a certain series etc i need to look for

I was at the Ford dealership the other day and I needed a FOB. They offered me an Android App that can unlock, remote start and locate your vehicle from the cell phone. When they told me it was six ninety nine and the app for the phone was around $50 a year i said "do it". Then I said, "wait, you did mean $6.99 right?) Of course the answer was "no, it's $699 for the vehicle programming, then $50/year for the app". I opted for the $175 replacement 4 button FOB, cut and programmed. This is all because the original owner turned the vehicle in with only one FOB. The Owners manual was still wrapped in plastic next to the spare...:O

I was at the Ford dealership the other day and I needed a FOB. They offered me an Android App that can unlock, remote start and locate your vehicle from the cell phone. When they told me it was six ninety nine and the app .................

Did you happen to find out what the range of the phone app and hardware? I would do that if it was alot less.

I was at the Ford dealership the other day and I needed a FOB. They offered me an Android App that can unlock, remote start and locate your vehicle from the cell phone. When they told me it was six ninety nine and the app for the phone was around $50 a year i said "do it". Then I said, "wait, you did mean $6.99 right?) Of course the answer was "no, it's $699 for the vehicle programming, then $50/year for the app". I opted for the $175 replacement 4 button FOB, cut and programmed. This is all because the original owner turned the vehicle in with only one FOB. The Owners manual was still wrapped in plastic next to the spare...:O
I'm glad that you got the second set but if the dealer only supplied you with one FOB, I would have insisted that they supply a second one free of charge. I don't think I've ever bought a vehicle, new or used that came with only 1 key.

Peter

Perhaps I should have "hit the dealer" up for a second FOB. To be honest, we were trading in the Chevy Uplander (oops can i say Chevy here on Serious-X?), we stumbled across this new wholesale lot with year old cars and the wifey opened the door, saw the leather and the third row seat and sat down. If I would have done it the right way, I would have thoroughly researched the prices, options, and probably ended up at the Ford dealer looking for a good certified used X. This one has 20k, with remaining factory warranty and an extended warranty Ford will respect so I thought it was not so bad at 28k USD.The "C mini van" was a disaster, falling apart at 86k miles, air conditioning $2600, electric doors failing, rear park assist inop, ABS and Check engine lights on etc. Couple that with poor customer service from the dealer, (they just don't care) and it was time to leave GM. I will give FMC a chance to win me over. The X is stylish, comfortable, technology laden and bold. The dealership is bustling with activity and the employees are energized about the product.

My Ford App

Did you happen to find out what the range of the phone app and hardware? I would do that if it was alot less.

The system works with the cell either through WI-fi or through the cell network. Not sure of the range but there's a lot of information on the web. The dealer emailed me the pdf sales flyer, but I can't figure out how to attach it to the message. The flyer is rather vague so I'm not sure about the range. It's not bluetooth reliant so it should work anywhere. All it says is "from anywhere with a Wi-fi or a cellular signal". $699 is a chunk of change though and that's just for the programming.:salute:

Lost key

Well, lost 1 of 2 keys for my 2013 explorer... For those that don't know if you only have one you need a computer. Called the freedom ford in norfolk, and they quoted me $275 to make a key. Local locksmith did it with a non remote key for $45, was $130 for the remote key.

Point of this post is to first let people know to make a spare... You can get them from ebay for $85, and have cut for a few bucks, the program yourself.

Second and least important point is to highlight the extortionist prices of freedom ford, they are the worst!!! Beach ford here is much better, with service as well as prices. Probably going to complain formally about freedom ford when I get a few minutes after the holidays. Needless to say, this is not the only issue I've had with them. To my distorting, They are by far the closest, dealer to me :-(

Lost 2nd smart key

It would seem I've lost the 2nd 5 button smart key for my wife's 2012 Explorer. Anyone know where I can get one for a good price? I don't care if it already has the key cut. If you have one you don't need please let me know. Thanks

Just a heads up for anyone who lost a key, when programming the new key(s), make sure to delete the old key(s) to prevent any chance of unauthorized entry. The same goes for FOBs. Some dealers tend to only program the new key/fob without erasing the old ones.

I contacted LevittownFordSuperCenter (Benny) on this site and he is getting me a new key at what seems like a decent price. You should reach out to him.

I asked why the "Intelligent Access Key" doesn't show up on the parts sites like other parts and it sounds like they come through a different supply chain so most dealers/retailers don't stock them but can get them.

Jon

One of my keys is lost, I purchased 2 keys on ebay. Now I am trying to find someone to program the keys and reset the programming in the original functioning key (for security reasons). The quotes i have received so far proving this to be very expensive, about $100 per key. Any suggestions on where I can get it programmed for less? I am in the bay area, California at the moment. Thank you.

PS. My key is the most advanced available, with remote engine start and remote power lift gate release and close buttons.

rman66, your thread has been merged with this one. Using the Forum's 'Search' feature I found a few more but this seemed to be the most appropriate. There are posts here that show some prices members have been quoted. I believe you will have to visit the dealer if you only have 1 programmed key.
Please use the 'Search' feature before beginning a new thread as all members are urged to do. Thanks and good luck.

Peter

Last edited:

From what I understand, you can program "up to four keys" to your SUV but mine seems to indicate it has 3 keys programmed. When I bought it (used) this month, I got two keys with it. Does this mean I am limited to ONE more spare key only?

The dealer wanted a really high price to do a spare key and I had to bring in two keys. He said it was a "security" issue even though he sold me the car, it's registered to me, and I'm a cop so WHAT security issue?

I bought a key online that has those instructions where you have to have two working keys and go through this on-off a certain number of times, rub belly and pat head, etc. to program the new key (after having it cut to fit). Will this use up my fourth and last possible key that my Ex will accept?

From what I understand, you can program "up to four keys" to your SUV but mine seems to indicate it has 3 keys programmed. When I bought it (used) this month, I got two keys with it. Does this mean I am limited to ONE more spare key only?

The dealer wanted a really high price to do a spare key and I had to bring in two keys. He said it was a "security" issue even though he sold me the car, it's registered to me, and I'm a cop so WHAT security issue?

I bought a key online that has those instructions where you have to have two working keys and go through this on-off a certain number of times, rub belly and pat head, etc. to program the new key (after having it cut to fit). Will this use up my fourth and last possible key that my Ex will accept?

Yes, it will take up the last slot, however, the dealer can delete the others.

I went to the dealer here just to have keys cut, not even programmed, and they acted like I was going through a security clearance background check. I had two keys with me, and all they had to do was cut them. It was ridiculous.

It's a CYA thing. They don't want to be responsible for cutting a key to give access to someone who isn't the owner. I know of some dealers that will not aid in the programming process without registration. Keys themselves do not mean that someone has authorized access as opposed to having merely obtained a symbol of that access.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can program a maximum of eight coded keys to your vehicle. Only four of these eight can be integrated keyhead transmitters. If you have the Intelligent Access key then it is a maximum of four.

Peter

Back