lost... hard starting and acts like flooding plugs. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lost... hard starting and acts like flooding plugs.

riverkid

Reaction score
City, State
indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
Hi. Started a buddys explorer last week to warm up. Started great and let warm up. Then had to hold RPMs at 3000 to get warm air to defrost windows. after a few minutes of doing this, the RPMs went up and I had difficulty holding a steady 3000 rpm. I let it go to idle and was running rough and had a some kind of odd cachunky sound on the top front drivers side of engine. I tried starting the next morning. The sound was no longer present, but, initial start up was difficult and would not idle, a rough slow down and die.

I found there had been no tune up in a long time, the plugs were the worst I have ever seen and the engine was over a quart low on oil. Replace those and restarted..... ran fair for a few minutes and then turned to a rough idle and died. Found plugs were wet, all but one. Checked spark for each wire and found one not having spark....all others were a yellow colored spark....used a new plug to check each wire....replaced wires.....

Still is really terrible. I have to depress accelerator pedal fully to start the engine and it barely gets up to 1000 rpm and then dies....probably fouled plugs.....

Is there any way to get codes without getting to some place that has a reader? Also can the old worn out ignition conditions have something locked into the on board computer that may keep the engine in a fuel rich situation?

It one isn't sparking and the spark is yellow I would suggest a coil pack. No way of getting codes with out a scanner.

Thank You. Old dinosaur here....used to be able to get them before scanners.

Back