lost power on freeway... something burnt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lost power on freeway... something burnt

santeebuds

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
alright was driving on the freeway when there was this clicking noise everytime i would accelerate... get ahold of my boss and he tells me to head home well turned around and all of a sudden the truck just looses power and i slow to like 40 mph and pull over... check the oil and smoke was coming from the dipstick hole... something also clearly smells burnt... oil level is fine, a few weeks ago i changed it, I put Castrol Syntec in it. Just got towed home. If anyone has any ideas... oh yeah it has been leaking coolent for awhile now, pretty slowly, i always just fill it up... but it was not registering as hot in the dash. Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need more info. Does the motor run at all now, and what motor do you have?

What motor do you have? OHC OHV?

i have the OHV

and no i cant start it now it just turns over

hey guys um any help really need to figure this out, anyone else have similar problem? im thinking timing chain... dont know too much about my motor. any schematics online? if i threw a rod, or turned a bearing it wouldnt be turning over right... maybe fuel pump.... anyone!?!??!?

santeebuds said:
hey guys um any help really need to figure this out, anyone else have similar problem? im thinking timing chain... dont know too much about my motor. any schematics online? if i threw a rod, or turned a bearing it wouldnt be turning over right... maybe fuel pump.... anyone!?!??!?

Well, there's only three things that make the engine run, and it's not getting one of them. (I know, it's obvious.... I'm getting there.... gotta start with the basics)

1) Compression. On that engine, it's relatively easy to check. A bad timing chain will prevent it. I don't think that's where your problem is though.

2) Spark. I wouldn't put my money here. It was running and barring an un-forseen catastrophic electronic failure (which is rare) we can probably rule this out. However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull a wire off and check for spark. While you're at it, pull the plug and see what kind of condition it's in. Oily? Watery? Fuel-coated?

3) Fuel. This is where I'd put my money. Did you get gas shortly before the problem? I've seen it happen more times than any gas station will admit. Water gets pumped out of the tanks and into customers cars. (it forms from condensation on the in-ground tanks) Draining the fuel and refilling with fresh gas is often all it takes with no ill effects on the engine.

Also, with a gas problem, it will get progressively worse as you lose fuel and/or fuel pressure. It would also explain why it happened while it was running, as well as why it won't start now.

Try this: Pick up a can of starting fluid and spray it into the intake (right into the throttle body) while someone else cranks it. If it will sputter and/or run on the ether from the can, it's a fuel problem either with the supply or the fuel itself.

Hope that helps narrow it down a bit. Let us know what you find!

-Joe

hadnt got gas for like week before it happened... and why would there be smoke coming from the oil....? thanks and was going to try the starting fluid later today to try to narrow it down

A similar situation happened to me not too long ago, the problem was multiple misfires with some electrical components... not sure of what exactly. Has you check engine light been on for sometime before the car died?

Roy
K&N Filter
Flowmaster

it had alwyas gone on and off...

You sure there is gas in the tank? If you turn the key to "on", do you hear the fuel pump whining?

um good suggestion i thought of that one myself earlier, my keys are in a friends car, dang it, i would feel so stupid... if thats the case

alright got my keys, its registering as a quarter of tank when i put the key to on i hear the fuel pump make a noise, i guess "whining" for like a few seconds

no go for the starting fluid either

If it's cranking, but won't start even with the starter fluid, then I'd go with no spark. Check the relays under the hood, the ignition switch, and possibly the PCM.

before you even waste your time doing all that, take off your distributer cap and see if the rotor is spinng while someone cranks it, if not then its your timing chain/belt.

Back