lost transmission fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lost transmission fluid

blacklab

Reaction score
City, State
bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
Was driving normally when rpm increased and noticed smoke from rear of vehicle. tranmission started to slip then wouldn't move after I pulled over.
Any guesses as to how bad this may be?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was the O/D OFF light flashing? Post some vehicle specs.

No flashing lights. It is a 2000 4 litre , auto. It didn't smell burnt, there is oil everywhere underneath so hard to tell where its from. It all happened in about the time it takes to tell the tail.

If it came out that fast seems like you could have someone dump some in while you watch to see where it is coming from. The 5.0 liter's tranny takes like 15 qt (5 qt just for the pan) to fill entire system and i know its not cheap so hopefully you didn't loose it all.

Changed out the filter and filled with oil. Seems to work fine but now OD off light is flasshing while driving. Did a 300 mile trip today only issue is the light flashing and won't shift into OD. Grinding noise when slowing to a stop.
Is it going to last long or should I scrap it. Vehicle is only worth about $3000.

Torque converter probably going out.

Torque converter probably going out.

The transmission puked out enough fluid quickly to stop moving the vehicle. Put more fluid in, now none leaks out?

How could one implicate the torque converter? As far as I know, the only likely leak sources are cooling lines, vent, front seal, or rear seal. (or cracked case).
imp

It now seems to be working fine, not even making the grinding noise.
I'm wondering if it was stuck in 4wd. There is no sign of leakage.

well the first question would be ... how much fluid was there when you dropped the pan to change the filter? Next question would then be... how much fluid did you add back once you changed the filter. Lastly what color was the "drained fluid" from the pan?
Lastly, have you checked your rad lately???... :-(

Without looking at it, I'd suspect pump seal.. Or it overheated and started to spew

4 litres to get it to run into the shop. whatever it took to refill after the filter change. It really smelled burned.

The transmission puked out enough fluid quickly to stop moving the vehicle. Put more fluid in, now none leaks out?

How could one implicate the torque converter? As far as I know, the only likely leak sources are cooling lines, vent, front seal, or rear seal. (or cracked case).
imp

Torque converter clutch slipping, torque converter overheats, fluid foams & spews out the vent tube. Fluid will be black and smell horrible, I mean BAD. I have seen it happen more than once.

Yes the fluid smelled BAD really bad.
It seems to be working fine now other than the O/D off light starts flashing after driving about 15 minutes.
Can transmission shop plug it in to see what the codes says.
I'm not going to spend a lot of money on repairs to a vehicle I can replace for under $3000

Yes get the codes read, the flashing light is no bueno.

Got the local shop to read the codes today. This is what they found- PO741 torque converter, clutch system performance, stuck.
Does anybody know what means?

The O/D off light didnt' come on while driving today , just short trips.

I would say you are going to have an unhappy tranny experience ... :-( my guess excessive slip due to loss of clutch linings.... I think that might have been your earlier "grinding sounds". The reason for no light was probably cause you didn't get to "torque lockup" which would have probably brought on the light.

I hate to admit this but the grinding was a front brake that wore out at the same time a s the transmission problem. New brakes no more grinding.
The frustrating part about all this is there is no problem with how the vehicle opperates, it drives fine shifts fine, goes in and out of AWD and OD.

Torque converter clutch slipping, torque converter overheats, fluid foams & spews out the vent tube. Fluid will be black and smell horrible, I mean BAD. I have seen it happen more than once.

Ah.....My error! When you said "torque converter going out", to me that didn't include the clutch, as I always speak of it separately. Sorry. imp

I had a Mustang that sucked trans fluid into the engine thru a vacume tube on the trans that was leaking. Burned fluid thru the motor and had white exhaust..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No oil going through engine.
Was in some deep snow today, it switched to AWD on its own like it should but the O/D off flashing but worked fine.

Back