Lots of fluid coming down power steering | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lots of fluid coming down power steering

Lazerskull

Reaction score
City, State
Loomis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, Explorer, XLT
Lots of fluid coming down this line.

Also o/d off light flashing in dash.

Also soft thud thud thud sound like a helicopter chopper noise from under carriage away from engine

Stuck at a gas station no shops around.

I might also have too much tranny fluid in now... Originally I misdiagnosed as a tranny leak and had added a half quart...

OB2 brings up no codes.

1. Can I risk driving to a mechanic?
(20 miles wet roads Donner Summit)

2. How to tell if this is just the line not something worse?

20211019_183132.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turn up real loud to hear the sound... that just started...

Attachments

• received_551889499216777.mp4
    1.6 MB

That looks to me like your shifter cable and not a fluid line…

O/D OFF flashing plus heinous noises equals big tranny problems.

That looks to me like your shifter cable and not a fluid line…

O/D OFF flashing plus heinous noises equals big tranny problems.
Yeah I have a huge tranny leak and a drumming sound in sync w the engine block pulled up dipstick fluid was hardly any and dark color.

Bust out the check book. Gonna get expensive real fast.

Nevermind - Call AAA for a tow to the nearest transmission shop - probably in Old Hangtown (pre-PC name) AKA El Dorado

While in town, make your way over to world famous "Poor Red's" and suck down a a Golden Cadillac & an order of fBBQ Spare Ribs,
that'll make you feel better ;)

Link: Poor Red's Bar-B-Q - Barbecue Restaurant in El Dorado, CA

poor_reds_logo1_medium.jpeg

goldencadillac.jpg

f8d97774-face-4fc5-9404-54dbfd6642cc.jpg

Poor-Reds-BBQ-fb-cover.jpg

Nevermind - Call AAA for a tow to the nearest transmission shop - probably in Old Hangtown (pre-PC name) AKA El Dorado

While in town, make your way over to world famous "Poor Red's" and suck down a a Golden Cadillac & an order of fBBQ Spare Ribs,
that'll make you feel better ;)

Link: Poor Red's Bar-B-Q - Barbecue Restaurant in El Dorado, CA

View attachment 422541

View attachment 422540

View attachment 422539

View attachment 422542
Thanks man. Yeah thats down S. by 50... Im up North by Truckee. Anyway I got to a mechanic. I got rear timing chain slack. Tranny is actually fine. It just vented was overheating due to pulling a heavy load uphill and user error my dumb ass trying to gas it.

Anything I can do about a lose rear chain (the back one against the firewall) w / o removing the engine?

You can try a manual tensioner…

But odds are pretty good that your plastic bits exploded, and the manual tensioner won’t help.

You can try a manual tensioner…

But odds are pretty good that your plastic bits exploded, and the manual tensioner won’t help.
Manual tensioner? But this is the chain at the back. I cant do anything unless I pull the engine right?

I’d get a new mechanic. And, probably a new car. If your trans overheated so much it puked out a ton of fluid it’s life span is gonna be dismal. Combined with tensioner issues, I’d dump it and buy something better with what your repairs would have cost.

Back