Lots of Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lots of Issues

Hey peeps,

New to the forum, but I've got a 2002 Fiord Explorer Sport 4WD with 148,000 miles and a MULTITUDE of issues, and I'd like to see if any of you guys know what dealing I'll with, in terms of time, if it can be repaired at home, and what costs I'm looking at. But first, some back story.

I was driving the road a month or two ago, when a car just a bit in front and to the left of me cut me off. I proceeded to into the lane they were previously in, when they decided to cut me off again! Needless to say, I didn't want to be near them (erratic drivers in Phoenix are never up to any good), and stitches back into the lane I was in. However, a previously unseen Expedition came out from a gas station exit about 500 ft ahead on the right, turning directly into my lane. Of course, this was the week before I changed my brake pads, so I didn't have the stopping power and slammed my right front fender into rear left of the Expedition. The car that caused the accident, of course, sped off. And since I somehow MIRACULOUSLY caused no damage to the Expedition, they departed as well, under the guise of getting their insurance info. I, being screwed over insurance-wise and having to travel for work, had to end up replacing a snapped knuckle (or spindle, I've heard both), and removing my rack and pinion and beating the right end back straight a hammer to get it back to functionality. However, when I went to go rotate my wheels, I dropped back end of the truck almost all the way to the ground. No visible damage, to me or the truck thankfully.

But now, I've got a steering wheel that: turns about a quarter turn to the right when the wheels are straight, shimmies and shakes, has entirely too much play, and likes to put extra force into turns, regardless of the direction I'm turning. I should also note that the bellows on where the steering shaft meets the rack and pinion is dry rotted and shredded. Also, there is an INTENSE grinding noise from the rear end, that is there with and without braking. Also worth noting, when I went to go get an alignment, I was informed that my frame is bent, and computerized alignments are now an impossibility.

As you can tell, there's a lot to be done, and I'm a novice. But got my owner's manual coming in the mail, and I'm determined to get her back into shape. Any and all help is appreciated.

Umm wow, okay.
Odds are good your frame is NOT bent. Alignment shops LOVE to say that when they are not smart enough to figure out which component ( or components ) are bent.
Without question I am seeing inner and outer tierods. Sounds to me like it could be the rack, but there are other components that could be causing those symptoms.
Toss on an inner and outer tie rod. Take it to an alignment shop, see if they can align it. Tell them what happened in as much detail as you can. If they can't align it post the print out here and we will work from there.

Back