Lots of Sterring Wheel Play

LoneRider

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited Edition
I drive a 1994 X - Limited 4x4 - 4.0L

I personally never noticed, but my father-in-law borrowed the X for the day as his F-150 was in the shop for repairs. He mentioned to me last night that there is a lot of play in the steering wheel. So I went out and checked and sure enough I have roughly 2 inches on both sides for play.

Now as I won't get home for another couple of hours. I've been trying to rack my head as to what might be causing this play. So far I've got a small list.

1. Power steering fluid
2. Steering box (not sure how to check this one yet)

I'm sure there's a couple other things to check, perhaps you all can help me out.

You need to check all the steering componets (ie. tie rod ends, drag link, etc...) as well as the steering box. FYI the fluid has nothing to do with it.

How many miles on it? The steering gear (box) will wear out over time. There is an adjustment that will help some. I'd agree with checking all the steering components (an alignment shop if you can't do it yourself) then if all is well
try adjusting it. With the weight off the front wheels, use a large screwdriver(straight slot) to hold the screw inside the nut on top. Loosen the nut and turn the screw clockwise until it barely starts to tighten up. Then tighten the nut while holding the screw. DO NOT over tighten the screw or you'll wear it out the rest of the way fast. This is not likely to return it to normal free play but it can help some. When it gets that bad again, it's going to need replacement/rebuilding.

Well, I just got in about 20 minutes ago. Just a long long day, not going to get a chance to take a peak tonight. The X has roughly 147000 milies on it, so it's getting up there.

Thanks for the tips on what to check. I'll try adjusting it as well. I the sort that likes to get his hand dirty from time to time.

Back