• Register Today It's free!

Lots of sync issues :(

PHOTOGRAPHER

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
So I have had my 2013 Ex XLT since January and have been experiencing some issues with Sync using my iphone 4s.

I am planning on calling Ford with some questions but I thought Id run some of them by you guys to see what you think or if any of you were having similar issues.

-Phone not syncing for calls properly: I have had several times where I get in the car and my iphone reads "sync" but nothing is coming out of the speakers so I have to quickly switch to the handset before i lose the call.

-Phone not syncing to bluetooth music stream: Several times recently when I have my iphone connected via bluetooth and I try and switch to the bluetooth audio feed it does not want to connect. It says connecting then eventually just cancels and goes back to whatever source I was on. Doesnt matter if I play a song/audio on my phone first or not. It would be nice to know if there was a proper procedure in order to make it work.

-Maps and camera issue: This just happened today but it seemed like my navigation was lagging way behind and at one point my backup camera was not working or was lagging. Things have just not worked all the time like the bluetooth but today was the first time the system actually felt slow or laggy.

I use my iphone 4s and just want to be able to hit the BLUETOOTH STREAM source and have it stream wirelessly without issue. I like to use Spotify but Ive tried it with other sources of audio on the phone such as the actual music app and it still refuses to connect often.

I also just want the calls to actually come through the speakers when I have SYNC selected on my iphone.

A lot of times regardless of if the call is actually synced or not, after the call has been ended via my iphone the sync system thinks its still in the call and will keep the music muted. The only way to fix this is to turn off the system and back on again via just turning the radio on and off.

Any help or insight would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have had my 2013 Ex XLT since January and have been experiencing some issues with Sync using my iphone 4s.

I am planning on calling Ford with some questions but I thought Id run some of them by you guys to see what you think or if any of you were having similar issues.

-Phone not syncing for calls properly: I have had several times where I get in the car and my iphone reads "sync" but nothing is coming out of the speakers so I have to quickly switch to the handset before i lose the call.

-Phone not syncing to bluetooth music stream: Several times recently when I have my iphone connected via bluetooth and I try and switch to the bluetooth audio feed it does not want to connect. It says connecting then eventually just cancels and goes back to whatever source I was on. Doesnt matter if I play a song/audio on my phone first or not. It would be nice to know if there was a proper procedure in order to make it work.

-Maps and camera issue: This just happened today but it seemed like my navigation was lagging way behind and at one point my backup camera was not working or was lagging. Things have just not worked all the time like the bluetooth but today was the first time the system actually felt slow or laggy.

I use my iphone 4s and just want to be able to hit the BLUETOOTH STREAM source and have it stream wirelessly without issue. I like to use Spotify but Ive tried it with other sources of audio on the phone such as the actual music app and it still refuses to connect often.

I also just want the calls to actually come through the speakers when I have SYNC selected on my iphone.

A lot of times regardless of if the call is actually synced or not, after the call has been ended via my iphone the sync system thinks its still in the call and will keep the music muted. The only way to fix this is to turn off the system and back on again via just turning the radio on and off.

Any help or insight would be great.

Have you tried a master reset? Its in the settings menu. Try a master reset when you are parked and it should reboot MFT. Also, while it's doing that, delete SYNC from your iPhone and reboot your iPhone.

Then, when Sync comes back up, you will have to repair the device. Try the reverse pair method (that has worked for some people). The reverse pair method is where Sync searches for your iPhone. see this link to reverse pair: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/reverse-pair-phone-sync-myford-touch#reload

Also, go to www.outofmytouch.com and download the reboot file under the "MFT ACTING UP?" section. Download it to a USB stick and keep it in your car. It has a "delayed reboot.cab" file which reboots MFT (follow the directions on the site). You may periodically need to reboot it. It's not "officially" Ford sanctioned, but it comes from a Ford MFT update so it's actually Ford code.

Obviously there are no guarantees this will work. It seems that MFT and iPhone don't get along all that well.

So - your phone was working well at some point, or has it always behaved this way?

Regardless - bluetooth can be flaky period - and its not just the iPhone and Ford. I see pairing and bluetooth problems all the time (come to think of it, its mostly older blackberries that seem to have the most frequent problems).

But yes - as jrmexplorer says - re-pair the device. Its quick and easy - have you tried doing that yet? In my experience - once the bluetooth pairing for a device and car starts behaving weird - its the quickest and most foolproof way to correct it without tinkering around for hours. I also have seen Bluetooth connectivity from the iPhone start working again (in other vehicle makes & models) after rebooting the iPhone - so that is worth noting as well.

I have been having a little bluetooth issue myself recently - nothing serious though. I think I will use the 'reverse pairing' method suggested - especially since it is suggested by Ford as an alternative if you are having connection trouble.

I have the delayed reboot utility sitting on a USB stick in case I need it. I have only needed to use it once - I think it will be a rare circumstance that needs it. If I were you I would delete pairing configs from SYNC and Phone and pair them again. If that doesnt fix everything immediately - I would delete all configs, reboot MFT using the utilit, reboot the phone, and then try the reverse pairing.

Your symptom of no sound makes me unsure of where the problem actually resides - on the phone or in MFT... so for me the quickest test is to delete everything, restart everything, including the phone, and re-pair.

Note that a 'Master Reset', as you probably know... is going to wipe out ALL your user configurations settings and options and set the sytem back to a factory default and clean state. I would only do this as a last resort unless I didnt care about losing any of that.

I havent had the time to really research all of this but i did repair my iphone and the only thing it fixed was now my bluetooth audio stream is working.

It still defaults to going through sync when i dial out via the phone and STILL nothing comes through via the phone.

####ING ANNOYING!

I havent had the time to really research all of this but i did repair my iphone and the only thing it fixed was now my bluetooth audio stream is working.

It still defaults to going through sync when i dial out via the phone and STILL nothing comes through via the phone.

####ING ANNOYING!

So... did you try a master reset?

Also, when you are connected to the call, try pressing the volume up/down on the steering wheel or the radio. This increases or decreases the volume through bluetooth - perhaps your volume is too low.

Also it looks like it might be an iPhone problem unrelated to MFT specifically (other users are reporting problems with aftermarket headsets): https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2498329?start=615&tstart=0

One solution you can try that they posted there is to turn off WI-FI on the phone.

QUOTE: "Yes there is a annoying problem with the Bluetooth devices on the iPhone 4 & I worked out that if you disconnect from your wifi by activating the personal hotspot then the Bluetooth will work! "

If you go to the first page, the first post on that thread complains about a lack of bluetooth range. Is your iPhone inside a pocket or something? Try putting it closer to the MFT (cupholder perhaps). That might also make sense wrt turning off WiFi as I believe they both use the same frequency band so the interference may be decreasing the range of the connection.

In sum:
1.) try getting the iPhone closer
2.) Turn up the volume
3.) turn off wifi

Oh, also make sure you have updated to the latest iOS software on your iPhone as well.

I tried the delayed reboot and it worked for now. Thanks duders.

photofellow, I'm glad the "Delayed Reboot" simple fix worked for you in this instance. However, seems to me Ford themselves should be ashamed for not providing or supporting such a simple quick fix to their customers....Our 2013 XLT has been a headache, and I would not recommend Ford to anyone at this point...... best regards Plum

Back