Loud bang, now lower gas mileage !!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud bang, now lower gas mileage !!!

captainquigg

Reaction score
City, State
Harrison, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Explorer XLT, 215K
This one has me stumped:
I have a 2006 Explorer, V6 4.0, 5 speed auto trans, w/ 130,000 mi. I replaced the oil and filter at about 127,000 mi. Also changed plugs at that time w/ Iridium plugs (that was the first time and none broke off, lucky me), changed front disk pads and checked all fluids. Also added about a pint of "Marvel Mystery Oil" to my oil to clean internal engine components and block.

At around 128,500 miles, I was driving down the road and heard a loud bang/thump come from either under the vehicle or engine compartment. It felt like something hit the bottom of the vehicle, but I didn't see anything in the road. I don't know whether the bang scared me and I took my foot off the gas for a second, or the car lost power for a second. But it kept going and I have noticed no other problems other than my gas mileage has dropped about 3-4 mpg since the bang.

Car idles smoothly, runs smoothly, no noises or vibrations, seems to have same amount of power. Checked for loose wires, plugs, etc. but I can't figure out why the gas mileage has dropped so much after the bang. Since the MPG's were low, I changed the oil and filter again at 130,000. Thought maybe I had a blown head gasket, but oil didn't have water/antifreeze in it, and radiator didn't have any oil in it. Anyone have any ideas concerning "bang" and lower gas mileage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it possible you just ran over something, and you noticed the mileage drop as a result of "looking for something wrong" so to speak?

Well, the vehicle's digitial readout used to say I was getting about 17 MPG, now it down to 14's-15.1.

This has nothing to do with the bang but when was the last time you changed your fuel filter. They should be changed about every 30K

Not really on topic but the 4.0 doesnt really like "fancy" spark plugs.

It's on topic as far as I'm concerned, and it's something I didn't know. Also, I was gonna change the fuel filter, spark plug wires, coolant hoses and go to a 16 lb radiator cap. And repair a coolant leak somewhere around my thermostat housing. Can't tell where the leak is, but I understand these things have an ongoing problem with radiator/coolant leaks.

Maybe the "17" was a long term average. If you just reset the mpg, you might currently only be getting 14-15 due to the type of driving you are doing now. ie. city driving with a/c on, etc...

Back