• Register Today It's free!

loud clunk in front end

nexpo

Reaction score
City, State
medford newyork
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
i have a 93 xlt and i have a loud clunk noise in the front end. when i come to a stop and let brakes go i hear a clunk. brake pads are new and caliper pins are in good shape. i have jacked up front tires and cant find anything that looks suspicious. could it be the bushings from the bar that attaches the axel to the frame? any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have a 1st gen but everytime I read about a 1st gen having clunking noises it is almost always radius arm bushings ("the bushings from the bar that attaches the axel to the frame") Check those would be my suggestions

^^yep^^ RA bushings are the first thing to check.

loud clunk

Probably bushings autozone sells them for 20 bucks

That kind of clunking is usually associated to the Radius arm bushings or the slip joints the drive shaft(s). Radius arm clunks occur at the bushings (which you can feel right under the feet locations of the front seats).

Don't mean to take over your thread, but I have the same issue with my '91 Ex. I've replaced the RA bushings many times, the last time about 1 year ago, and I still have the "clunking". I need to replace my upper and lower ball joints next. Question - would bad ball joints cause the clunking?

i got same problem on a 92 explorer. ive looked under car and can see how the radius arm bushing is moving around on the bushing and frame. could we just tighten our bushing, mine doesnt look that bad?

Wow, a lot of us seem to have the same problem. I just posted a couple of pictures of my RA bushing on another post. I get a loud clunk evertime I go through a dip. Unfortunately mine was like this when I bought it a month ago and the damage required me to get a new bracket. Money is just too tight at the moment. Three month old with a cold and wife not working anymore. Got to find her 1400 a month elsewhere!

thanks guys, can we tighten these or should i just replace. they dont really look bad. when replacing these is their any tension on the arms that i should know about, or is it a straight up job that is as easy as it looks.

Don't mean to take over your thread, but I have the same issue with my '91 Ex. I've replaced the RA bushings many times, the last time about 1 year ago, and I still have the "clunking". I need to replace my upper and lower ball joints next. Question - would bad ball joints cause the clunking?

Yup. My upper driver side ball joint clunks at full lock and pulling outta my driveway.

If your RA bushings have been replaced and are still in good condition, the next possible culprit is ball joints.

Before you tackle them however, check the bolts that attach the Radius arms to the beams (one under the beam and one under the coil spring seat).

Make sure these are 'feet on beam, both hands on wrench and put your back into it' tight!

Don't forget to check your tie rod ends while you're at it.

Yo, Albino - I just did a very thorough inspection of my upper and lower ball joints and they look solid and brand new (I've heard this from a couple of shops also). So I turned my attention back to my 1-year old RA bushings. With the vehicle jacked up and the wheels off, I can see a small space between the arm and the front bushing, but I can't get the nut to tighten even a fraction of an inch. I already ensured that they were torqued to spec when I did the replacement, and tightened them up about 6 months later (past torque spec). All other bushings and tie rods were replaced at the same time. They've all been checked and everything was done correctly.

The only thing involving the front of my EX that hasn't been replaced is my inner wheel bearings.

Where would you suggest I turn to now? Thoughts?

Oh yeah, I also replaced the shocks and front springs, along with the rear shocks and leafs, and even added air bags. Tires are inflated properly.

The radius arm bushing bolt 'bottoms out' on the arm at the end of the threads, it can only get so tight. You can put another washer in front of the front bushing if it concerns you.

The bolts I speak of are on the top and bottom of the axle beam. One is under the coil spring seat (coil must be remove to get to it) and the other is under the beam. I usually put the cup of my jack under the bottom one to ensure the jack doesn't slide out.

Those are the bolts that need to be torqued to 'feet on the beams, both hands on the wrench and put your back into it' tight. I had similar clunking after installing a locker in front. We tightened the bolts what we thought to be tight but,,,,,

After the 'both hands' tightening, the clunk is gone.

Back