Loud Noise from under the hood

Yuvi

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello,

I am new to the forum and not very handy with vehicles. I was hoping someone could help me identifying what the problem is with my 2013 Ford Explorer (V6).

I was driving home with the family today when I heard a loud thump noise from underneath/engine compartment of the SUV. I thought I might have drove over a bump but when I looked back the road was clear. I was about 5 miles from home and as I got closer I could smell a burning odour from the vents (ac was running). The vehicle was running fine so I turned off the AC but as I approached my home, I could hear a clicking sound coming from underneath. Once parked, a loud hissing noice could be heard from the engine for an hour or so and then it stopped. I tried starting up the explorer again and this is the noise it is making. I was hoping someone might have dealt with or head this noise before.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Yuvi. :wave:
I'm afraid I can't be of much help with this one. It doesn't sound good and I don't recall another post with this type of issue. I'm sure that some more mechanically inclined members may have an idea. Is there any type of coloured exhaust coming out of the pipes? Is the oil level okay and does the oil look good on the dipstick? Any leaks anywhere?

Peter

Hissing can be steam. Is there still coolant in the system?

Have you checked your belt tensioner? I'm waiting for my new one to come in since my makes a horrible rattling/metallic noise. It's more prominent with the AC on too.

Does the sound change with engine RPM? It kind of sounds like your belt has started to come apart and the stringy bits are slapping everything as they go around. I had this happen in another vehicle. That wouldn't really explain the hissing sound you heard after the vehicle was off though.

Does the sound change with engine RPM? It kind of sounds like your belt has started to come apart and the stringy bits are slapping everything as they go around. I had this happen in another vehicle. That wouldn't really explain the hissing sound you heard after the vehicle was off though.

I second this. One of the things that made me lose confidence in my dealer was when they failed to note the deteriorating condition of my drive belt one oil change. Marked it as good on the report. 2 days later I am changing my spark plugs and found that rather that one complete inch wide belt I had what appeared to be 5-10 strands of belts running around the pulleys, but it was still connected in some spots. The belt had shredded horizontally so I could totally see some of these breaking, still being connected to the rest of the belt and slapping as it went around.

I suspect hissing from small hole in one of the cooling hoses or AC lines torn by the belt whipping around.

I second this. One of the things that made me lose confidence in my dealer was when they failed to note the deteriorating condition of my drive belt one oil change. Marked it as good on the report. 2 days later I am changing my spark plugs and found that rather that one complete inch wide belt I had what appeared to be 5-10 strands of belts running around the pulleys, but it was still connected in some spots. The belt had shredded horizontally so I could totally see some of these breaking, still being connected to the rest of the belt and slapping as it went around.

I suspect hissing from small hole in one of the cooling hoses or AC lines torn by the belt whipping around.

Good call on the AC line, a small leak could take 30 minutes to evacuate the pressure. Need OP to chime in and confirm the AC quite working.

Belts are one of those things you don't think about until it's too late, next thing you know, you're stranded over a $30 belt. There are two belts on the 3.5 by the way so be sure to check both.

Welcome to the Forum Humphrey. :wave:
............................................. Need OP to chime in and confirm the AC quite working.............................................
That might be helpful, but since he said that he turned it OFF due to the smell, I am left to guess that it was working. We'll see.

Peter

Back