Loud noise under hood | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud noise under hood

Miranda31313

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
A couple months ago my 1998 Ford Explorer started making a loud noise. As I'm driving, it sounds like a fan is coming on under the hood... It's very loud. Sounds like the fan is coming on. Kind of like when your car is idling and the fan comes on when you have been sitting Parked with the car on for a while. When the loud fan noise goes off, my car acts like it's going to stall out and it kicks back a little and it struggles to accelerate. Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The IAC (Idle air control) can make a weird noise like that. Sometimes it almost sounds like a whistle or a high powered fan. You can take it off and clean it and try that. If any more help is needed reply again

We bought a new one to put on. Thanks so much for your suggestion.
My husband said that sounds like it could be the issue. I will post and let you know how the car is after we install it!

I believe that solved the problem! The car drives much better now. Thanks a lot!!!

The IAC (Idle air control) can make a weird noise like that. Sometimes it almost sounds like a whistle or a high powered fan. You can take it off and clean it and try that. If any more help is needed reply again
Great call :thumbsup: Too bad all fixes aren't this easy. ;)

Back