• Register Today It's free!

loud popping

96explorer96

Reaction score
City, State
crandall,ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer sport 2wd
I noticed today when I go over a big bump my 00 explorer sport will bounce up and down hard,also it pops pretty bad also while turning,does it sound like shocks,cv joints or ball joints? Has 200 x.. on it,what can I do to make it smoother,thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When was the last time any of that has been replaced? Jack it up and see if the wheel has any play, then take it off and inspect the components... if it's a minor pop it could just be a broken sway bar link. Considering the bouncing it is likely you need new shocks too.

As stated above it sounds like you have more then one problem, the popping sound to me sounds like ball joints. Check the boots on the ball joints to see if they are torn & jack it up & check for play in the ball joints. The bouncing could be bad shocks or you may have a broken sway bar end link.

Popping while turning sounds like a bad CV joint. Bouncing over bumps would be bad shocks.

I'm not sure when and if anything has been replaced,I know it needs shocks for sure,I just bought the explorer so don't know to much about it yet,when you turn it's no cv joint pop it's louder than that,also does the same thing at curves and hitting dips I'm the roads,I'll try to record it tomorrow

I noticed today when I go over a big bump my 00 explorer sport will bounce up and down hard,also it pops pretty bad also while turning,does it sound like shocks,cv joints or ball joints? Has 200 x.. on it,what can I do to make it smoother,thanks

Yes.

Any or all of it.

Back