• Register Today It's free!

Loud racket from compressor

Nick2x2

Reaction score
City, State
Hemet California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer 4x4
So, First off I rarely use the A/C in my truck. It's a first gen OHV. A few weeks ago I went to use the A/C and there was a really loud, continuous clatter. Almost sounds like really fast clicking. This all starts when I press in the button to turn on the A/C. When I turn off the A/C it goes away.. Heater works great and that's pretty much all I know..

I'm thinking the clutch on the compressor went bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the way; The A/C does blow somewhat cold air.

Did you get this fixed?

Where's the sound coming from?
Because you don't use it, could be an oil issue in the compressor.

Haven't even got around to looking at it but the noise is from the compressor itself. Only when electricity is sent to it to activate it. The noise is very loud and consist of repetitive "clacking". With prolonged activity it smokes and smells like something is burning. The air blows cold above 2000RPM. I have near no experience with A/C but I am 609 Certified :confused:

If you have a leak, you may have lost oil. Like an engine, it'll go out. Also, Ford compressors have what's known as Black Death. Internals go to pot. If you were to evacuate the system (legally of course) then pull the orifice tube and see if it's covered in black crap.

A shop will evacuate the system, just don't run the ac until it's been refilled. You can check the orifice yourself.

Haven't even got around to looking at it but the noise is from the compressor itself. Only when electricity is sent to it to activate it. The noise is very loud and consist of repetitive "clacking". With prolonged activity it smokes and smells like something is burning. The air blows cold above 2000RPM. I have near no experience with A/C but I am 609 Certified :confused:
It sounds like your compressor is dying, whatever the cause may be. The "clacking" is the sound of internals ripping themselves apart, same as a motor with a rod knock,etc... Stop using it. Its going to lock up on you unexpectedly and take out the belt with it, leaving you stuck somewhere.

Unfortunately, when the compressor goes like that, you're going to have to pretty much replace the entire a/c system. EVERYTHING will be contaminated with sludge and broken bits of compressor. If you try to cheap out and just replace the compressor, the remaining "crap" in the system will quickly destroy your new compressor (and void any warranty on it). With a catastrophic compressor failure, no amount of flushing the other parts will get them clean enough.

Back