Loud Rattling Noise Upon Cold Engine Start | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud Rattling Noise Upon Cold Engine Start

Did anyone find out what is causing this?

So I am headed to the dealer again next week. They couldn't replicate it last time so I took it back home. From the stuff I researched, it sounds like it could be the the cam phasors or timing chain stretch. Anybody have any new information on this issue?
I'm going next week as well. The driver's side flex pipe which was rattling was ordered last month and needs to be installed. Hopefully it fixes it. Of course the weather is warm here now so it won't be as cold at start and may not rattle until it gets cold again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going next week as well. The driver's side flex pipe which was rattling was ordered last month and needs to be installed. Hopefully it fixes it. Of course the weather is warm here now so it won't be as cold at start and may not rattle until it gets cold again.
Sounds good... mine has been rattling some in 40 degree weather too....I'm going to try and make another video for the dealer

Sounds good... mine has been rattling some in 40 degree weather too....I'm going to try and make another video for the dealer
Update....so I found out when I put it into drive or reverse the rattle immediately goes away. What does that say? The timing chain tightens up when doing this?

The timing chain is contained within the engine and doesn't care if you're in park, neutral, drive or reverse. But what does happen when you shift into drive or reverse is that the engine "twists" slightly on its motor mounts. The position of the engine changes slightly, and this also changes the position of the exhaust pipes. To accommodate this slight twist, manufacturers incorporate flex pipes on the exhaust system; otherwise the exhaust pipes would fatigue and crack from repetitive flexing. To find your start-up rattle, I suggest looking at the exhaust pipes and/or anything else that changes position when you put a load on the engine by shifting into gear. It's also possible you have a weak or broken motor mount that allows the engine to "twist" more than it should.

Mine only makes the noise at cold start. So I would think with the engine twist it would be happening when warm too on warm start up...and pipe noise when warm too. Where is that flexible pipe located?

Hi, our 2020 Explorer ST is currently in the shop due to a loud rattling noise when the cold engine is started. This did not occur when the vehicle was new but I was just notified by the dealership that this would be 'normal'. Does your vehicle make this sound, too?

Rattling Sound

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your input! Yes, exactly, it sounds like a diesel and is VERY loud! It started doing this after the first 2K miles so I have no idea why this should be considered 'normal'. It's almost embarrassing when you start the vehicle on a parking lot.

I'll take it to another dealership but first, I will demand them to have this 'normal' sound replicate on one of the other STs they have sitting on their lot. Don't think that will happen - LOL!

Thanks again!:thumbsup:
I’m have the same engine noise on my 2020 explorer st, what was the outcome with the Ford dealership. The noise is definitely coming from the engine.

Mine only makes the noise at cold start. So I would think with the engine twist it would be happening when warm too on warm start up...and pipe noise when warm too. Where is that flexible pipe located?
In this photo of the underside of my 2020 Platinum, I've circled the flex pipes. There's a flex pipe between each exhaust pipe and the muffler. That black, waffle-pattern rectangle is the bottom of the transmission; front of the vehicle is toward the top of the photo.

Flex Pipes.jpg

Thanks for the pic...Mine is definitely up front by the engine. I will try to check the motor mounts.

On mine it is a strong vibration coming from the drivers side exhaust at the flex pipe. I have a video of it and will try to post a link soon. It is there at start up and while driving. It goes away when the engine warms up and drops the idle down.

On mine it is a strong vibration coming from the drivers side exhaust at the flex pipe. I have a video of it and will try to post a link soon. It is there at start up and while driving. It goes away when the engine warms up and drops the idle down.
Here is a link to the video. the vibration is very hard to see because it is at a pretty high vibration rate. 20210425_133742.mp4

Have you taken it to the dealer to have it checked for the TSB?

Peter

Have you taken it to the dealer to have it checked for the TSB?

Peter
I will when I get some time. I'll also have them look again at the front left suspension for that dull noise that comes when driving over small bumps. It's sooooo annoying.....

:chug:

Hi, our 2020 Explorer ST is currently in the shop due to a loud rattling noise when the cold engine is started. This did not occur when the vehicle was new but I was just notified by the dealership that this would be 'normal'. Does your vehicle make this sound, too?

Rattling Sound

Thanks in advance!
So I was just googling cold engine starts as well and came across this thread

I think there is an engine issue that Ford isn’t talking about publicly.

Little History

In 2018, I bought a new raptor. First engine, some rattling upon start up plus had some significant power/shifting issues, but that startup rattle was present at that time. They did the buyback (in this case though there was metal in engine-unrelated to the noise so that was the cause of the buyback) but they only wanted to replace the block. That was unacceptable when to me when the car stood on the dealer service lifts for over four months with it only 5000 miles on it.

They relented and gave me a brand new raptor finally.

I was pleased with the exchange had no issues aside from leaving my weather tech mats in the old vehicle 🤦🏽‍♂️

I bought my wife a navigator the following year and shortly after, my raptor began to have that cold diesel start…took it in and dealer heard the noise and was able to replicate it. They ordered new phasers and replaced them. Sound went away, but now the sound is back at 50k miles

What’s strange is our navigator has the same startup sound…cold diesel sound at 24k miles.

She has a recall according to the app, pertaining to the phaser timing but they don’t have the programming yet available at the dealers…

There has to be a common part with the explorer, raptor and navigator that cause that noise…

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I may start leasing too!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There are pros and cons to both buying and leasing. Since I don't keep my vehicles for more than 3 - 4 years, I lease. I can't see myself buying a new vehicle ever again. A used one, perhaps, but not a new one.
I have had the Aviator since October 31, 2019 and have only 3050 miles on it but no start-up rattling. Although it is on a 48 month lease, I expect the dealer to be calling before then because of the low mileage I put on.;)

Peter

Back