Loud Rattling Noise Upon Cold Engine Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud Rattling Noise Upon Cold Engine Start

LincolnAviFan

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa Bay, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator BL GT
Hi, our 2020 Explorer ST is currently in the shop due to a loud rattling noise when the cold engine is started. This did not occur when the vehicle was new but I was just notified by the dealership that this would be 'normal'. Does your vehicle make this sound, too?

Rattling Sound

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't hear that on mine. Almost sounds like a diesel rattle starting up. I would either take it back in or try a different service shop.

Don't hear that on mine. Almost sounds like a diesel rattle starting up. I would either take it back in or try a different service shop.

Thanks for your input! Yes, exactly, it sounds like a diesel and is VERY loud! It started doing this after the first 2K miles so I have no idea why this should be considered 'normal'. It's almost embarrassing when you start the vehicle on a parking lot.

I'll take it to another dealership but first, I will demand them to have this 'normal' sound replicate on one of the other STs they have sitting on their lot. Don't think that will happen - LOL!

Thanks again!:thumbsup:

Have them show you the sound on another if it is normal. There should be zero rattling.

Have them show you the sound on another if it is normal. There should be zero rattling.

Thanks - and that's EXACTLY what I'm going to do!

My
Hi, our 2020 Explorer ST is currently in the shop due to a loud rattling noise when the cold engine is started. This did not occur when the vehicle was new but I was just notified by the dealership that this would be 'normal'. Does your vehicle make this sound, too?

Rattling Sound

Thanks in advance!
MY 2020 Exolorer ST made noise at start up after sitting overnight. My noise was much louder than yours. I just completed a buy back and I hope my 2nd ST will be trouble free. The problem happened at 6500 miles.

Thanks for your input! Yes, exactly, it sounds like a diesel and is VERY loud! It started doing this after the first 2K miles so I have no idea why this should be considered 'normal'. It's almost embarrassing when you start the vehicle on a parking lot.

I'll take it to another dealership but first, I will demand them to have this 'normal' sound replicate on one of the other STs they have sitting on their lot. Don't think that will happen - LOL!

Thanks again!:thumbsup:

Rattling Sound

Thanks in advance!
I just bought a 2020 ST and it’s making that same noise. Only had 7 miles on this SUV when I bought it 3 weeks ago. Just a day or two later it started that noise when I start the engine. Just like yours when engine is cold. It’s in shop now and service department says that they are in contact with Ford and the next step is to tear the engine down. To say the least I’m not happy. It’s a brand new car and I refuse to have a torn down engine. Has yours been fixed? If so, what did they determine was wrong with it?

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I hope the member is still following this thread. He hasn't been active here since he posted that.

Peter

Sounds like the lifters could be wearing super prematurely... definitely not normal

I just bought a 2020 ST and it’s making that same noise. Only had 7 miles on this SUV when I bought it 3 weeks ago. Just a day or two later it started that noise when I start the engine. Just like yours when engine is cold. It’s in shop now and service department says that they are in contact with Ford and the next step is to tear the engine down. To say the least I’m not happy. It’s a brand new car and I refuse to have a torn down engine. Has yours been fixed? If so, what did they determine was wrong with it?
^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I hope the member is still following this thread. He hasn't been active here since he posted that.

Peter

Hi folks!

Yes, I'm still here! Unfortunately, ours is still not fixed. Although the dealer now agrees that there is something wrong, we had to drop off the car and pick it up again TWICE and the issue is still not fixed. They are claiming that the parts to fix it are currently not available and that we are OK driving the vehicle for now. Of course, we are not very happy since we can't verify if this info is actually accurate. Another thing I'm not too happy about is the fact that the dealer provided us no paperwork so I can't tell for sure what the issue is. This is going on for months now and if we don't hear anything back until the end of the year, we will notify Ford and I will be much more aggressive about it. Ours is a lease and I don't think I have to pay the full rate if they are unable to fix this.

UPDATE: Just got an unexpected call from my dealership, telling me that the long awaited parts finally came in. Set up a drop-off appointment for November 4th. Will keep you all updated.

UPDATE: Just got an unexpected call from my dealership, telling me that the long awaited parts finally came in. Set up a drop-off appointment for November 4th. Will keep you all updated.
Did they ever tell you what part was needed to correct this problem. I took my car back to dealership yesterday in hopes they could determine what’s wrong with it. Still have not heard from them.

Did they ever tell you what part was needed to correct this problem. I took my car back to dealership yesterday in hopes they could determine what’s wrong with it. Still have not heard from them.

I will make sure that I get a service ticket when I pick up the car.

I will make sure that I get a service ticket when I pick up the car.
Have you gotten your Ford Explorer fixed yet? If so, I would like to know what they did to correct the noise on the cold engine start.

Yeah, was your vehicle fixed with the parts they got? If yes, can you kindly share details.

Well, folks, my vehicle is STILL NOT FIXED!:mad:

Dropped it off on the 4th and got a call Thursday, telling me it would still 'make some noise' and that they had to order another part and they tried to 'expedite' this order. I don't know what you guys think but IMO, this is getting ridiculous.

Service advisor mentioned something about a 'solenoid' they had to get now. IMO, this car is turning into a certain yellow fruit now...

They also mentioned that they had to 'take it apart, put it back together and then, take it apart again'. Something I really don't appreciate on a new vehicle.

Mind you, this is the third time the vehicle is in for this issue. First, they could not find the issue I had, stating that another sound was normal (a sound I was not referring to). Then, they knew what was wrong but after dropping off the car, they noticed that a part was missing and after months of waiting, almost two weeks in the shop and it's still not fixed. What do you guys think? I'd say if it's not fixed by the end of the next week, they can keep it for good and I'll ask for a buy back. It seems that there are members on here who had the same issue and it could not be fixed. I'm having the feeling that it indeed CAN'T be fixed at all...

Well, folks, my vehicle is STILL NOT FIXED!:mad:

Dropped it off on the 4th and got a call Thursday, telling me it would still 'make some noise' and that they had to order another part and they tried to 'expedite' this order. I don't know what you guys think but IMO, this is getting ridiculous.

Service advisor mentioned something about a 'solenoid' they had to get now. IMO, this car is turning into a certain yellow fruit now...

They also mentioned that they had to 'take it apart, put it back together and then, take it apart again'. Something I really don't appreciate on a new vehicle.

Mind you, this is the third time the vehicle is in for this issue. First, they could not find the issue I had, stating that another sound was normal (a sound I was not referring to). Then, they knew what was wrong but after dropping off the car, they noticed that a part was missing and after months of waiting, almost two weeks in the shop and it's still not fixed. What do you guys think? I'd say if it's not fixed by the end of the next week, they can keep it for good and I'll ask for a buy back. It seems that there are members on here who had the same issue and it could not be fixed. I'm having the feeling that it indeed CAN'T be fixed at all...

Cant be fixed this is too normal. In New cars it's the way they build them.... Variable valve timing setup with indexing camshafts that snap snap snap as they turn to open and close the valves super hard and fast. A brand spanking new one won't do it because that timing chain is super tight not even touching the guides but as it loosens and the motor starts using the tensioners and guides u will hear it start to slap slap slap every time it warms up. Older explorers had milder cams softer valve springs and didn't really agressively start like that... It should stop once its fully warmed up. Vvt sylenoid is a damm good try but way off they thought it just wasn't parking right when u shut it off... Not the case. All manufacturers have a similar issue with the noise and this motor style. They claim it's incredibly durable so the noise isn't a problem. Timing chains new motors last around 100k miles on my 91 no noise lasts indefinitely.

A new timing chain would fix it for less than 5k miles then it will start again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cant be fixed this is too normal. In New cars it's the way they build them....

That certainly leaves the question why not more members are experiencing this and why Ford would even approve a buy back on something that is 'normal'. It also appears that this issue only pops up on the ST and not on the other models. So far, I haven't seen any reports about this issue on Aviators.

I know for sure that I won't accept a $60K vehicle that wakes up the entire neighborhood and sounds like a 50 year old diesel.

Back