Loud roaring under hood while accelerating | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud roaring under hood while accelerating

mine hadnt made the noise for about 2 months, until i heard it today. weird... i dont know what to do. i ran my car for about 5 mins and then turned it off and by hand tried to move the fan and it was turning quite easily.

This sucks, the fan started roaring real loud again and then my overheat symbol came on yesterday. Took it into a ford dealer, and they say I have a small leak in my radiator, like real small. The radiators on these things are definitely faulty, there should be a recall.

Anyways, they want me to replace it. They said thermostat was okay, fan clutch was okay....this sucks...btw my car only has 50k mileage

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This sucks, the fan started roaring real loud again and then my overheat symbol came on yesterday. Took it into a ford dealer, and they say I have a small leak in my radiator, like real small. The radiators on these things are definitely faulty, there should be a recall.

Anyways, they want me to replace it. They said thermostat was okay, fan clutch was okay....this sucks...btw my car only has 50k mileage

Well thanks for sharing, I may not have noticed what I did today. I was near the front of my truck and smelled that sweet antifreeze smell. There is a slight spatter and ever so small drips on the floor. Looks like there is dried evidence of it happening "over time" as well.

I wonder if I have what you do, or something similar- leaky hose, something else. Maybe I'll try to post some pics to share. Looks like evidence on the frame and A/C hose, not sure what it means.

So again- thanks! More data, better diagnosis.

Well thanks for sharing, I may not have noticed what I did today. I was near the front of my truck and smelled that sweet antifreeze smell. There is a slight spatter and ever so small drips on the floor. Looks like there is dried evidence of it happening "over time" as well.

I wonder if I have what you do, or something similar- leaky hose, something else. Maybe I'll try to post some pics to share. Looks like evidence on the frame and A/C hose, not sure what it means.

So again- thanks! More data, better diagnosis.

Now this is just a guess, and I am no expert, but...

...yeah I hate to say it but you probably do a have a leaky radiator...probably a really, really small leak. Its just a fact of life with the original radiators Ford had in these explorers. Mine started off that way too, but the leak just got bigger and bigger. At the point where you are right now, you might as well go ahead and keep adding coolant/water periodically (thats what I did at least), just to get as much use out of that radiator as you possibly can before you have to get a new one.

That fan getting louder, more frequently is just a sign of things to come probably. As I said in an earlier post, for me the roaring fan noise started coming on again after a couple of months of not hearing it, until finally the overheat sensor came on when the fan was roaring. Once I saw that light pop on, it actually went back to normal temp. after about 10 secs, but I wasnt going to risk it so I got it towed to the shop. (i was hoping it was a hose or something, but I knew what was about to happen)

There is another thread on this forum that discusses these radiator issues. I would tell you everything Ive learned but its just too much information to type down. But you should definitely check it out, good luck buddy.

PS: In that other thread you'll hear talk of the PCM update. I got this done at the dealer when I got my new radiator, and let me tell you it is really worth it. TRUST ME, even if you dont do the radiator at the dealer, get that update done on your computer

Now this is just a guess, and I am no expert, but...

...yeah I hate to say it but you probably do a have a leaky radiator...probably a really, really small leak. Its just a fact of life with the original radiators Ford had in these explorers. Mine started off that way too, but the leak just got bigger and bigger.

So it's taken me forever to get back on here, and I hate it when people never follow up on their posts, especially when I'm trying to troubleshoot the same exact issue.

I haven't solved the original issue yet- my fan still does the same thing unfortunately. However I have yet more information. You were right jakesc, I did have a leak- it got much bigger, it was a crack where the plastic met the metal. I had to replace the radiator.

That didn't solve my issue, and now (of course after I replaced the radiator) I see small and quick temp spikes sometimes before the fan kicks on. But not always. So now I'm thinking I could also have a bad thermostat. I should have done that at the same time as the radiator.

I am not convinced that's my only issue though, because it's happened on a long road trip while towing, and the fan was going on/off/on/off over and over for much of the trip with no spikes in temp. And the ambient temperature was fairly low- 50 I think. Maybe lower. And highway driving about 65.

So I want to change the thermostat, and look into the clutch, PCM, and maybe the tranny's theromo unit mentioned earlier. I have a feeling this is one reason why this otherwise mint truck was traded in with low mileage and in good condition. Once I get this under control I hope to have a very nice truck on my hands. For now it's still a pain. I hope to get this under control before I find out it's more than a pain in August! :rolleyes:

So it's taken me forever to get back on here, and I hate it when people never follow up on their posts, especially when I'm trying to troubleshoot the same exact issue.

I haven't solved the original issue yet- my fan still does the same thing unfortunately. However I have yet more information. You were right jakesc, I did have a leak- it got much bigger, it was a crack where the plastic met the metal. I had to replace the radiator.

That didn't solve my issue, and now (of course after I replaced the radiator) I see small and quick temp spikes sometimes before the fan kicks on. But not always. So now I'm thinking I could also have a bad thermostat. I should have done that at the same time as the radiator.

I am not convinced that's my only issue though, because it's happened on a long road trip while towing, and the fan was going on/off/on/off over and over for much of the trip with no spikes in temp. And the ambient temperature was fairly low- 50 I think. Maybe lower. And highway driving about 65.

So I want to change the thermostat, and look into the clutch, PCM, and maybe the tranny's theromo unit mentioned earlier. I have a feeling this is one reason why this otherwise mint truck was traded in with low mileage and in good condition. Once I get this under control I hope to have a very nice truck on my hands. For now it's still a pain. I hope to get this under control before I find out it's more than a pain in August! :rolleyes:

I doubt its the thermostat. Those are usually replaced when you get a new radiator...When I got my new radiator I got the Ford dealer to update my PCM, it actually did wonders for my vehicle. Supposedly with the update your transmission temperature is more accurately measured, along with correcting a few minor computer problems. Ever since I got it done I have no longer heard the really loud fan noise. I'd update your PCM if you haven't done that yet.

And even more updates in this ongoing drama. It's like my wife's soap operas. On the drive home from work this past Friday evening before Memorial Day Weekend, the radiator ruptured and flooded the driveway with coolant. :roll: Yes that would be the one that was installed in February. I took it back and they just replaced this "defective radiator" under both parts and labor warranty. Glad I didn't have pay anything- or even fight about not paying anything, but still a pain.

I doubt its the thermostat. Those are usually replaced when you get a new radiator...When I got my new radiator I got the Ford dealer to update my PCM, it actually did wonders for my vehicle. Supposedly with the update your transmission temperature is more accurately measured, along with correcting a few minor computer problems. Ever since I got it done I have no longer heard the really loud fan noise. I'd update your PCM if you haven't done that yet.

I checked my receipt (as I needed it anyway) and they did not replace the thermostat- and I foolishly did not think to have them do it this time just to see since they were doing the radiator this time. Doh! Easy enough job but when the coolant is already drained... oh well.

I will call around for a Ford dealer that will update my PCM. I got mine used at a Nissan dealer who has been doing the warranty work so far. Not sure how to call and word what I'm thinking- "hey, can you update my PCM because my truck sounds like an F16?"

Thanks!

I'd update your PCM if you haven't done that yet.

I made an appointment for next week. I did some searching and determined the version of the PCM software (firmware?) I am running (oddly termed "Part Number" and "Catchword") and found the latest version available as well- I am many revisions behind.

The dealer said that "if there isn't an update available, we'll troubleshoot the problem" since I have to pay for the labor anyway. I was playing dumb regarding knowing so much about the versions, etc. So we'll see- maybe they'll update it and figure out my fan issue all in one. It did seem like they would look at the available updates and determine if it was related to my problem and go from there- if nothing was related to fan or temp- they wouldn't apply it. I'm a computer guy so I like to run the latest version with any and all bugfixes so I'd almost like to have it anyway...

I'm glad I called around- the rate varied from over $150 down to $98. I could probably find cheaper but with the price of gas it won't pay off to drive too far or take too much time from work either.

Here's hoping!

So I went to the dealership this morning, and they didn't think much of my PCM analysis. I figured out which version I had and which was the latest, etc.

They said that has nothing to do with it- the entire fan assembly needs to be replaced at close to $500.

So I went in for the PCM, paid the $98 diagnostic fee, they didn't do the PCM update, and told me the fan assembly is bad. My fear is that I'll do the fan and I'll still need the PCM update...

Either way I'll probably do the fan myself.

Well I finally have an update. The thermostat was bad and was causing the roaring noise. I replaced that and it stopped. However I went through 5 radiators in 2 years. I tried to get Ford to do the firmware update and they insisted it was the fan clutch. Long story short, I finally just traded it and got a GMC Sierra. Goodbye folks! :salute:

I am having the same issue. 2007 4.6L EB with 210,000 miles, bought it used 11,000 miles ago (over a year ago). Radiator replaced 500 miles ago and now the fan issue started up. Seems to be an issue above 65deg F ambient. I will provide updates but I am at the point of dumping it, put too much money into this already (other parts) and don't feel like putting more into it. Seems every time I bring it in for repairs, it comes out needing another.

Thanks for all of the ideas of what could be the problem...see what I can do myself first.

Hi Dave!

My husband & I purchased a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier with 3rd row seating & tow package just a few months ago in June 2016. When we purchased her, she had just over 100,000 mi on it, literally. About 1 month after our cash sale purchase date, I began noticing a few strange behaviors, (that all of which, including the one of topic in particular, are conclusively way-to-common malfunctions for beyond too many used Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Eds.-by pattern, appx. model years between 2002-2010, Ford Explorer LX/EX(whatever the top edition is under the Bauer editions)-2006-2010, & Mercury Mountaineer Premiers-2006-2010. A decent majority of posts like yours started around 2009/with avg. vehicle mileage at occurance was just over the 60,000 mi range. In my case, it started with my suv starting to slightly buck("shimmying" as now designated for us-lol), at any point within or between gears, with acceleration, happening most frequently when driving on the highway. It does happen when driving at any speed on any road, but is amplified on the highways due to insane traffic causing to have to switch lanes and therefore adjust stored for each, etc.-but also note that even the world's steadiest driving foot/smoothest driver could not prevent it from constantly occurring. The bucking also sometimes causes jerking so bad that I & many others have all shared an immediately reaction to assuming we had been rear-ended, that it is going to end up snapping the front axel/control arms/balljoints at some point, & having caused widespread panick when simply trying to merge at normal range with highway traffic when our vehicles failed to build up enough speed stepping on the gas pedal, causing three lanes of traffic to slam on their brakes & have to go around you. Many of us have realized we can almost somewhat "override" the bucking in a way by giving it a bit more gas just as you feel the vehicle siezing to buck, as well as by letting off the gas when the auto trans about to switch gears. Today, your story above had happened to me almost EXACTLY the same. (Outdoor temp @ the time was 55 degrees so def not heat-induced.) I had been in a parking lot, in "P" for appx 10-15 mins before ferrying ready to pull out of where I was visiting. Had the heat on & was fine pulling out slowly of the complex. As I turned left onto the main strip and tried to increase speed, I almost immediately heard the same, very loud, (but a bit lower-pitched tone) roaring coming from under the hood. I had described it to my husband via phone as my involuntary reaction had assured was sounding like a city public transportation bus starting to go from a stop light. I had immediately panned the mirrors as soon as I heard it as it was so loud I thought an 18-wheeler/ city bus was riding my behind THAT close. I also then moved on to the premise of overheating and also saw my temp gauge was completely normal and not at all moving/twitching or anything, (no smoke, no smell). Checked to make sure I didn't accidentally shut off "O/D", quickly moving on to radiator/blower motor problems that maybe brewing caused by my pretty high heat blowing. So I shut the heat off, & just the same as you, it did not affect anything and the noise persisted. So I pulled over, shut the car off for 30 secs, turned it back on and now an hr & a 1/2 later, haven't heard it since. I know mine & others previously-mentioned malfunctions are (no doubt in made my mind) relayed to this "shimmying" issue. No one is finding answers from multiple mechanics, techs & certified Ford techs/dealership repair all having investigated, nor getting is Ford even acknowledging the way-too-many people reporting these issues & extreme consumer demand to recall. It's not the transmission, it's not the torque converter, its not gas emmitance system issues, its not spark plugs, its not engine/gasket head issues,v its not radiotor/coolant/blower motor issues, its not an ABS issue, & the only hint our vehicles provide us to assess the issue, which is the Powertrain Indicator Light coming on for only a breif time, ends up not throwing any code at all when plugged in asap, and reads as if nothing at all happened, showing no indicator lights came on at all. And this is where we hit the brick wall deadend to getting absolutely nowhere & no assistance, not even the very least, recognition/acknowledgement of this problem leaving so many of us with no $ to purchase a different vehicle most having just purchased 2nd-hand; no indication of any sort to direct even the best mechanics at least in some sort of idea path toward solution AT ALL; & lastly/worst of atl beaten suggestions to our inquiry reports already tirelessly explored & doubled-over; silence without a hint of admittance to recognize a very blatantly obvious ongoing widespread consumer-reported problem that should have already been swiftly recalled a long time ago as even the most non-mechanical individual can recognize sizeable-enouh evidence back in 2009! Please Ford: don't let anyone get hurt before coming to a simple conclusion.

FINALLY!!! We figured it out. Bit of a story though. I finally got it to do it at the dealer. The Service Manager, Lead Tech and myself went for a ride. They agreed that the fan clutch was locking up and felt that a simple R&R would fix it. However at the last minute the Service manager decided to call Ford Engineering and he talked to an Engineer who explained that the fan clutch is controlled by the PCM (Module) and that replacing the fan would not solve the issue. He explained that for some reason the PCM thinks the engine is overheating and it is trying to increase air flow through the radiator. Makes sense. However there are no codes showing an overheating problem. Hmmmm…… Upon further investigation it was found that the trans was throwing of an overheat code! I’m not sure why that was not apparent from the beginning. The laptop showed the trans temp at 270!. No way! So up on the lift, and physically check the trans temp and fluid temp. Well, 160 all day long! Turns out that the Thermo Bypass was faulty and was misinforming the PCM that the trans was overheating and the PCM was locking up the fan clutch to pull more air to compensate. Replaced the Thermo bypass and so far problem solved. To do this you must drop the trans pan and remove the valve body as the Thermo Bypass is located in the valve body. Heading up north to Wisconsin camping this weekend, towing my 16’ Aluminum boat so that should be a good test. I think Ford should put out a TSB on this.
Dave
HELP! my 2009 and my daughters 2007 are doing the exact same thing! I have searched for the thermo bypass on the Ford Parts website and cannot find the pn or nomenclature anywhere. Can you please provide the OEM ford pn and correct nomentclature. THANKS MUCH!

I bought my 2016 Explorer XLT, preowned. On test-drive, we went city side streets, nothing too fast. Long story short, the second time I went back to dealer was when I got it.
Didn't notice this noise on the way home, but not many trips after, only on the highway it makes a noise coming from under hood. Like the wind is making the hood flap or something. I have to turn the music up to drown it out.
Starting to think this is the issue?
Thanks for the thread!

I have a 2006 Explorer (Eddie Bauer) and I have visited the dealership 7 times. The first two visits resulted in a replaced radiator and then I had to return because they did not replace the thermostat. That was 5 visits ago. The last visit was last week which resulted in a new viscuas fan. I have 51K miles and I juat cant beloeve that the roaring noise that I have been hearing is normal. I have been told that the noise is the fan, I assume this fan is also called the viscus fan or fan clutch, this fan is clicking on to cool down the engine. The funny thing is that it only clicks on when the air or defrost is on and hot outside. It is so loud! It sounds like an air plane taking off. After it shifts to second gear, the noise stops. But, once I stop at a light and accelerate, it roars up again. I am so discouraged right now. I had a 2002 Explorer and had no problems, so I bought another one, but I bought this one used.
Are there any suggestions as to what I should do.
\
Carefully unbolt it and slowly turn and slam dunk it into your trash then get an electric fan. Of make the stealer convert it. I had that issue with a 2008 Jeep Libery. That roaring was so annoying. I've had several vehicles with fan clutches that were ok but 2 fan clutches later I scrapped it and put in electric fan. It was so much quieter.

Back