Loud squeal coming from trans when placed in gear! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud squeal coming from trans when placed in gear!

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
On a jobsite for work & Out of the blue the trans started making a loud whirring / squealing noise when placed into gear. Immediately removed it from gear, and it stopped just as fast. Put it into gear again, noise returns. :scratch:
Checked the fluids and all was fine. Had a co-worker hold the brake, place into gear as I climbed under. Noise was def coming from the trans. :(

Had no choice but to drive it home. Had plenty of power, shifted fine, but it was handling different. Felt like the engine was not firing correctly at times. Came to a stop, and it stuttered a bit for a second.

Got it home, and parked it for a few days while I thought of what to do with it. Started it up, and put it into gear, and the noise was gone. Took it for a drive, and the driving characteristics have deff changed up on it, as I can feel the slight stutter on take off, and stopping. (makes me think converter)

Rebuilt 94 4wd Explorer A4LD using a master hard kit with aprox 20k miles put on it since. Re-used the T/C, and did not touch the valve body. Has been trouble free for the most part, other than it has developed a slight leak from somewhere unknown. :dunno:

So with plenty of power, can I rule out the Converter?

When the noise is present, it sounds like a fluid pressure being pinched off somehow. Solenoid? Valve body issue? Modulator?

Notes: I think the low/reverse servo needs a new seal as it has a slight reverse delay in engagement.

The leak that has developed might be the front input pump seal, as I can't find the leak anywhere obvious.

I am hoping for some words of wisdom, to help me base a course of action on a solution. ie... Repair, rebuild, replace options. Thanks to any & all in advance!

:salute:

That it consistent with a failing converter to make noise only while in gear.

If the converter is making metal it may damage the pump, I would pull the pan and inspect for debris, this can help to decide if you will need to take the transmission apart or not during the converter replacement.

That it consistent with a failing converter to make noise only while in gear.

If the converter is making metal it may damage the pump, I would pull the pan and inspect for debris, this can help to decide if you will need to take the transmission apart or not during the converter replacement.

Thank you for the reply. :thumbsup:

I will drop the pan and inspect. It's just weird it stopped doing it after sitting for a few days. :banghead:

When I did the rebuild it was only because I was attempting to tighten a band, and the clip broke off. Because I never started it again, I left the converter and valve body alone. Figured while I had it apart, I might as well install new plates and steels, seals, etc... along with the new bands. Now I wish I had replaced the converter :(

Back