Loud thump from rear drive train | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud thump from rear drive train

doeweb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XT Explorer
I have a 2011 Ford Explorer has loud thump sound coming from rear drive train when it's automatically down shifting. It almost feels like someone has hit us in the rear.

It only happens randomly and have had it looked at, their computer checks do not come up with anything.

Anyone else experience this?:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer has loud thump sound coming from rear drive train when it's automatically down shifting. It almost feels like someone has hit us in the rear.

It only happens randomly and have had it looked at, their computer checks do not come up with anything.

Anyone else experience this?:exp:
I posted the following on a thread Is There a TSB for Hard Shifting?

Here's the TSB:

2011 Ford Explorer Power Train Service Bulletin 286479

NHTSA: Action Number: 10039121 Service Bulletin Number: 286479
Report Date:
May 10, 2011Component:
Power Train
Summary: Ford: there may be a sluggish acceleration or hesitation feeling when rolling to a stop. This will be followed by a harsh bump. *rm

Not sure if that comes close to what you are experiencing.

Peter

Thank you thank you!

This is exactly what I am encountering, it's funny the ford dealer did not mention any of this.

Thank you so much for the quick posting! Love this site!

This is exactly what I am encountering, it's funny the ford dealer did not mention any of this.

Thank you so much for the quick posting! Love this site!
Glad to be able to help.

By the way, welcome to the Forum doeweb. :wavey:

Peter

I've had this happen a couple of times. It seems to be the transmission's reaction to the rear drivetrain lash caused by the driver's quick unloading then loading of the drivetrain, say at a Yield Sign or when creeping along on an entrance ramp. Ther's no solution given by the SB; only an acknowledgement that it has been noticed. Just my 2-cents

For the record, we experience it too. Funny thing is, it just seemed to start in the past month, we've had our Explorer since...junish.

I've had this happen to me first time 8 months ago going slowly down the parking lot. Right when I pressed the accelerator, a bump jolted the vehicle. Same thing happened over a bridge, right when I pressed the accelerator, the vehicle slammed like someone reared me.

This again happened to me yesterday when going up hill releasing the pedal going up a speedbump, then pressing the accelerator again to have another bump that all the passengers in the car felt and were uncomfortable with.

Make sure you can duplicate it with the dealer! My dealer was not complient with me about it even though there was a TSB and I could not duplicate the bumping. So maybe record it when you can duplicate it.

Im sure Cory will chime in but you may want to pm Cory I have the same issue and i am not sure that the dealer can replicate the problem since it happens periodically but it is quite concerning, I got a pm from Cory although i havent made a appt with the dealer but i will soon, i just dont want to be out of a vehicle while they try to fix this not sure how long it will take or be in service.

Is this an AWD only problem?

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer has loud thump sound coming from rear drive train when it's automatically down shifting...
I've had this happen a couple of times...
For the record, we experience it too...
doeweb, boss377, & Tongo,

I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do that, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

...This again happened to me yesterday when going up hill releasing the pedal going up a speedbump...
1995E,

I still have your VIN from previous messages, so shoot a PM if you’d like a follow-up.

Im sure Cory will chime in but you may want to pm Cory I have the same issue and i am not sure that the dealer can replicate the problem since it happens periodically but it is quite concerning, I got a pm from Cory although i havent made a appt with the dealer but i will soon...
Thanks for the shout-out, doney67. :) I arranged for you to be called before the end of the day tomorrow.

Cory

Cory, thank you for the offer. I'll be in touch when I can gather the info tomorrow. I see there is a TSB regarding this, or something very similar at least:

11-9-11
6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH) FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011

Now, I'm not 100%, but I think our built on date is after 4/15. Maybe this is something you can help me clarify. If our build date is later, where would that put me?

Thanks again!

Cory, thank you for the offer. I'll be in touch when I can gather the info tomorrow...Now, I'm not 100%, but I think our built on date is after 4/15. Maybe this is something you can help me clarify. If our build date is later, where would that put me?...
You’re very welcome, Tongo. I won’t be able to guess anything before getting your details. :)

Cory

Back