Loud ticking noise in my '04 Explorer 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud ticking noise in my '04 Explorer 4.0

mldan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer 4.0
Within the last 2-3 weeks, I have noticed a ticking noise. At first I thought it was just the belt, but it has started getting louder. I removed the belt and used my stethoscope to listen more carefully to see if I could tell where it was coming from. It seems to be coming from under the valve cover on the driver's side toward the front. It ticks at idle but when you drive it or race the engine, it gets louder and screeches like a belt noise, but it isn't the belt. I'm thinking it could be a number of things...a lifter, valve spring, timing chain...etc. I would like to hear your opinions and if you have had a similar problem and what was it, how much did it cost to get fixed or whatever insight you could give me. Thanks. Mike.

Mike I had the same problem with my 02 Explorer XLT, ended up being the timing chain and Jack chains. Ford put a plastic tensioner for metal chains in the vehicle. You need special tools that you CANT buy to get the Jack chains out.. Ford wanted $3000 to fix mine. You have to pull the motor in order to make this repair. I did find a mechanic that made the repair for $1600 but beware it still had a small "tick" when I got it back (because he didn't have the special tools required to do the job) So he settled up with me for $800. Hope this was helpful.

Back