Loud Whistle Noise When Moving (Consistent, Seems Unrelated to Engine) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud Whistle Noise When Moving (Consistent, Seems Unrelated to Engine)

cgrady17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello All,

I'm hoping the community can help me track down the cause of a surprisingly loud whistle-like noise that occurs only when moving. Here is a list of the conditions:
  • Easily heard within the cabin
  • Doesn't really fluctuate, definitely doesn't change with RPM
  • Occurs even with engine off (I shut the engine off while moving and the noise continued)
  • It's an 04 Mounty, V8, AWD
  • Seems loudest while coasting (maybe louder while going downhill, but not sure on that)
  • Usually doesn't occur below 15 mph
  • No check-engine-light on, no pending codes
  • Seems to be originating from the front of the vehicle, possibly more so towards the driver-side

Any help at all that you can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it have deer whistles on it?

Front wheel bearing possibly.

Does it have deer whistles on it?

Front wheel bearing possibly.

I checked all four and none of the wheels are loose, not that it's a fool-proof check.

I checked all four and none of the wheels are loose, not that it's a fool-proof check.

Very rarely will there be detectable play with the type of wheel bearings we have. It's more of a sound that lets you know they are bad.

But they don't usually whistle, more of a roar or grind.

Brakes may produce a high pitched sound.
Can you record it and post the sound clip/video?

I'm interested to see what you find.

I have a sound that comes from my dashboard area from what I can tell. It sounds like a little leprechaun is playing a kazoo in my dash. It only happens on the highway when there is a strong crosswind from the drivers side.

I've had it for a few years and it isn't a problem usually, but one of those annoying things every once in a while.

Hope you figure yours out.

That leprechaun playing a kazoo really gets around. :chug:

Bob T
:usa:

Mine does that too, I thought bad things were about to happen until the road turned to the right slightly and the noise stopped, then it curved back to the left and the noise came back.

Back