Lound Clunk when shifting into R

dman726749

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
Like the title says, my 96 makes a lound hard violent clunk and jerk when you shift it into reverse. Once shifted it goes backwards fine, and otherwise works fine. I have no idea where to start with this problem. I have just been not using reverse lately becasue the clunk is that bad. Fluid is full, and tranny is working fine.

144k on the odo

96 explo so its a 4r55e i believe.

Any ideas tranny guru's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you're absolutely sure its the transmission, I would check the simple things first such as the slip yoke, driveshaft U-joints, and the backlash/play on the pinion. BUt hey, you already know all of this - you've been on the board longer than I have :D

slip yolk is what i was thinking, hoping, or u joints..... just checking with the higher powers first before i go throwing parts and money at it :D

IZwack said:
BUt hey, you already know all of this - you've been on the board longer than I have :D

unless july comes beofre feb does, then i dont think so ;) and you are the tranny guru, so gotta check there first :D

dman726749 said:
before i go throwing parts and money at it :D
Its an Explorer - it eats money. Install one of these on each door of the vehicle:

pd190580_s.jpg

dman726749 said:
and you are the tranny guru, so gotta check there first :D
The tranny Guru is Glacier - he's the God of Gods. I'm only a Hello-Kitty Guru.

I suspect a bad u-joint. Probably the one closest to the rear diffy.

The U-joints are the cheapest parts to replace and the prime suspect in this case, IMHO.

well, went and got the u-joint tonight and some white lithium grease for the slip joint, gonna do both tomorrow after work....lets hope all goes smooth...it should i have my trusty repair manual to go with me and ease me through the process :D

I'd say u joints too. They're easy to change... I've even done them before. Unsupervised.

section525 said:
I've even done them before. Unsupervised.

So when did the inmates start running the asylum up there in Chico? ;)

Back