Lovely visit to the dealer

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So I figured I'd post about my pleasant experience at my local Lincoln dealership. All this time I've been bringing my Explorer and other Ford vehicles to Ford for service. Although most experiences are "ok", I feel like it's like pulling teeth to get them to fix the issues I bring to their attention and I'm more of a thorn to them. And when I report them, somehow they get communicated incorrectly to the tech.

So I had an appointment with my dealer that seems to be 3-4 weeks out every time. I figured with Peter having his Aviator and raving about his experiences with his dealer I'd try my local Lincoln dealer. I called last Wednesday and listed off 6 or 7 things that I needed fixed (I have 60,300 miles now at 3 1/2 years old so my Premium ESP is in effect). They said, bring it in Tuesday (today) for a drop off.. I was floored that they could get me in within a week.

Well, I show up at 12:10 and they don't have me showing as an appt lol (I thought to my self, here we go....). Regardless of that, the Asst. Service Manager took my list of things I had typed up, asked me specifics of each one, typed it up as I stated and said he will call me later. Here is my list... I just got a call back with their findings about 3 hours later.

1) GPS shows my vehicle 1/2" off the road or flickers on road, off road, on road. I had two videos of it, showed it to him and he asked me to email him the videos.
Dealer - updating sync to see if this fixes the issue.

2) Driver's side window switches starting to peel again.
Dealer - ordering windows switches and found more peeling on other doors that I was unaware of so ordering those too.

3) Clicking sound from steering column. This happens after it has moved, if you pull down on it with light pressure, it clicks into position like a gear click.
Dealer - Duplicated it and submitted to Ford tech support to see how they want to proceed

4) Recall on Exhaust/catalytic convertor 21E11
Dealer - Confirmed it had a leak and ordered parts.

5) Humming sound coming from the back end.. Speed and load specific. Almost sounds like an exhaust sound and is most pronounced in the 67-72mph.
Dealer - Confirmed noise, found passenger side exhaust has a crack in it as well towards the rear. Parts on order. Will replace both cats and exhaust pipes and retest to see if that solves the noise we hear.

6) Gas clicking off when filling. Many have also reported that here. New TSB on this that I posted to solve this problem finally.
Dealer - ordering all parts to perform TSB

7) Dealer noted a front tie rod has some play in it during their normal inspection so that is being ordered.

8) Dealer found front axle has a leak and is wet so that is being ordered as well.

It is SOOOO refreshing to have a dealer not give you a hard time about any of the complaints, be proactive and really care about your issues and want to solve them. All of this in 3 hours of time AND somehow not having my appt saved so they were not expecting me.

This is a very small, stand alone, Family owned Lincoln Dealer. Needless to say I'll continue to go to them and will heavily look at them when time for our next vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! I never really thought about taking my Ex to Lincoln. I thought they'd just turn me away since I do have other Ford dealers in the area. I'll remember that next time. 😊

There are still good dealers out there. The trick is to find one. Sounds like you hit the jack pot.

I started taking my vehicles to a Lincoln dealer about 3 years ago. The service writer who worked at the ford dealer where I used to go and where I buy my vehicles left about 15 years ago and the service dept has been going down hill since. One day we ran into him at a restaurant, he informed us that he is a service manager now at a Lincoln dealer about a half mile down the road from the ford dealer we were going to. We told him about the issues with fords service dept, so he told us to bring our stuff to him. The lincoln dealer takes good care of us and we dont have to wait 3 or 4 weeks just to get in the door. We can call about an issue and get in within a week, usually in a day or two at most.

The techs at Lincoln like to see my stuff, they like to be updated on what I've done, what my best quarter mile time, etc.

So I figured I'd post about my pleasant experience at my local Lincoln dealership. All this time I've been bringing my Explorer and other Ford vehicles to Ford for service. Although most experiences are "ok", I feel like it's like pulling teeth to get them to fix the issues I bring to their attention and I'm more of a thorn to them. And when I report them, somehow they get communicated incorrectly to the tech.

So I had an appointment with my dealer that seems to be 3-4 weeks out every time. I figured with Peter having his Aviator and raving about his experiences with his dealer I'd try my local Lincoln dealer. I called last Wednesday and listed off 6 or 7 things that I needed fixed (I have 60,300 miles now at 3 1/2 years old so my Premium ESP is in effect). They said, bring it in Tuesday (today) for a drop off.. I was floored that they could get me in within a week.

Well, I show up at 12:10 and they don't have me showing as an appt lol (I thought to my self, here we go....). Regardless of that, the Asst. Service Manager took my list of things I had typed up, asked me specifics of each one, typed it up as I stated and said he will call me later. Here is my list... I just got a call back with their findings about 3 hours later.

1) GPS shows my vehicle 1/2" off the road or flickers on road, off road, on road. I had two videos of it, showed it to him and he asked me to email him the videos.

Dealer - ordering windows switches and found more peeling on other doors that I was unaware of so ordering those too.

3) Clicking sound from steering column. This happens after it has moved, if you pull down on it with light pressure, it clicks into position like a gear click.
Dealer - Duplicated it and submitted to Ford tech support to see how they want to proceed

5) Humming sound coming from the back end.. Speed and load specific. Almost sounds like an exhaust sound and is most pronounced in the 67-72mph.
Dealer - Confirmed noise, found passenger side exhaust has a crack in it as well towards the rear. Parts on order. Will replace both cats and exhaust pipes and retest to see if that solves the noise we hear.

6) Gas clicking off when filling. Many have also reported that here. New TSB on this that I posted to solve this problem finally.

7) Dealer noted a front tie rod has some play in it during their normal inspection so that is being ordered.

8) Dealer found front axle has a leak and is wet so that is being ordered as well.

It is SOOOO refreshing to have a dealer not give you a hard time about any of the complaints, be proactive and really care about your issues and want to solve them. All of this in 3 hours of time AND somehow not having my appt saved so they were not expecting me.

This is a very small, stand alone, Family owned Lincoln Dealer. Needless to say I'll continue to go to them and will heavily look at them when time for our next vehicle.
I don't think it's the fact it's a Lincoln dealer, but because it's a GOOD dealer. Nice to here there are more good dealers out there.

My dealer has been a family owned/operated business for about 70 years and is located in a small town with a population of approx. 4000.
It is 20 miles from my place and I have dealt with them for my Explorers and Lincolns for 13 years even though there is a Ford dealership 2.5 miles away. Their reputation was the main reason.

Peter

I started taking my vehicles to a Lincoln dealer about 3 years ago. The service writer who worked at the ford dealer where I used to go and where I buy my vehicles left about 15 years ago and the service dept has been going down hill since. One day we ran into him at a restaurant, he informed us that he is a service manager now at a Lincoln dealer about a half mile down the road from the ford dealer we were going to. We told him about the issues with fords service dept, so he told us to bring our stuff to him. The lincoln dealer takes good care of us and we dont have to wait 3 or 4 weeks just to get in the door. We can call about an issue and get in within a week, usually in a day or two at most.

The techs at Lincoln like to see my stuff, they like to be updated on what I've done, what my best quarter mile time, etc.
Great to hear! I wonder, since Lincoln is the luxury brand, if they pick better staff/train them better. And if there are a lot fewer Lincolns sold than Fords, they have more time to get you in quick. Win - win!

Great to hear! I wonder, since Lincoln is the luxury brand, if they pick better staff/train them better. And if there are a lot fewer Lincolns sold than Fords, they have more time to get you in quick. Win - win!
Should have mentioned that they are a Ford/Lincoln dealership.

I don't think it's the fact it's a Lincoln dealer, but because it's a GOOD dealer. Nice to here there are more good dealers out there.
I agree to an extent. This Lincoln dealer is family owned and has been since day 1. It's small, the sons are the salesmen still and I believe their reputation is very important. They treated us like gold when I went looking for a Corsair for my MIL.

That's exactly why I think I got in so quick. Small dealer and Lincoln sales are a tenth of Ford sales. Being a stand alone dealer, they obviously can get people in quickly.

Looked like they had about 10-12 lifts in their service bay.

Wish I had a Lincoln dealer near me. I have been getting more and more frustrated with the two Ford dealerships in my area. There is a Ford Lincoln dealer about 40 minutes away, I am thinking about trying them. Also thinking about trading in the 15 Escape for a Corsair so good to get to know them. Glad you have finally been listened to and respected. Unrelated to Explorers, but related to Ford service depts. I received a letter from Ford stating that the air bag recall on my Mustang was likely never done. I brought the car in on the Takata recall, must have been 5 years ago, I don't even remember. The letter stated that an audit showed that they billed Ford for the repl. parts but may have not installed them. Once spring comes and I take the car out again I'll bring it in someplace else and if in fact that airbag was not done I will post a nice google review of our local friendly stealership.

I bought a Lincoln partially because the Ford dealership service center was a zoo in the morning. The Lincoln dealer is only a mile away. You pull inside the door and the service writer comes out and greets you. It takes a minute for the write-up, and you're offered a loaner if needed. There's a carpeted customer lounge with comfortable chairs and sofas and fresh coffee or bottled water. If I want, I can call from home and someone will come and pick up my car and leave a loaner. When it's done, I can either have it delivered or can drive the loaner back and pick up my car.

My dealer has done the "... and they don't have me showing as an appt..." twice to me. I've learned if I don't get the text and the e-mail by the next day, it's time to call. Now they print the appointment if I'm there, e-mail and text if not.

Today my dealer gave me a 2023 AWD XLT with 160 miles on it same color as mine. It drove great and shifted thru all 10 gears repeatedly, I am optimisctly hopeful that my 2021 AWD Limited Hybrid 13000 miles can be repaired to drive as well. Both have 1080rMHT trans in them.

Today my dealer gave me a 2023 AWD XLT with 160 miles on it same color as mine. It drove great and shifted thru all 10 gears repeatedly, I am optimisctly hopeful that my 2021 AWD Limited Hybrid 13000 miles can be repaired to drive as well. Both have 1080rMHT trans in them.
New Valve Body ordered today.👍

So I have to update this because all I can do is laugh in frustration..

I have to give props to the Loncoln dealership, they fixed every single thing I told them.. none of this "can't duplicate" crap.

There was one thing I mentioned to them that started happening in October. We use the easy entry so the steering wheel goes up and seat goes back when we open the door to get out. When we start it, it goes to its memory spot. My wife and I noticed every time the steering wheel moves and stops in its position that if you apply a little pressure to the wheel downward, the steering column will click once. Almost as if the gear didn't lock. Best description is a bump in the road or a speed bump. That downward lressure.. click. Only does it once until the column moves again. Then click once.

Dealer Confirmed, had to write Ford to see what they wanted to do for repair. Ford came back and said because I'm tugging on it, it's normal lmao. But if I wasn't pulling, it's not normal. Well 3 1/2 years and 65k of zero clicking... and now it just starts is not normal.

So today I get in... and this is what I hear when the column moves up lmao.

I wonder if this is normal too.

That sure sounds awful. Do you have an extended warranty to cover it?

That sure sounds awful. Do you have an extended warranty to cover it?
8yr/150k. It will be covered. It goes in on Tuesday for that and no AC for the 3rd time since owning it. Seems I have a very slow refrigerant leak. They refill/charge thebsystem and it's good for the summer and then winter comes, don't use it and by the time spring comes, it's empty again. I'm sure they will find the leak at this dealership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back