Loves older explorers need help asap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loves older explorers need help asap

Mangus17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt
I have a 1995 explorer for with 190k miles, I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on.
1. I'll get a random check engine light but 5 different scanners won't read it

2. Engine starts fine and runs just fine on a cold start but once it warms up my RPMs surge from 2500k to 0 and back up to 2500k and power is almost nil and takes forever to get up to speed.

I have changed the fuel filter, the spark plugs and wires and still no change

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a vacuum leak, might want to change the intake manifold gaskets. What engine does it have, am assuming v6.

There were a few scanners, a snap on, 2 Bosch, and a couple others

I'm trying to upload a video but it keeps saying error

Sure looks like an electrical issue with how fast it cuts in and out, not a vacuum leak. I would start by checking all of your electrical connections, ground straps etc.

Probably not a vacuum leak, looks more like a continuity problem with some wiring, possibly chaffing, thanks for the video to clear things up!

Fuel pump went out, just picked one up, well see if that's been the issue which I have kind of been suspecting

Why is your Overdrive light blinking. Fuel pump could be a problem, but the blinking OD light has me wondering about other underlying concerns as well.

Already tried that as a recap here's all I've tried.
I've changed the plugs and wires and ignition coil, fuel pump, pcv valve, checked the idle control that's working just fine, I've cleaned the maf, egr is working im just at a loss, I will unplug the egr, map, throttle position sensor and it still does the same thing

1995 uses a paper clip to test codes not a scanner, 95 is an odd year, it has a OBD2 port but it is not active. You check codes same as a 1994 explorer

Check battery cables and ground wires
Check fuses and relays in the power dist box under hood look for loose pins or corroded connectors

On my 95 the auto parts store OBD2 code reader would go through cycle and then give 'error' beep etc at end of scan...but then once hooked up to their PC it would give proper readouts.....

I got TWO OBD2 readouts from parts store on my 95....yes "appears" not compatible...'error' reading.... but then when hooked up to PC would spit out codes / issues......

If you got OBD2 connectivity you have a 96 model year. It might have been BUILT in 95, but it’s a 96.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back